Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: White Mythos: Max's war on cliché.  (Read 5423 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
White Mythos: Max's war on cliché.
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:43 am »

So we all know about the great big problem with fantasy games these days, that being that many of them are built on user used clichés, and the same elements that haven’t changed since Tolkien wrote a some what good book series. Recently, I got dragged into a debate with a friend of mine as to the cause of this, as he insisted it was because 'Elves that live in the woods and use bows and dwarves that live in the dirt and use axes is just the best, more refined product we have derived from years of messing about with this, and anything else is just a rip off of these standard races!'.

Well I had to protest! And now, against my better judgement, I am out with something to prove. Over the next ten days, I am faced with writing a short description for an original race each day, that will go together to make a mythos. I am allowed to use races from folk law and mythology, as long as I'm not ripping them off too much, and I am not allowed to just take an already done race and make up a new name. I am allowed to take already accepted races, and give them an interesting new spin (Although taking dwarfs and making them live in forests and use bows is just ripping of elves, and not allowed).

Just to make things fun, I might also be producing small pixel art pictures to match the bios.

So, will I be able to produce one new and interesting race each day? Well it might be hard, but fun to see. Let's settle a bet! Race one starts now.

Panotti.
The Panotti are a race of humanoids most noted for their large ears. Standing at about a meter and a half tall, they resemble a cross between a human and a rabbit, with long ears and a coat of fur. They are noticeable agile, and although there are some who can out run them, their ability to turn on a dime at full speed makes them hard to catch. Some people (Mostly Dwarves) tell stories about Panotti being able to jump clear over a house, however, these are almost certainly made up, and although Panotti are able to jump further then most other humanoid creatures when they are at full pelt, they lack the ability to jump much higher then humans. Their fur coat comes in several colours, including black, white, shades of brown and taupe. Panotti naturally stand on their toes, with their knees bent, and slightly hunched, making them able to react to a situation quickly.

They are often found living in small colonies in grasslands, building grass huts with very low roofs and dug out floors. Here they enjoy peace and will avoid conflict when possible. They have over time become adapt at weaving, and sew shirts, robes and cloaks for themselves. Despite being capable of dying their attire, they will mostly dress in natural shades. Because the Panotti do not eat meat, they do not have hunters in their tribes, so many small populations lack weapons all together. When they do go to battle, they will try to avoid a fair fight, and use ambush tactics when ever possible, often choosing to flee before face open war. In their villages, there is no formal form of government, and decision making is done by those most respected, respect often being earned  by means of old age or having a large family. Skilled workers have little more say then the less confident, as the Panotti accept that being good at building a hut does not make you wise. They talk little, even among themselves, but even less to outsiders. For them, it is sometimes seen as safer to travel alone at night to get home, then to stay in the safety of a town owned by outsiders for the night.

Panotti mostly lack magical ability, and even the most skilled of their mages can rarely cast magics. Their mystic powers are attached to the phase of the moon, and without a clear moon in the sky, they can not cast magic. The few magic abilities they do posses are useful, however, as they are often concerned with the manipulation of time, being able to slow down or speed up it's flow. There are myths of Panotti mages so powerful they were able to reverse time, but with the Dwarfs travelling the land and sharing their tales to all who will still listen, who is to say if it ever happened.
Spoiler: Pretty pictures (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: White Mythos: Max's war on cliché.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:24:28 am »

How cute Bunnymen! oooh! Asianic Bunny Men!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:34:54 am »

This is beast.  :D

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:19 am »

If you really want new and original, you shall fail. Tolkien was not the first, he was merely another iteration of the same old stories, and all good fantasy is based upon old mythos, such as the Tuatha Dé Danann, the Dragons, Centaurs, Gnomes, Leprechauns, Ghosts, Banshees, Mermaids, Sirens, Elves, Spirits, Demons, Devils, Saints and Knights and Heroes and Monsters, and any kind of Chimaera betwixt animals and/or humans *breathe*.

Re-hashing lesser known mythical races doesn't count as original in my book :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:22 am »

If you really want new and original, you shall fail. Tolkien was not the first, he was merely another iteration of the same old stories, and all good fantasy is based upon old mythos, such as the Tuatha Dé Danann, the Dragons, Centaurs, Gnomes, Leprechauns, Ghosts, Banshees, Mermaids, Sirens, Elves, Spirits, Demons, Devils, Saints and Knights and Heroes and Monsters, and any kind of Chimaera betwixt animals and/or humans *breathe*.

Re-hashing lesser known mythical races doesn't count as original in my book :)
Someone had to write the original mythology right?  There is room for creativity, just got to pull it out.

