Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A utility to remove useless laggy objects?  (Read 6311 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: A utility to remove useless laggy objects?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »

You really gotta stop accusing people of elfhood without offering a solution to said elfhood Nec.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 12:54:39 pm »

You really gotta stop accusing people of elfhood without offering a solution to said elfhood Nec.
place the cursor/pointer on Jarhyn then run this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
though in Forum mode you might end up changing some random member into a Dwarf so best try to repeat this until beard is grown.

joking aside you could take profit's stone removal workshop and tweak it so it just removes all items assign a dwarf to the job of junk removal and watch as your FPS slowly goes from 120 to 121 or what ever frame rate you wanted it or use the bonfire mod to create a bonfire and mark the area a dump zone and watch as your FPS slowly rises and your dwarf count drops from the accidental fire hazards.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:31 pm »

I lol'd very hard, Rum.

Exactly what I was suggesting, too.  8)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 02:40:54 pm »

[/quote]
Let me explain this to you, human. Since your beard hairs obviously aren't even tingling, let alone tremorring, I'll just tell you.

You're doing it right when you decide to flood the entire surface with magma "in order to reduce lag."
CIRCUS YEAH!

Why do you think us dwarves invented magma? HMMM? To fight goblins? HA! It was obviously to clean our beards of excess elf leather pig tail socks!

I had an idea a while back to build two enormous towers on either side of the approach to my fortress.  One tower would pump water into a pressurized chamber near the top, the other would do the same with magma.  When invading forces passed between the towers, both would fire streams of water and magma at each other, high above the heads of the attackers, which would combine, coalesce, and rain down meteors on the doomed would-be conquerors.  Unfortunately, such a project turns out to have been a bit too ambitious for my PC.  I began to struggle with fps just after the completion of the first tower.
Some guy made an automatic, repeatable cave-in maker involving bridges and obsidian. Dunno where the thread went  :-\
Let me explain this to you, human. Since your beard hairs obviously aren't even tingling, let alone tremorring, I'll just tell you.

You're doing it right when you decide to flood the entire surface with magma "in order to reduce lag."
CIRCUS YEAH!

Why do you think us dwarves invented magma? HMMM? To fight goblins? HA! It was obviously to clean our beards of excess elf leather pig tail socks!
[/spoiler]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »

leave them out so that kobl...those monkeys will grab them and watch as your FPS drain away.
use DFmode to shove every single item into a small bag then toss the bag out of the fort mode play area thus removing traces of the item and freeing up the FPS.
or even better kill every one but one dwarf using Dfmode adventure mode (save into it don't do the Arena trick.) then swap back now you have to worry about 1 dwarf and many corpses which you could just burn, dump out of play area, use a workshop on and watch as your morality slip from you.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 03:43:20 pm »

leave them out so that kobl...those monkeys will grab them and watch as your FPS drain away.
use DFmode to shove every single item into a small bag then toss the bag out of the fort mode play area thus removing traces of the item and freeing up the FPS.
or even better kill every one but one dwarf using Dfmode adventure mode (save into it don't do the Arena trick.) then swap back now you have to worry about 1 dwarf and many corpses which you could just burn, dump out of play area, use a workshop on and watch as your morality slip from you.
The kobolds will start sending ambushes instead of thieves if they grab too much  :-\

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »

The kobolds will start sending ambushes instead of thieves if they grab too much  :-\
I meant the monkeys that plague fort owners with their nimble fingers.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »

Well, I figured it out. DFHack now includes an autodump utility, which can be modded in the source to destroy any object designated dump. Got me 18 FPS improvement, just enough to be able to afford flooding the surface of the world with magma!

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »

Well, I figured it out. DFHack now includes an autodump utility, which can be modded in the source to destroy any object designated dump. Got me 18 FPS improvement, just enough to be able to afford flooding the surface of the world with magma!

Can you provide steps to do this!?

