Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #13: Feedback  (Read 36727 times)

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #13: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »

Nice podcast; thanks!

Don't know if it's any use to anyone, but I've used Mallock's transcription to create a subtitles file.
You can then use an appropriate audio player (e.g. VLC - use "advanced open") to play the audio and subtitles at the same time.  I couldn't see an obvious way to do it with Microsoft's Media Player though.

I chose the .SRT format because it fairly simple and I'm not doing anything clever:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4271

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 02:49:47 pm »

You guys talk about things like "Release 3" and "Release 9" and things like that. Is there someplace I can see a complete list of things planned for each individual 'Release'?
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 02:57:28 pm »

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »

Ooh. I didn't think that page updated all that much. Excellent.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 03:12:54 pm »

When we see talk of 17x17 embarks, I begin to worry a bit about scale. I would like to pretend that one of my forts could eventually be the giant economic and military center of a major civilization; a real "mountainhome" as it were. The most I've seen in my largest forts is roughly 500 dwarves, obviously by then the FPS is crawling.

What this means is, in comparison to these cities, even my largest forts could only ever hope to be a minor outpost. With these sprawling cities, It would seem that the largest army I could field when the army arc hits might be able to capture a city gate...

You always have to reduce the scale of things in games, even the proposed system does that, but the question is, "how much?" I would like the largest practical player made fort to be some kind of benchmark in deciding on matters of scale. Maybe its OK for human cities to be much larger than dwarven halls, Dwarves dig, humans breed... kinda thing, but I'd rather not see the dev goal be to make impressively large cities. I'm sure there's a right size to be found in terms of gameplay.
Cities are something you only interact with in Adventure mode. Fortresses are for fortress mode.  The disparity in army sizes is already planned for with Hill Dwarves. Seems fine to me.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

Battle-damaged buildings, dwarven slap fights, urban night creatures and fixed unarmed combat. Adventure mode has never sounded so attractive.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 08:21:02 pm »

Cities are something you only interact with in Adventure mode. Fortresses are for fortress mode.  The disparity in army sizes is already planned for with Hill Dwarves. Seems fine to me.

If I'm not mistaken, its in the army arc plan to be able to build and army in fortress mode and attack other locations.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »

Another great DF talk, very interesting stuff.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 10:02:01 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, its in the army arc plan to be able to build and army in fortress mode and attack other locations.

Yes, though I believe the plan is that you can set up outposts or outlying settlements in fortress mode that are handled off-screen much as world-map armies are. They would provide more population for world-map armies. These abstracted settlements will likely be part of the trade and civilization arc that seems to be happening off and on now.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 05:50:37 am »

this has been my favourite talk so far because I was thanked just for running with the name someone gave me like 20 years ago.

but ALSO because night creatures in the city is something I am very enthusiastic about! hopefully some day we'll see doppelgangers and hags and other terrors causing all kinds of mischief. it'd also be pretty cool if the surrounding community didn't know they were there, but instead there were like myths and local legends you could ask about. but I guess that stuff would probably come much later in development :Va

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 09:27:49 am »

Great DF talk, thanks!
Was interesting to hear about the importance of Release 5, and though a few months off I really can't wait to see how it all works out.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 11:23:12 am »

Great DF talk, thanks!
Was interesting to hear about the importance of Release 5, and though a few months off I really can't wait to see how it all works out.

Welllllll.....

the upcoming release is Release 1. After that is 2-4 weeks of bugfixes, followed by another month or so for Release 2, etc etc. So, Release 5 could be anywhere from 6-8 months from now, and will more likely be longer than that. That's not even counting the fact that Release 1 was supposed to follow this formula and ended up being divided into 2 month long parts, which opens the possibility for this to happen again.

On-topic, I do like the rough organization of the transcript page, that's a nice touch. I'm wondering, do you plan on having future DF Talks be shorter and more, "narrow" is the word I suppose? Or do you see this as more of an abberation/experiment you are unlikely to continue?

I'm not sure how I feel about a format change, although given the recent surge in DF talk frequency I have nothing to complain about. Thanks to all involved!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 12:00:48 pm »

the upcoming release is Release 1. After that is 2-4 weeks of bugfixes, followed by another month or so for Release 2, etc etc. So, Release 5 could be anywhere from 6-8 months from now, and will more likely be longer than that. That's not even counting the fact that Release 1 was supposed to follow this formula and ended up being divided into 2 month long parts, which opens the possibility for this to happen again.
The bugfix periods are supposed to be about 1 to 2 weeks. Admittedly the first one (counting from the day when Toady started to work on the older bugs) was closer to three weeks as crash fixes and other major required fixes piled up, but with any luck that doesn't have to happen every time. The release features themselves could well take one to two months to implement though, sure - none of them sound particularly easy to implement, and there's always emergent features. Six months sounds appropriate.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 12:57:11 pm »

this has been my favourite talk so far because I was thanked just for running with the name someone gave me like 20 years ago.

but ALSO because night creatures in the city is something I am very enthusiastic about! hopefully some day we'll see doppelgangers and hags and other terrors causing all kinds of mischief. it'd also be pretty cool if the surrounding community didn't know they were there, but instead there were like myths and local legends you could ask about. but I guess that stuff would probably come much later in development :Va

Lucky... as a "Melissa", I doubt my name will ever come up in the rotation  :'(
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 03:09:18 pm »

Lucky... as a "Melissa", I doubt my name will ever come up in the rotation  :'(
Perhaps one will be "and thanks to all the DF fans with girl's names". That's probably about the same amount of people as a single common male name.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4