Do you want suggestions for races, or are you just documenting them here?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:03:06 pm »

You do realize you're copying Lugaro here, don't you?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »

There is room for creativity, just got to pull it out.
I invoke Rule #34. Also, Panotti already exist, had bigger ears, weren't furry and lived in the northern isles.  :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:41:41 pm »

I invoke Rule #34.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 03:11:04 pm »

I invoke Rule #34. Also, Panotti already exist, had bigger ears, weren't furry and lived in the northern isles.  :)

I said I was allowed to use already existing mythology and folklaw. The original Panotti were an inspiration, but not exactly close to these guys.
You do realize you're copying Lugaro here, don't you?
*Googles*
Na, they looks clsoer to viera if anything, or even peter rabbit or bugs bunny, but the combination in new and with any luck interesting. Later today I will take a classic and see if I can give what is otherwise the same thing a new light to its behaviours.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:17 pm »

Later today I will take a classic and see if I can give what is otherwise the same thing a new light to its behaviours.
Hm. So, are you looking for unused mythological races? We can help :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »

No and yes. Any obscure race that mainstream books, movies and games missed would be fun, if only to bring them into light and try to encorage others to use some lesser known inspirations. Although I will be making some things that are a lot more unique, in name and appearance. But later today, when I get home, I am going to be tackling the Dwarf, and seeing if I can prove that our dwarves don't always have to be the same, while still using some accepted dwarf ways.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 04:23:39 pm »

Atypical dwarfs you say? How about modeling them after Redcaps?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 07:44:41 pm »

Atypical dwarfs you say? How about modeling them after Redcaps?
Type of fairy. Been done.

Try something with Ziz. The only Hebrew monster to not be used constantly. Although if the Leviathan series continues it's naming pattern, not for long.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »

Oh thank Christ.

I hate Tolkien style things. I like the guy but fantasy isn't about awesome elves, evil goblins and that bull. It's about making a really fantastic world.

Continue with this, please.

I do like the Panotti, just don't cross humans with a random animal every other time.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

Fret not! That was most likely the only animal/man combo, I have plans for other affairs. Although, as promised, a dwarf, who does not act like a dwarf.

Dwarf
The dwarf has a reputation for being the dirtiest, scruffiest and least shaved of any sentient creature.  At about a meter tall, they are short, but broad creatures that come close to resembling humans. Their hair ranges from black to grey, and turns white at an age much younger than what would be thought to be old. Though not very fast on their feet, they can march for many days on end, and enjoy walking at a slow and steady pace. From many years of travel, most dwarf's skin has grown thick and wrinkled in the sun, and because of this they are one of the few races to survive, and even benefit from the krat.

Although there are several scattered towns with mostly dwarf occupants, dwarfs will very rarely for towns or settlements. Instead they prefer a life of travel, keeping only what they can carry on their backs, and sleeping under the tables in pubs, or where ever seems free at the time. When not walking the roads between towns, they like to invite who ever will pay them attention to come drink with them, where they tell stories of their travels and the people they have met. Although dwarves enjoy the excitement of an adventure, if they feel their current lives have not measured up to 'dwarvenly standards' then it is well within their morals to fabricate events they frame them as slayers of evil and heros of many. For a dwarf, an interesting or beautiful story is more valuable then all else, including life and limb, and because of this many people no longer trust the word of a dwarf, seeing them as drunken fools who will lie through their teeth for attention. Despite their reputation of being useless for anything but a good story, dwarves are some what experts on survival, and have learnt many tricks of the wilderness that others would never think of. The most unifying symbol of the dwarves is the hatchet, a tool few dwarves go without, as it provides them with the means to survive while carrying very little, a trait any dwarf would find admirable. Although they love their hatchets, in combat most dwarfs favour spears instead, as long pole arms give them an extended reach, making up for their lack in height. Although no dwarves have ever formed a civilisation large enough to go to war, dwarves themselves often join military units, as the allure of the stories they could tell of battle are too great for most to pass up. While they make for a useful ground force, very few sailors will accept them on board, as dwarves have been known to get so board out at sea that they begin to contemplate where they might end up were the ship to sink and they were washed away, and it is within their capabilities to accommodate such events.

Dwarves, like humans and the gigas, are accepted as being completely non-magical, although most dwarves will insist that the wind 'sings, calls and taunts' them, to follow it where ever it may go, and not answering this call would drive them insane, although most just account this as an excuse to disappear after getting into a love affair, or a debt.

Only one dwarf image, but I spent some time practicing my pixilations on a Panotti White Mage.
Spoiler: Dorf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: White Mage (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4