Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: As a glorified idiot, I have a suggestion  (Read 2166 times)

K.I.L.E.R

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
As a glorified idiot, I have a suggestion
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:05:52 am »

Tags inside the wiki. Half the time the information I find I can not, and when I do find the information it is by accident.

Example, I type in 'too much stone', but do not get directed to Stone Management.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=too+much+stone&go=Go

The reason I see this as an issue is because I am an idiot user. Idiot users only know simple words like 'too much stone'. Several times today the wiki failed me, despite spending virtually most of my time on there.

The wiki, in short, needs to be designed for idiots of the worst kind. I would be happy to fill out tags as I go through the wiki, but I do not see such a feature.

Another suggestion: Game term meanings when hovering over a term. Just look at the mining and ore wiki articles, I did not understand most of the terms used. This is especially useful for most of the wiki, because idiots like myself do not know big words and what they mean in the game world. In my forum posts I had to look in the wiki and in a dictionary to understand certain things that people say. Keeping in mind I do search these forums as well as the wiki.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:16:53 am by K.I.L.E.R »

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
Re: As a glorified idiot, I have a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:51:43 am »

Make an account on the wiki if you haven't already, and maybe try here:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dwarf_Fortress_Wiki_talk:Improvement_Drive

UPDATE: First comment sounded wrong, too critical.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:54:15 am by knaveofstaves »
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:30:47 am »

Does MediaWiki even support tags?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:28:58 pm »

Sounds like the Wiki needs a FAQ or the FAQ updated. "Too much stone" should be an entry in the FAQ, so it shows up when wiki is searched.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!