Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner  (Read 55352 times)

Zanmgt.Aaron

• Bay Watcher
  • Creative Director, ZanMgt
    • View Profile
    • ZanMgt
Re: More Minecraft-inspired Awesome AND WE'RE IN SPACE - Blockade Runner
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2011, 04:10:48 pm »

- GAME MODE CONSTRUCTION

How do you see the basics of the game world working? How do I go from an avatar floating about in space (or starting in a space station?), to building my own ship? With minecraft its fairly realistic to be able to craft everything single handedly because of the low level of tech we are dealing with, but what about blockade runner? Will you buy necessary components and combine them yourself into specific blocks on the spot? Will some/many/all? of the components be directly harvestable/craftable yourself via some kind of development chain?

You will not be building ships as you do right now.  In-space adjustments or hull patches can be done using special construction equipment, but shipyards are the intended spot to build/modify your ships.  This is due to both the improved interface of a shipyard and its “in-world facilities”.  If it happens to be more fun to build ships entirely in-transit, well then we'll try and accommodate that.  We just want to make sure the ships do not feel “cheap” as if any ol' Star Destroyer could be assembled within minutes by one guy.

Otherwise “crafting” complex materials out in the wild-blue-yonder will be handled by a “Synthesizer”, more or less your “crafting box”.  The synthesizer materials can be combined into objects and broken apart again into their basic elements. Constructing synthesized objects on-the-spot is convenient, but in the end inferior to the naturally produced items you can purchase from manufacturers.

- SHIP PHYSICS

I've been thinking a bit about ship physics, and I've been wondering how you might deal with some problems that might arise when representing stress on the ship structure. (I'm basing this on the assumption that the current model is temporary anyway, which you have mentioned somewhere I think. Ideally, it shouldn't be possible for blocks to float in mid air while still aligning with the rest of the object, right?)
What is preventing people making ships with extremely strange shapes which would be physically impossible under something approaching real physics? For example, massive engines being linked by a think thread of blocks to the body of the ship, perhaps even with a u-bend? Will this just have to be accepted, or is there some way of calculating the stress load places on individual squares? If possible I think this would be pretty cool, especially if the load limit changes depending on the square type. So, when designing your ship, especially with large ones, you need to make sure you have lots of strong steel girders running along in a kind of 'spine' to hold everything together.

The physics are temporary.  We'll be working with spherical collision and basic rigid-body physics (think billiard balls), eventually introducing a more precise collision system that properly envelopes each entity.

Floating blocks flying in the air will not float there for too great amount of time, we will have a bit of code that should work very well in removing floating bits.

Although it won't be in for a bit, larger engines will require a proper structure to support their generated force.  This will likely not be totally real-world accurate, but enough to prevent most unrealistic situations.

- CONTROLS

How do you envisage the basic mechanics of ship control design? Leaving aside unique control blocks like ship flight/weapon systems, I'm guessing you might have a system something like this...

1. Action blocks. Single function with state of ON or OFF. I.E.

- Air pump - Moves air from one side to the other when activated. Three versions (north/south, east/west, up/down).
- Vent - Acts as open block for purpose of air when activated.
- Doors (not really a block perhaps, but anyway)

2. Power/Communication blocks.

- Links to other bocks of same time to create a route for signal/power for action blocks.

3. Command block.

- Activating it sends a signal

Is this about right? I'm guessing you don't want command blocks magically or wirelessly connecting to action blocks, as it makes ship design/damage less interesting. OK, I was thinking though that you wouldn't want to have to make unique circuits for every command to action block set up, as you could end up with an unmanageable number of cables everywhere, esp. in large ships. So, could you make it so that action blocks and command blocks can run through the same communication cable? So long as there is a viable route for the signal to cross, it's OK? Linking specific command blocks to specific action blocks could be done by say, holding an engineer tool of some kind while using the blocks.

I could keep going but that's enough for now! Looking forward to every update.

We already coded each block in the game to handle utilities running through them.  Whereas eventually these will branch into specific systems, Blockade Runner will have in the meantime an all-encompassing “utility” line that you can rope through the bulkheads and floorspace to connect your ship's subsystems.  So this “omni-utility” line would be both your power-source and your IO connectivity.  For now.

How you're able to use that IO connection to interface with the many interactables in the game, now that's something special we're working on. =D

We do also intend to have “Magical” wireless to be an option (and will probably available earlier then utility lines), as it's the easiest to code and easiest for players to work with while building a ship (Do I have power?  Good then my computer will work too).  However we like gameplay penalties for conveniences, and in this case it would be wireless being prone to external and internal disruption.

I've posted this thread on the ZanMgt forums as well (for those who can tolerate the clunkiness of the default DNN forum  :-\ )
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:14:39 pm by Zanmgt.Aaron »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2011, 04:43:19 pm »

Cool, another indie dev has come to answer stuff here!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »

Very interesting answers too!

