Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games in which you grow up?  (Read 29892 times)

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
Games in which you grow up?
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:21:00 pm »

I'm looking for games like Alter Ego or The Sims, where you start as a baby or child and make decisions as you age. Anyone know of any?

Free hug if it's free.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:44:18 pm by rawr359 »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Games in which you grow up?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:22:18 pm »

Harvest Moon is kinda like that for some games I believe.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:31:10 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »

This?
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Hopefully I don't really need to clarify, but I meant games where you age.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 06:39:14 pm »

Real Lives.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:40:22 pm »

Not quite 100% what you asked for but...

Little Computer People (kind of a primitive 8-bit sims with 1 character, no aging though :( but has "graphics" unlike Alter Ego).

Princess Maker II (the English beta version which is abadonware, never released in US, more raising the child, choosing jobs, training, adventures/combat, huge number of endings and high repeatability.) You can identify with the character quite a bit if you wish (you never see the "father" character on screen)

Kudos, though I don't have a copy. It's more a life-sim like Alter Ego, but you're an adult. Supposed to be good.

I really enjoyed Alter Ego btw.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:43:53 pm by Reelyanoob »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »

Fallout 3?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »

Nope. It's like Fable. You get 10 minutes and like 5 decisions to make as an adolescent, and then you enter that magical, heroic stage of adulthood.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:42:52 pm »

Real Lives 2010 - an edutainment game that basically demonstrates how you're most likely to end up being born in some poor family in an overpopulated country and how you'll have limited possibilities or die of some disease. Not really that many decisions, but it's sort of interesting to play a few times. From what I recall, the shareware version of the earlier edition (2007 I think it was) is less limited and sort of better looking.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 06:43:09 pm »

Fallout 3?
Yeah that's really not what I'm looking for. I mean a whole game about it, Fallout 3 had it as a gimmick.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 06:46:27 pm »

I always wanted a copy of Sims Castaways, that would have been fun, and a bit of a change.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:48:40 pm »

My friend has it, I've played it. Not all that great.

also off topic :(

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 06:55:05 pm »

Well it's a game in which you can age, and not the main series "Sims", though probably very close, but TOO close since you've obviously got all the sims stuff you want, just mentioned it because there's not a whole lot around, other than the Japanese child-raising simulations. There's a million of those.

Laugh if you like, but Princess Maker 2 is actually a pretty good game and worth a look. The US distributor freaked out coz of anime "loli" content, not quality issues. And, they didn't understand how to market it to 14 y/o boys, their main target demographic for everything ever made it appears.

You can play up to PM version 6 or 7, if you know Japanese or Cantonese. English speakers are stuck with pt II though. There's some seriously dark and screwed-up endings possible here (back street prosutute married to a demon etc) but it is very responsive to how you treat the child, so you won't get that sort of ending if you don't want it without screwing up badly.

Endings range from "Bad" - bandit, evil sorceress, prostitutes and/or concubine, through normal (e.g anything from housewife, artists, writers, poets etc) to "good" (Queen in her own right, princess, General, soldier, court magician, or street magician). This only skims the surface of possible endings, there's hundreds of combinations and stuff I don't even remember.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:13:35 pm by Reelyanoob »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:38 pm »

Sid Meier's pirates?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:13:17 pm »

Barely qualifies. It's more of a "Why are you doing what you're doing?" question, and then you're a pirate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2