Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: SYSTEM  (Read 15502 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SYSTEM
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:58 pm »

Also, create some non-silicone based creatures, to serve as another caste (like plant/animal/fungus, we currently have one kingdom)
If you'd notice, I added some carbon-based life.

I'm thinking something based on a Noble Gas, or Lithium. Because Lithium and H2O just looove each other.[/i]
Create boron-based volcano-dwelling fungi!
You can't create life "based" on just any element. The element needs to be able to bind with several other elements in a versatile number of ways. The best elements for that are probably those in Period 14, for various reasons related to valance electrons...so, carbon, silicon, maybe germanium, maybe maybe tin or lead.

good sir i did my research and at this stage of tectonic activity boron-based lifeforms inside of volcanoes are nothing that should be considered impossible considering boron's chemistry is actually even more variable than carbon's and this stuff even has its own wikipedia article which you can use as a springboard to even more sources supporting my pseudoresearch

arararararar
Too variable. So variable in fact, it cannot make viable life.

there i went and pulled up an article which doesn't support me in any way, claim my research was pseudoresearch in the same post and generally babble around and they grab me by the other end of the argument and smash it again

you guys ;_;

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:06 pm »

This is a Bay12 full scale evolution game. An argument on feasibility had to happen, or this wouldn't be considered a success.

Anyway.

I'm all for volcanic Boronites, but we need something ready to evolve in an explosive way. Volcanoes aren't a great place to spread life.

!!FUN!! yes, life... maybe not. Though, if the Boronites, the Carbonites, and the Siliconites all spread, we could have a Columbus Meets The Natives event on scales unheard of... should they all survive. I'm still all for a Lithiumite, but Lithium is a metal. I'd say we at least need to use things from the nonmetals that are not gases at room temperature or are more common in forms that are not gases.

+1 Boron
+1 Carbon
±0 Silicon, in my vote.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2013, 08:25:35 pm »

How about positroniumites? It wouldn't work at all, but we're God so it doesn't matter.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »

You can't create life "based" on just any element. The element needs to be able to bind with several other elements in a versatile number of ways. The best elements for that are probably those in Period 14, for various reasons related to valance electrons...so, carbon, silicon, maybe germanium, maybe maybe tin or lead.
The positive ones would work too, Lithium is one of the highly reactive ones, and Flourine... jesus.
[/quote]
There is such a thing as too reactive. It's called "unstable."

Anyways...if possible, how about both silicon- and carbon-based microbes? And maybe boron, if that would actually work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2013, 09:22:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure Boron could. Probably, however, wouldn't ascend farther than small animals if that- Silicon could form some pretty advanced stuff but I can imagine that would take some huge amounts of time and, in all likelyhood, silicons would be closer to plants of some nature than active creatures. Carbon is our best bet even if it is decidedly boring. Phosphorous or Potassium could be a good choice.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34:42 am »

can we still get some germanium life somewhere?
like on the Dwarf world? it wont need to be large... just enough that whatever we create can find it someday.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2013, 02:49:59 pm »

If the temperatures are way too low for silicon based life, let's make some other life base for our oceans, boron would be cool.
And make some silicon based creatures living inside the supervolcanoes.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 03:55:27 pm »

oh yeah, silicates are high-heat. forgot lo:

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 04:34:42 pm »

LIFE HAS BEEN FORMED!

It seems to have advanced slightly while you were zooming in. But it's still lacking something... Something beyond other life to play with.

The white hexagons are dissolved minerals such as salts and metals. The red helixes are naturally occuring proteins in the primeval slurry, i.e. Life that has yet to develop any kind of shell. The white cell in the center is the first full Life on the planet. The other molecules don't react.

You may not directly control the White Cell. However, you may modify it's environment. The Cell will react to most stimuli; but it's still a single cell. It doesn't have any cognitive processes yet! Try not to kill it, for if you do, and it has not yet bred, your SYSTEM will be lost, and the simulation will end.

Life is a fragile and precious thing. Protect it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:42:29 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2013, 04:39:44 pm »

Throw some minerals at the cell, to try to get it to form a mineral shell.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »

((How did we manage to create a parasite(virus) without it having anything to parasite on.

Besides, virii are questionably alive.))

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

Gently pat the cell with glucose.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:41 pm »

((How did we manage to create a parasite(virus) without it having anything to parasite on.

Besides, virii are questionably alive.))
*cell

That's what I meant.

It's more ameaboa(SP)-like than anything, though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »

EARTHQUAKE. Shaking is what caused the first cells to undergo meiosis.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:37 pm »

Gently pat the cell with glucose.
+1
Then
Throw some minerals at the cell, to try to get it to form a mineral shell.
+1, but gently/.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12