Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #13: Feedback  (Read 36803 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #13: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 04:22:52 pm »

this has been my favourite talk so far because I was thanked just for running with the name someone gave me like 20 years ago.

but ALSO because night creatures in the city is something I am very enthusiastic about! hopefully some day we'll see doppelgangers and hags and other terrors causing all kinds of mischief. it'd also be pretty cool if the surrounding community didn't know they were there, but instead there were like myths and local legends you could ask about. but I guess that stuff would probably come much later in development :Va

Lucky... as a "Melissa", I doubt my name will ever come up in the rotation  :'(
Perhaps one will be "and thanks to all the DF fans with girl's names". That's probably about the same amount of people as a single common male name.

Even if it was 50/50, Western cultures are noted for having a significantly larger pool of girl names than boy names, and hence fewer girls per name. I'm sure someone is getting a good thesis or two out of why.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »

You are welcome,

Jeremy

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 05:53:37 pm »

Well if it helps you a bit abadidea many of players will nether be mentioned either because they are outside of the US-american culture thus 3/4 of us Europeans share that fate with you.

Also your name has a nice ring and history  ;)
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 04:36:30 am »

Oh my God.  Toady said "Rumsfeldian".  I'm dieing over here.

Pretty fascinating stuff about how large cities and invasions and player-presence is supposed to eventually work.  Ditto for purposefully non-lethal combat resolution.  Not that dwarven slapfights wouldn't be deadly in DF world anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:38 am »

Even if it was 50/50, Western cultures are noted for having a significantly larger pool of girl names than boy names, and hence fewer girls per name. I'm sure someone is getting a good thesis or two out of why.

Boy names can become unisex (e.g., Dana), and unisex names can become girl names (Adrian), but the reverse processes don't happen. Who knows why! It's a mystery.

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 05:28:57 pm »

Boy names can become unisex (e.g., Dana), and unisex names can become girl names (Adrian), but the reverse processes don't happen. Who knows why! It's a mystery.

[politicaltangent]

A significant part of it can be accounted for by formerly masculine names that end in "y" (Stacy, Sidney, Lesley, &c.), because the "y" ending is diminutive, and it is seen as more appropriate to diminutize girls. Also, while strict sex/gender binarism discourages any name cross-over, female-to-male name cross-over faces the additional barrier that it is seen as insulting to give a boy a "girl's" name. Because society hates girls.

[/politicaltangent]

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 06:16:50 pm »

But... Dana is a female-only name (although Dan is male) and Adrian is a unisex name.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 07:32:36 pm »

I chose bad (or US-centric?) examples, probably, but I think Dana is still acceptable for boys (if only just) while Adrian is less so (probably since Rocky, especially).

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 09:25:23 pm »

But... Dana is a female-only name (although Dan is male) and Adrian is a unisex name.

I am pretty sure there are more men named Dana than women.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:22 pm »

I am pretty sure there are more men named Dana than women.

I've heard Dana almost exclusively as a female name. Of course, my neighbors are named Billy Joe and Lynn, and BJ is the lady of the house, so I may be living in a fringe case.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 01:08:00 am »

I chose bad (or US-centric?) examples, probably, but I think Dana is still acceptable for boys (if only just) while Adrian is less so (probably since Rocky, especially).
I know four Adrians, and know of two more, all of them male.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 05:24:32 am »

Hm, the government proves I'm wrong. At least by rank, Dana is a girl name and Adrian is more popular for boys.

So flip my examples around, but I think the trend still stands.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:28 am »

Wow, I've never even heard of Adrian being a girl's name.

Is that a US thing?
[Signature]

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 11:49:56 am »

I dunno, the only two Adrians I've heard of (the Iron Maiden guitarist and Ozymandius from Watchmen (I THINK his name was Adrian. Seems to ring a bell)) were both male.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 01:58:45 pm »

It was Rocky's girlfriend's name in Rocky. So maybe just a US thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4