Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: SYSTEM  (Read 15544 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: SYSTEM
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2013, 09:57:41 am »

What did we make the life based on? Boron or carbon?
Carbon. I've never heard of Boron as a viable candidate for life. I know zilch about what life made of Boron would have to act like different from Carbon-based life.

And Silcate life would die. So Carbon.
Just to note, Silicate is something completely different than Silicon. Silicate is made up of silicon and oxygen.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2013, 04:20:24 pm »

I just wanna say why would Silicon life necessarily be slow and hard? Carbon-based life is squishy but all (I think?) other carbon forms we know of are either combustible (coal) or hard-as-fuck (diamond).

Just saying.

Of course, if silicon life is squishy too, what's the point in doing it? It wouldn't change anything.

... This is just a long way to say PTW.

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2013, 04:31:39 pm »

Silicon-based life has two big advantages over carbon-based that you're ignoring.

1. Sand and other sediments contain lots of silicon. Terravores wouldn't be entirely ridiculous.
2. It's cool to be different.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2013, 04:33:56 pm »

Can we still create life? I don't think it said anywhere we couldn't.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:28 am »

Let's just go with what we know: Carbon.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2013, 03:36:00 pm »

WE HAVE LIFE.
lets keep it alive, shall we?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2013, 08:36:29 pm »

HAH!  Let us play with some chemicals.  Some chemical has to make it divide so we have more to work with. ;)  We should find out what element it is made from first, if it is boring old carbon, or something interesting, like iron based life.  Let us first test how it will react with its natural surroundings.  We should spawn a molecule of DeoxyriboNucleic Acid of random genes.  Actually we should probably let our cell roam before the beginning of our meddlings with life. 

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:21 pm »

Give our little critter some NaCl.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2013, 08:54:23 pm »

Screw silicon based, make lead based. Or better and weirder; argon based.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »

But that's physically imposs-
Bay 12 Rejects Your Conventional Logic!

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2013, 09:14:56 pm »

But that's physically imposs-
Bay 12 Rejects Your Conventional Logic!

How do know yet,You Human never Get off this Rock yet so and There A lot thing about matter yet do not unterstand

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:34 pm »

We do, however, understand chemistry pretty well. And if elements don't work the same in space as they do on Earth, might as well throw everything out.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2013, 10:11:41 pm »

We do, however, understand chemistry pretty well. And if elements don't work the same in space as they do on Earth, might as well throw everything out.

Do know all human knowledge about universe you get number like this 0.0000000001 and What know Matter is that Reaction and Bonding and Small is Bigger also this,My Father Explain me this long time ago

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »

Laws are still laws. Most of our knowledge of chemistry is lawful, meaning that, unless we start finding areas of the universe that break basic law, such as other dimensions, then we get no deviation. New elements would doubtfully create life due to their great size- stability and reactivity become problems- not to mention the amount of electrons required for that kind of thing. You'd be suprised at how much of the lower periodic table is man-made, and the still large amount of elements that simply refuse to exist for long in our world.

Not to be mean, but is English your first language? I don't want to be that guy who's an insensitive dick when explaining things. Even if we had workarounds, which are feasible depending on what theories you believe, they simply wouldn't work in a law-based game such as this.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:18:33 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2013, 10:17:33 pm »

Do know all human knowledge about universe you get number like this 0.0000000001 and What know Matter is that Reaction and Bonding and Small is Bigger also this,My Father Explain me this long time ago
Guess what matters most for this particular problem?
Reaction and Bonding
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12