Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!Weapons!!  (Read 4554 times)

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
!!Weapons!!
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »

Dabbling Modder here
Is it possible to make weapons out of pure, unadulterated fire?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: !!Weapons!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

Dabbling Modder here
Is it possible to make weapons out of pure, unadulterated fire?

You could make a material and call it fire, but you can't actually create weapons out of real !!Fire!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:25:16 pm »

It should be possibly to create a custom reaction that makes a weapon out of graphite or a similar long-burning material.  You could then set it on fire and wield it until it burns away completely.  I don't know if it will do any extra damage to the target.  It will burn the wielder, unless they're fireproof to begin with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:36:44 pm »

Yes, but not exactly.

There is a material called "Fire" in the raws, but it's basically plasma. So you'd have an energy sword :))

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:45:21 pm »

The Civilization Forge mod tried something similar once - it has weapon materials based on the four classic elements, "incendium" being the fiery one with a naturally high temperature, it used to melt enemies or make them burst into flames or somesuch. The problem with that is dwarf fortress treats weapons as if they're all a single material; the handle is the same material as the blade, so if a weapon can melt your enemies, it'll melt your hand off first.

By the way, although incendium has since been changed to simply be a high quality weapon material, the old fiery/melty/Fun-inducing material is still in the mod renamed as "Blazing Incendium," supposedly it's good for traps but not much else (it's rare as hell, never tried it myself).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:04:24 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »

The only thing that would have made Incendium usable would be some kind of Asbestos Gauntlets.

But anyone coming in from off-map, or in adventure mode, would not have been smart enough to use them.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:09 pm »

A caravan tried to bring either dangerous flarestone or Blazing Incendium once in one of my forts, I think, because a forest fire started when they entered the map.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:26:01 pm »

The only thing that would have made Incendium usable would be some kind of Asbestos Gauntlets.

But anyone coming in from off-map, or in adventure mode, would not have been smart enough to use them.

Or perhaps nether-cap gauntlets?
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:33:56 pm »

Or perhaps nether-cap gauntlets?
Nether-caps use coldtanium  8)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:40:35 pm »

There used to be damage tags in the raws that told which type of damage a weapon did, one of the options was heat. It would sometimes light things on fire. Of course, that's all long gone with the new combat system.

I experimented with making bolts out a metal with a very high temperature. They didn't seem to do any extra damage, however stuck-ins would usually ignite the creature pretty quickly and the results were fairly satisfying (they would run around in a cloud of smoke till they (quickly) died, then burn down till only bones and metal armor were left)

Unfortunately, they would also ignite the creature firing the bolts and I never found a good way around it. This was quite some time ago, with the new custom reactions you might be able to make a reaction that generated a special quiver (with a low set temperature) containing the bolts... I'm not sure if you can specify quivers as a container or not and I'm not sure if that would protect the dwarf anyway.

As for swords and such, yeah I don't think that's really possible since it would just burn up the dwarf and not do any extra damage anyway (unless maybe the weapon got stuck-in, I don't know if the dwarf would pull it out before it had time to ignite the enemy or not).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:04:24 pm »

There used to be damage tags in the raws that told which type of damage a weapon did, one of the options was heat. It would sometimes light things on fire. Of course, that's all long gone with the new combat system.

I experimented with making bolts out a metal with a very high temperature. They didn't seem to do any extra damage, however stuck-ins would usually ignite the creature pretty quickly and the results were fairly satisfying (they would run around in a cloud of smoke till they (quickly) died, then burn down till only bones and metal armor were left)

Unfortunately, they would also ignite the creature firing the bolts and I never found a good way around it. This was quite some time ago, with the new custom reactions you might be able to make a reaction that generated a special quiver (with a low set temperature) containing the bolts... I'm not sure if you can specify quivers as a container or not and I'm not sure if that would protect the dwarf anyway.

As for swords and such, yeah I don't think that's really possible since it would just burn up the dwarf and not do any extra damage anyway (unless maybe the weapon got stuck-in, I don't know if the dwarf would pull it out before it had time to ignite the enemy or not).
Maybe a heat/fire-immune creature that can use the fire bolts? :))

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 04:49:12 pm »

Mod Dwarves' hands to be heat resistant?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:04:12 am »

I call bullshit :). The old HEAT damage was only a matter of wording of the attack (as well as BURN), it didn't actually set anything on fire at all.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository