Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I hate mandelboxes  (Read 1033 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
I hate mandelboxes
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:46:39 pm »

So, my story is this:

once upon a time I (stupidly) made a request thread where I asked for many ideas to incorporate into one image. One of the ideas included a mandelbox.

Half-a-year later.

It still haunts me! I tried to do it then, but I couldn't, and I blamed my lack of perspective skills. I pretty much stopped drawing. Recently I decided that my failure was because of a bad choice of composition, and general difficulty of organizing all those requests into a good composition. It hurt, and I once doodled a sketch for the WIP above (GIMPed because I'm using too large a sheet for my scanner, and so had to photograph it). So, yesterday I set to work on it. Today I'm in pain again. I haven't been able to find any digital aid, and I'm not enough of M.C. Escher to fill all the empty discomposed space with apparently non-random, but quite so from where I stand - doodles. I don't know what to do anymore! You hear me there - I'm being devoured alive by a mathematical abomination! Any ideas how I could go about saving myself?

And that option doesn't work - I think I'm too autistic to just drop it. I mean I could stop drawing it, but I would keep thinking about it. I guess I've got a problem with obsessions.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I hate mandelboxes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:38:58 pm »

A mandelbox is basically a cube with trenches in it, right? I'm not sure why there has to be anything in there; just shade it to shadow or something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:58:32 pm »

Oh ****, I think I were the one to suggest that. Sorry. :(

I'd suggest just puling out a picture you like from google and then copy it line by line.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »

One book I guess that could help are those "find it" books for kids that hide ordinary objects in unusual places often replacing the real objects with them.

That is how Mandel Boxes work in concept. An ordinary object that can be used for another object combining in two objects that alter the perception of those looking. The laziest tool for the Mandel are stairs

ASSUMING I am correct. I am actually assuming I know what a Mandel box is just by the intent of the speach people are making.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 05:58:10 pm »

Hmm I don't get it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:41 am »

Oh ****, I think I were the one to suggest that. Sorry. :(

I'd suggest just puling out a picture you like from google and then copy it line by line.

Er. I haven't thought about that. That is, I have thought that I've got too specific a case to find a non-specific picture to copy from. I'll see if it works.

And it's alright. Kind of. :P There was a lot of other stuff this winter that affected my artistic ability, and in the end I've come to see that there are other things to good drawing besides perspective and good body proportions. Well, I guess I knew it before, but I didn't give that much thought to composition.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:59:30 am »

My computer did something and I liked it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:28:05 pm »

Nice composition! Good sketch in general.

Now enlarge it, add detail, colour, and shade. >:)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:27:27 am »

Er... No. Resizing this thing. It's already on the largest format I have, and redrawing it on several sheets taped together... It's not impossible, but I'd need to be much more into drawing to be inspired to do it.

But thanks, even if to you it's just a sketch. I mean, do you do several sketches for a sketch?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 06:10:21 am »

Hmm.
*Checks other sketches*
Ozzy Osborn, and is that... Lewis Carroll?

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 06:54:28 am »

That was a nameless North-American Indian in a tuxedo, as per some request.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 06:55:51 am »

Ah, still very good! I like it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:55 am »

Thanks, I should have said. Even though I've been grumpy as all hell past few days. And even though I didn't like the drawings myself, because I drew them from Google photos, just combining two photos for the Indian.