I mean, if I could nuke stuf that is marked as dump... I think... I'd be the happiest dorf in the world. I had an acceptable 30 fps, and about 8 consecutive invasions later... not so much.

EDIT:

Yeah, I found the source code for the "send dump items to cursor" tool. But I guess my zero knowledge in coding/compiling is killing me. As even after reading the "how to" for compiling, I don't get it. :( lol

If there is a kind soul out there that could compile it and post it, it would be amazing! My dwarfs actually started ignoring cetain items set to dump!? Even if there is a garbage dump 2 squares away. I don't get that either.

Thanks?... :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:55:45 pm by Vhorthex »
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 03:02:39 am »

you'll want to change the autodump source so that...

bool destroy = true; //instead of false at the beginning... or just execute it with the proper arguments. Easier though to just set it TRUE

if (!temp.base.flags.dump || !temp.base.flags.on_ground) should instead read
if (!temp.base.flags.dump || (!temp.base.flags.on_ground && !destroy))

then right click on the solution (at the very top of the source tree for the project), and select BUILD, using MSVC2010 express (free from microsoft). Follow the instructions for microsoft visual studio 2010.

Be careful what you designate with this tool though, it can lead to funny results with traps and buildings. I wasn't careful in doing a zone designation and nuked half of my cage traps an adamantine bridge, and because I had designated a couple stone types I lost a few workshops too.

And if they are ignoring dump items, make sure your dwarves will retrieve items set to outside (using the (o)rders screen), and undesignate it, claim it, and then redesignate for dump
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:04:53 am by Jarhyn »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 03:28:38 pm »

Took a stab at providing the dfautodump.exe that was asked for. Granted the last time I was playing with any DEBUGGING (no not coding - debugging) was making things work on Windows for my silly CircleMUD projects.

I never thought I'd see that frustration back at such magnificent levels.

downloaded source from git repo at around 10:16am.

Since then I've scrapped everything twice back to the original zip I got off the repo. I've tried building in Express; outside of express; using every batch file in the build folder; with the cmake gui, without it.

I think I'll wait till peterix puts out .14. I don't feel confident to fix any of the warnings (all over the place) let alone the errors (new prospector rewrite) for the package. Of course there's the fact none of the exe's I get work anyway. Pure explodium. At least my system doesn't go boom.

(link removed -ancient) Put on my wiki to avoid anymore potentially unnecessary spoiler tags creeping out of my keyboard. I think I'll try a fresh zip and if that doesn't work I'll give up.

Edit: No change. Supported only throws out 70 warnings and 6 errors instead of like 111 and 8. (link removed -ancient) Image at the bottom of the page is named appropriately.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:46:08 am by Eldrick Tobin »
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Aalto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:25 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/?0erck8tri0k4ei4

Compiled autodump. Also included a simpler tool (plus source) I hacked together for myself to delete hidden items, which has the potential advantage of ignoring items in buildings by default (which you can override with -b).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:36:39 am by Aalto »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »

Put it somewhere other than Mediafire. That place is an ad-supported virus waiting to happen!

You realize that DFFD is a free hosting site for DF files, right?

Aalto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:48 pm »

Yeesh, you're free to host it elsewhere, I just uploaded to mediafire 'cos it was the first thing that came to mind and doesn't require registration :P

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:22 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/?bh3aua32emn9utw

Compiled autodump. Also included a a simpler tool (plus source) I hacked together for myself to delete hidden items, which has the potential advantage of ignoring items in buildings by default (which you can override with -b).

OMG you are a god amongts... dwarf children or something.

Although, before we throw the first fistfull of confetti.

When I try to run either of the apps, I get the following error;

This application has failed to start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I foudn that DFTherapist had that file, so I got it from there. (Most likely that is something stupid not correct to do, but hey i'm trying lol)

But now;

This application has failed to start because libstdc++-6.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

And that one, although I found some on the Internet, there are so many difference file sizes and all, that I'm really thinking that i'm back to stupid again. I felt so happy lol

I'm sorry!
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4