Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner  (Read 55334 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:38 am »

After that long period of waiting for the editor the updates just keep coming. Now that the fundamentals of the engine have worked out they are really pushing out new content fast.

Anyway, the big news is that according to the devs basic multiplayer is coming soon. As in, a week or so away.

http://www.blockaderunnergame.com/news/tabid/149/EntryId/170/Todays-Progress-Multiplayer-Destruction.aspx

I am surprised this thread isn't more active to be honest. After watching it develop for a year I am feeling more and more certain that this game is going to be a really big hit in the near future.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2012, 11:48:59 pm »

Video of multiplayer testing is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QGVobhKvY&feature=player_embedded

8)

that looks fairly cool, except it's weird that when you shoot up another ship, blocks just disappear regardless of any kind of ship cohesion or anything. I am sure that wont be the final way it works, i hope.
I got nothing

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2012, 12:30:58 pm »

At the moment its more or less a slug-fest on how damage and whatnot is done.  Armor will eventually have an effect, and as more ship systems come online (I.E. power, air, ect.), they'll be implimented into multiplayer to increase to the depth and overall realism.  At this point though, people get to build what they want, and then get with a couple of friends to blow 'em up.  Good enough for me.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:32 pm »

Two additional mechanics are needed for battle damage to make sense:

1) Floating blocks: these would be just blocks that aren't attached to an entity, they're just debris. They can be picked up, maybe. So, any block that isn't attached to the hull of the ship becomes free floating.

2) Entity splitting: when something like a major joint is broken, the piece just becomes its own "ship" basically. This would let you break a ship in half (not sure if at this point either half should be even working, but that's a mechanic of however ships are wired I guess). The engine should recognize when a chunk is large enough to become a free entity instead of just "blowing" into a bunch of free blocks.

Obviously, a well armored/designed ship wouldn't have such a "weak spot", it would be just as strong as anything else, so in reality not more effective than blowing the bridge or whatever. But nicer to see :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:45:07 pm by Sergius »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2012, 12:58:47 pm »

Obviously, a well armored/designed ship wouldn't have such a "weak spot", it would be just as strong as anything else, so in reality not more effective than blowing the bridge or whatever. But nicer to see :)

That would be a sphere o.O. Or else a long ship would have a weak spot as it would be one of its axys.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2012, 03:17:02 pm »

That would be a sphere o.O. Or else a long ship would have a weak spot as it would be one of its axys.

You missed the point.

The emphasis is on weak. Just because a spot is narrow doesn't make it more breakable than any other part. It should be well armored so that destroying it is as hard as any other part (yeah, hitting the cargo hold constantly is probably a waste, but targeting vitals such as bridge or power plant is just as good as going for the thin axis joint things.

For all we know, a ship may be a long nearly indestructible bar of armored metal, with soft modules attached to it from outside.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:52 pm »

Additional work on collision spheres and the system for implimenting damage are being worked on.  Eventually, the point will be to have bits and peices of your ship blow off during combat, with peices floating away and armor being shreaded and all the good stuff. That's already a part of the plan, Sergius.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 06, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

Additional work on collision spheres and the system for implimenting damage are being worked on.  Eventually, the point will be to have bits and peices of your ship blow off during combat, with peices floating away and armor being shreaded and all the good stuff. That's already a part of the plan, Sergius.

Yeah I figured that. Just pointing out what was missing.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:36 am »

Sadly, that definition of 'missing' isn't accurate. It has yet to be implimented into the system, and thus cannot be subjected to such things. Mwhahaha.

All the same, it IS a planned feature.  And not one that ranks high on the priorities list. Sorry.  All the same, collision spheres are being worked on, so tactics like ramming and the like will probably soon be available.

"All hands abandon ship! Set autopilot to ramming speed!"  8)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2012, 02:41:02 am »

Welp, multiplayer is out now.  8)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2012, 10:32:26 pm »

Bump.

http://www.blockaderunnergame.com/news/tabid/149/EntryId/212/Todays-Progress-May-21st.aspx

New update out with updated physics. Devs are now testing first person movement. We should be able to walk around inside our ships soon. ^^

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 26, 2012, 04:02:51 am »

Front page update with a new multiplayer video showing off the new physics engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhQ0r8G5rI&feature=player_embedded

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 31, 2012, 10:01:58 pm »

Bump.

Bunch of updates. You can now play in first person. Also, asteroids.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24