Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: LCS 4.04 Download (April 2011 Graduation Gift)  (Read 87534 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.04 Download (April 2011 Graduation Gift)
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 04:23:57 am »

Awesome car chases. Or rather, "vehicle" chases, because I think helicopters would be cool.

In short for those who didn't see the thread when I first posted it last year, the idea is about reworking the car chase system to feature more than just run/gun. Plenty of new stuff for artfully evading the conservatives on the way (unless I slip into procrastination)...

* Ramming conservatives - damages both cars and may cause one or both to lose control. Success depends on vehicle's mass and driver's skill. Higher speed and lower handling increase crashing, of course.
* Traffic - varying traffic levels could present new opportunities - low-profile vehicles like taxis and station vagons could blend in denser traffic, more traffic equals higher risk for everyone in high speed chases.
* Environments - chases that begin in the outskirts reward high speed because there's nowhere to hide, while dense slums make speed less important as it's hard to accelerate safely anyway. Some vehicles could go offroad when out of town, making it harder for street vehicles to follow.
* Varying speed - Drive slow for optimal gun accuracy, blending in traffic and safer ramming, and drive very fast to evade pursuits on highways and outskirts.
* Gunfire may pop tires or even disable (or explode) the entire vehicle.
* New stats for vehicles - Speed helps when going fast (yes), handling helps when ramming and in harder conditions like heavy traffic and dense slums, mass helps when ramming, armor measures how well protected the liberals are (= how likely a shot is to hit the car instead of the liberal), stealth for blending, capacity for the number of people the car is designed for (6 could still ride, but they won't receive the armor protection and may fall of when the vehicle is rammed).
* New obstacles - spike strips, road blocks would occur after a prolonged chase.
* Airborne flag - for helicopters to avoid the aforementioned obstacles. Helicopters are sometimes used by the conservatives but liberals may acquire one as well.

Example case: Vonnegut and his five merry Liberals have been wrecking the nuclear power plant. Three police cars chase them while they escape in a van. Because Vonnegut is a kickass driver and there's almost nothing to crash into in the middle of nowhere, he puts the pedal to the metal and rams one of the police cars off the road. The police attempt to PIT the van but only manage to keep Vonnegut's speed reasonable. As the van nears the Downtown Vonnegut makes a quick U-turn and disappears in the traffic. Bored with their failure, the cops return to fetch the guys in the car that was left behind and they all go play soccer together.

Additions, suggestions etc are welcome, but I'll create a thread of my own for this when I have actually started writing the code (all I have is these plans and a few notebooks on plans for various LCS stuff).
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 10:23:24 am »

*snip*
* New stats for vehicles - Speed helps when going fast (yes), handling helps when ramming and in harder conditions like heavy traffic and dense slums, mass helps when ramming, armor measures how well protected the liberals are (= how likely a shot is to hit the car instead of the liberal), stealth for blending, capacity for the number of people the car is designed for (6 could still ride, but they won't receive the armor protection and may fall of when the vehicle is rammed).
*snip*

Will you account for a priority order of who gets protected and who doesn't? Considering you can be carrying hostages and/or rescued liberals.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 07:28:56 pm »

Hello!

Simple suggestion: Could someone add a way for Liberal Hackers to vandalise conservapedia?

And a bug report: I burnt a flag by mistake, and was wanted by the police for flag burning. Problem is, laws on flag burning were Liberal, as in, flag burning was legal at the time.
And shouldn't charges go away when laws make them unapplicable (As in, a Liberal burns 200 flags, and when flag burning gets legal, he is cleared of his flag burning counts, since it's no longer illegal)?
Thank you!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 12:58:48 am »

*snip*
*snip*

Will you account for a priority order of who gets protected and who doesn't? Considering you can be carrying hostages and/or rescued liberals.

Well, for the sake of simplicity I wouldn't make hostages consume space and would always have the first liberals be inside the car. However, I'm not quite sure whether or not the space limitation is a good thing as falling off sounds a lot like instakill - something I don't like at all. It can be dropped off unless someone has good ideas about implementing it.

