Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: SYSTEM  (Read 15477 times)

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SYSTEM
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2013, 06:28:59 pm »

PTW
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2013, 06:37:41 pm »

Ho hum. Continental drift works in this world, right?

Create some plants like silicon-based algae*, and some sponges*, and some silicon-based bacteria* living in various places, and some silicon-based fungi*, and silicon-based diatons*, and silicon-based protists* of various sorts, and a single species of carbon-based bacteria which lives by the hydrothermal vents.

Long-term goal:
Create some mats of sargasso-like plants, but silicon-based, so big and thick they can function as small islands when creatures come along. Give them floating, juicy fruits. Also create some sort of animal to eat these fruits and spread the seeds within.

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2013, 06:40:16 pm »

Also, create some non-silicone based creatures, to serve as another caste (like plant/animal/fungus, we currently have one kingdom)
If you'd notice, I added some carbon-based life.

I'm thinking something based on a Noble Gas, or Lithium. Because Lithium and H2O just looove each other.[/i]
Create boron-based volcano-dwelling fungi!
You can't create life "based" on just any element. The element needs to be able to bind with several other elements in a versatile number of ways. The best elements for that are probably those in Period 14, for various reasons related to valance electrons...so, carbon, silicon, maybe germanium, maybe maybe tin or lead.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »

Lets get some Germanium based things on one of the icecaps. i vote the southern ones.
four arms/legs small and 6 fingers on each limb. and a tail.
think smart monkey
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:54 pm »

Lets get some Germanium based things on one of the icecaps. i vote the southern ones.
think smart monkey
Start simple. There's no life on land yet; we're still Precambrian. No monkies yet.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »

eventually?

perhaps a creature that live at a volcano that blows them around the world?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2013, 06:52:45 pm »

think smart monkey
Start simple. There's no life on land yet; we're still Precambrian. No monkies yet.

Then Make Crazyest Life form to made by human mind

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »

To everyone voting for Non-carbon based life: Silicate lifeforms on this planet would either be glacially slow to do everything, not making a very good game and also not evolving fast enough to escape before the sun goes supernova, or would die from the relatively absolutely freezing tempratures of the planet.

You guys made a earth-like planet. Just warning you because it would seem cruel to have your life die on the first post in the Evolution scale.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2013, 07:09:04 pm »

Make Carbon based micro-organisms then. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2013, 07:34:44 pm »

Make Carbon based micro-organisms then.
+1.

Also, unimportant germanium-based or silicate extremophile bacteria living in the/a volcano(s).
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2013, 07:46:39 pm »

Also, create some non-silicone based creatures, to serve as another caste (like plant/animal/fungus, we currently have one kingdom)

I'm thinking something based on a Noble Gas, or Lithium. Because Lithium and H2O just looove each other.[/i]
You can't create life "based" on just any element. The element needs to be able to bind with several other elements in a versatile number of ways. The best elements for that are probably those in Period 14, for various reasons related to valance electrons...so, carbon, silicon, maybe germanium, maybe maybe tin or lead.

The positive ones would work too, Lithium is one of the highly reactive ones, and Flourine... jesus.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2013, 07:48:50 pm »

good sir i did my research and at this stage of tectonic activity boron-based lifeforms inside of volcanoes are nothing that should be considered impossible considering boron's chemistry is actually even more variable than carbon's and this stuff even has its own wikipedia article which you can use as a springboard to even more sources supporting my pseudoresearch

arararararar

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:11 pm »

good sir i did my research and at this stage of tectonic activity boron-based lifeforms inside of volcanoes are nothing that should be considered impossible considering boron's chemistry is actually even more variable than carbon's and this stuff even has its own wikipedia article which you can use as a springboard to even more sources supporting my pseudoresearch

arararararar
Too variable. So variable in fact, it cannot make viable life.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »

We should seed some silicon-based life on one of the moons of Barney, for future !!Fun!!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:11 pm »

I say we should set up an area for carbon based life, and another area for silicon based life. Then later, we can have an era of racism and war, finally closing the debate of whether carbon or silicon based life is better.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12