Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: A utility to remove useless laggy objects?  (Read 6239 times)

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A utility to remove useless laggy objects?
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:16:34 pm »

I am a bit of a newb, and have been looking around for a tool that is able to mod a map to destroy all items flagged for dumping or forbidden, similar to the cleanmap utility in the lazy newb pack. It has become a necessity as my fortress has grown and invaders have come (and gone into cave traps, and subsequently been pitted into my lava reservoir). But some of their equipment (which I don't really care about anyway) is iron and so sticks around eating up calculation time. In addition, there's no way that I can find to destroy clothing owned by my dwarves without destroying the dwarves who own it, which further causes lag from wear calculations.

Does any such tools like this exist, or am I going to have to make it myself?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A utility to remove useless laggy objects?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:37:38 pm »

I am a bit of a newb, and have been looking around for a tool that is able to mod a map to destroy all items flagged for dumping or forbidden, similar to the cleanmap utility in the lazy newb pack. It has become a necessity as my fortress has grown and invaders have come (and gone into cave traps, and subsequently been pitted into my lava reservoir). But some of their equipment (which I don't really care about anyway) is iron and so sticks around eating up calculation time. In addition, there's no way that I can find to destroy clothing owned by my dwarves without destroying the dwarves who own it, which further causes lag from wear calculations.

Does any such tools like this exist, or am I going to have to make it myself?
I think it would be wiser to use the 'Hide' tag for such a task, otherwise you'll end up nuking way too much useful stuff by error.
Not that I know of any utility that allows you to do that.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:23 pm »

if it's marked forbidden or dump, it's generally because I WANT to destroy it. last time around I just atom-smashed it all, and would have this time too, except I was an idiot and forgot to build bridges to do the smashing before actually filling my lava reservoir; it'll take some obsidian casting to get atom smashers built at this point. But atom smashers still won't address the clothing problem. As it is I'm dumping all my junk non-magma-safe rock into the magma pit.

If it's hidden, I was under the impression that the game still did calculation on it.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:06:12 pm »

Without removing the clothing in the entity_default file and regening the world you cannot remove them.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:05:15 pm »

There's a utility that destroys all blood smears and magma objects created from melting rocks and all molten metal objects from melting metal, broken arrows, etc. I know it's more than possible, it's already been done, it just hasn't been expanded to nuke based on the dump/forbid flags. I guess I'll just have to make the tool myself.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33:44 pm »

Let me explain this to you, human. Since your beard hairs obviously aren't even tingling, let alone tremorring, I'll just tell you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:48:20 pm »

Let me explain this to you, human. Since your beard hairs obviously aren't even tingling, let alone tremorring, I'll just tell you.

You're doing it right when you decide to flood the entire surface with magma "in order to reduce lag."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »

You're doing it right when you decide to flood the entire surface with magma "in order to reduce lag."
CIRCUS YEAH!

Why do you think us dwarves invented magma? HMMM? To fight goblins? HA! It was obviously to clean our beards of excess elf leather pig tail socks!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 11:31:50 pm »

CIRCUS YEAH!

Why do you think us dwarves invented magma? HMMM? To fight goblins? HA! It was obviously to clean our beards of excess elf leather pig tail socks!

I had an idea a while back to build two enormous towers on either side of the approach to my fortress.  One tower would pump water into a pressurized chamber near the top, the other would do the same with magma.  When invading forces passed between the towers, both would fire streams of water and magma at each other, high above the heads of the attackers, which would combine, coalesce, and rain down meteors on the doomed would-be conquerors.  Unfortunately, such a project turns out to have been a bit too ambitious for my PC.  I began to struggle with fps just after the completion of the first tower.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »

CIRCUS YEAH!

I had an idea a while back to build two enormous towers on either side of the approach to my fortress.  One tower would pump water into a pressurized chamber near the top, the other would do the same with magma.  When invading forces passed between the towers, both would fire streams of water and magma at each other, high above the heads of the attackers, which would combine, coalesce, and rain down meteors on the doomed would-be conquerors.  Unfortunately, such a project turns out to have been a bit too ambitious for my PC.  I began to struggle with fps just after the completion of the first tower.
Some guy made an automatic, repeatable cave-in maker involving bridges and obsidian. Dunno where the thread went  :-\

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:23:19 am »

^ Wouldn't one of those create its own source of lag?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:54:26 am »

^ Wouldn't one of those create its own source of lag?

MY BEARD IS AWESOME

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

Aalto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:13:14 am »

Not quite everything you're looking for, but dfhack does have an unsupported (but working) tool for dumping owned items. You'd have to compile it yourself tho.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 11:30:11 am »

This is all good and fine. I use magma for all sorts of fun applications, and dwarven atom smashers now to remove the rest, but that still doesn't deal with the problem of clothing that's safe and owned from magma in my furniture items which I made out of this funny blue metal I found that doesn't melt. My next consideration is to remove all the furniture, and hopefully the contents will fall out.

I understand the fun of megaprojects, I REALLY DO, but sometimes results are more important than awesomeness. I'm thinking I'll just make an epic furniture stockpile, clear my living area of furniture (except the beds), and then flood it with magma, or build an array of dwarven atom smashers that will destroy the contents of all the bedrooms, and then deconstruct it once all that icky clothing is gone.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »

I understand the fun of megaprojects, I REALLY DO, but sometimes results are more important than awesomeness.
I smell an elf.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4