Oh yes, and now that I mentioned the ordering of liberals having some effect - the last time I played (long ago) combat worked so that the first liberals always got to shoot first, resulting in a distorted proportion of juice/skill gain for the squad. I'm going to write a bit that makes LCS remember who shot last (unless already implemented of course), so if you face one silly conseravative that gets killed after the first two liberals fire at him, the next combat will have Liberal #3 firing first, then 4, 5, 6, 1 and 2.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2011, 01:18:25 am »

Simple suggestion: Could someone add a way for Liberal Hackers to vandalise conservapedia?
You don't even have to be a hacker to do that. Maybe it could be in liberal disobedience?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2011, 01:27:14 am »

Yeah, I think Jon has some address where they can be sent via email, or then you may just use some file-sharing service.
Okay, well I think I did this right...
http://www.4shared.com/file/mFa7ZPfu/save.html
Haven't used a file share site before, hope that works. Any idea what the problem could be? It just seems to crash, whatever I have my team doing. It's annoying, as this is my best game so far, and I've become quite attatched to my virtual freedom fighters. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2011, 02:10:36 am »

You don't even have to be a hacker to do that. Maybe it could be in liberal disobedience?

Well, as far as I've understood, posting nasty messages, trolling and defacing Wikis is exactly what the "lesser hacking" (harass websites) means.

EDIT: Of course, almost forgot: Conservapedia has an evil good twin... http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:12:15 am by Kay12 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2011, 03:25:42 am »

Ohjeez, Conservapedia is a -real- website?! :o
Ohmygosh. I just looked is up. America is SCAAAARY. D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2011, 03:30:37 am »

And a bug report: I burnt a flag by mistake, and was wanted by the police for flag burning. Problem is, laws on flag burning were Liberal, as in, flag burning was legal at the time.
And shouldn't charges go away when laws make them unapplicable (As in, a Liberal burns 200 flags, and when flag burning gets legal, he is cleared of his flag burning counts, since it's no longer illegal)?

That should already be the case (amnesty once the law changes), but it might incorrectly happen only when the law is L+ instead of L.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:20 am »

However, I'm not quite sure whether or not the space limitation is a good thing as falling off sounds a lot like instakill - something I don't like at all. It can be dropped off unless someone has good ideas about implementing it.

How about making the liberals over the space limit unable to fire weapons, with the implication that they're lying on the floor, or under other liberals, or something like that? I'm pretty sure you can squeeze six people into a beetle without much issue, but they probably won't have enough maneuvering space to shoot at other cars. Having the car filled over capacity could also make car crashes more difficult to survive, which I think would be okay since those already have a pretty good chance of being instant death.

Speaking of space limits, can you have more than one car of liberals take part in a chase? I'm not sure what happens right now if you have squad liberals assigned to several cars. If multi-car chases aren't some kind of huge issue, you totally need to add bikes.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2011, 05:16:04 am »

^ I've thought of multiple vehicle chases, yes. It would open interesting possibilities like motorbikes (which would be even more interesting with six people on them, though). Perhaps it's the best to make single vehicle chases interesting first and then start working on multiple vehicle chases.

I was thinking about that helicopter - maybe it could be special stealable treat at the Military Camp?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2011, 06:57:36 am »

Okay, well I think I did this right...
http://www.4shared.com/file/mFa7ZPfu/save.html

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with my save file? I suppose I might have to just start a new one, but I'd rather not. *sob*
Booze is Life for Yoink

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2011, 12:20:14 pm »

Conservapedia, it can smell liberals and hides from me.
(well 403 Forbidden You don't have permission to access /Main_Page on this server.)
maybe or it is fear of English spellings,

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:31 pm »

^ I've thought of multiple vehicle chases, yes. It would open interesting possibilities like motorbikes (which would be even more interesting with six people on them, though). Perhaps it's the best to make single vehicle chases interesting first and then start working on multiple vehicle chases.

I was thinking about that helicopter - maybe it could be special stealable treat at the Military Camp?

Honestly I have no idea how the helicopter would even work. Where do my liberals keep it? How come everyone can't see where I'm landing the thing? Well, GTA San Andreas had a VTOL jet, so I guess a helicopter isn't the most unreasonable vehicle the game could give me. :P Stealing from the military base sounds like an okay way of getting one.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »

We need a pilot skill.
                                                                                                /\
Without it, I imagine flying the helicopter would go something like this: /  \
                                                                                                   \
                                                                                                    |
                                                                                                    |
                                                                                                *BOOM*
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27