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2011, 07:41:36 pm »

Yeah, I gotta say it will be interesting to see how the design part works in game in particular. Thanks for the reply!
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2011, 02:17:50 am »

Thanks for the information. Glad to see another indie dev stop by for a bit!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2011, 05:43:02 am »

Just to say, I already love this game. Playing around with the 'tech-demo' is awesome, and has taken up continual chunks of my free time sense I found it in R3. lol.  With R7, its been even more cool; and I love tearing apart the available ships and then making my own designs, most of which are very lop-sided, which makes things awesomely FUN. Mwhahahaha!  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2011, 08:28:43 am »

Cool, another indie dev has come to answer stuff here!

This is just a reoccurring thing, its the greatest.

Thank you Zanmgt.Aaron for going though the trouble to answer question, and thank yourself and your brothers for making an ambitious project.

A concept I realy like in sci-fiction is boarding parties trying to take control or dismantle an opposing forces ship.
Is such a feature a possibility in your game?
Thank you based dwarf.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2011, 09:00:37 am »

Downloaded and played around with it for a bit, and I've gotta say. That's a pretty well made engine.

Also, I look forwards to being able to cruise around in my Infinity Plus One ship, near the newbie trade lanes, blasting my pimpin wireless jammer, and making all the silly noobs' ships shit themselves.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2011, 01:51:39 pm »

Looks promising. I'll have to check this out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »

Downloading this now, looks cool.
Also posting to watch
*Hugs*

Zanmgt.Aaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ZanMgt
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2011, 10:06:51 am »

A concept I realy like in sci-fiction is boarding parties trying to take control or dismantle an opposing forces ship.
Is such a feature a possibility in your game?

Yes, this is an essential part of the plan for Blockade Runner.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »

The thruster system is indeed cool, but is it just me or is it reaaallly hard to make a ship with properly "calibrated" thrust? Anything I make either spins ever so slightly when I move forward, and/or does not rotate in the correct direction when I try to change roll/pitch/yaw. I know it should be possible to fix these issues by placing thrusters extremely meticulously, but that's a bit of a pain, especially once we'd have extremely huge ships that obviously can't be 100% symmetrical. Heck, if I place, say, a crew bunk on one side of such a ship, I'd have to put a crew bunk in the exact same symmetrical location on the other side, or have the whole ship move strangely.

I hope there will be some kind of thrust-compensation/tweaking for thrusters to negate such problems. Maybe have a computer that does that, so that big ships would need such a computer practically all the time, while very small ships that can easily be made symmetrical (say, fighters) can save space by not including it. Also, taking out this computer on a large ship (with electronic warfare/physical sabotaging) would make driving the ship very hard.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Zanmgt.Aaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ZanMgt
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2011, 01:43:41 pm »

The thruster system is indeed cool, but is it just me or is it reaaallly hard to make a ship with properly "calibrated" thrust? Anything I make either spins ever so slightly when I move forward, and/or does not rotate in the correct direction when I try to change roll/pitch/yaw. I know it should be possible to fix these issues by placing thrusters extremely meticulously, but that's a bit of a pain, especially once we'd have extremely huge ships that obviously can't be 100% symmetrical. Heck, if I place, say, a crew bunk on one side of such a ship, I'd have to put a crew bunk in the exact same symmetrical location on the other side, or have the whole ship move strangely.

I hope there will be some kind of thrust-compensation/tweaking for thrusters to negate such problems. Maybe have a computer that does that, so that big ships would need such a computer practically all the time, while very small ships that can easily be made symmetrical (say, fighters) can save space by not including it. Also, taking out this computer on a large ship (with electronic warfare/physical sabotaging) would make driving the ship very hard.

Thruster controls are *really* touchy at the moment because every thruster is firing at 100%.  This will be cleaned up with a much smoother control system soon.  We wanted to get the UI system upgraded first, as the old UI system took way too much development time for us to work with.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2011, 02:37:19 pm »

Can I assume you're going for a control scheme a-la Captain Forever? (assuming you've played that, of course)

And speaking of which, what's your most optimistic plans for handling collisions? Will it be possible to accidentally embed your supercharged battlecruiser in the side of an asteroid?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zanmgt.Aaron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ZanMgt
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »

Can I assume you're going for a control scheme a-la Captain Forever? (assuming you've played that, of course)

And speaking of which, what's your most optimistic plans for handling collisions? Will it be possible to accidentally embed your supercharged battlecruiser in the side of an asteroid?

Asteroids, probably not.  Planets, we think you'll be able to smear your ship against, and if it all works out, that same code *could* be applied to the smaller entities.  Like your asteroids. =)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24