Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Open floodgates drop FPS signifigantly  (Read 569 times)

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Open floodgates drop FPS signifigantly
« on: December 27, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »

I'm reporting this only because I've seen people complain about really low FPS lately. In all my games with the FPS meter on, I've noticed that when all my floodgates are closed, I'll be getting ~35-40 FPS even with 200 dwarves. However, as soon as I open even a single floodgate with a short channel leading from it, my FPS drops to ~6-12.

It doesn't bother me too much, but I figured maybe it'd help you optimize a bit more.

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Open floodgates drop FPS signifigantly
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:04:00 pm »

Great observation!

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »

For this flooding issue, the FPS drop happens until it reaches capacity; water covers all available ground that it can reach. Then it returns to normal.

The same is true when you close floodgates on a flooded room.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:57:00 pm »

Not for me, it doesn't stop. I have a moat setup, and as long as the moat is flooded, my FPS drops as described. As soon as the moat finishes draining, the FPS returns to normal. It doesn't matter how long the floodgate is open, the slowdown is constant.

Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:41:00 pm »

This was explained in another post on the boards by Toady.  I can't spot it off hand, but if I see it I'll come back and edit it in.

The FPS drop has to do with pathfinding recalculation.

A bit late but here is the link

[ December 28, 2006: Message edited by: Walker ]

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 04:34:00 am »

The pathfinding recalculation should only happen while a flood is in progress, not after it has filled all the areas it can fill. I think. Well at least it should...

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

Having not built any *EXCLUSIVE* moats yet, I can speculate that possibly water in the channel (While the gate is open) is still trying to find someplace to go, so perhaps it is still recalculating. Perhaps building a small room to have the moat end in (thus flooding the room, and ending the flow) may cause the "flowing" to stop and return speed to normal.

perhaps, perhaps not.

gluck -b

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »

Yeah, the pathfinding recalc should stop when the water has no place to go -- perhaps there's a bug with the flag though, or something else odd is going on.  It might have to do with the specific configuration, or perhaps when I tested it I didn't have enough dwarves to notice the slow-down was persistent.

If you've got a save where I can play with it, I can see if I can sort it out when I look at the rest of my vacation saves that are piling up.

toadyone@bay12games.com or somewhere downloadable
region#.sav + region# folder in some kind of zip/rar

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 09:07:00 am »

Sending out a save now.

Thing is, this doesn't just affect moats. I actually confirmed the bug on my farm room, which is just a 20x20 room with channels to stop the water from drowning the rest of my fortress in case a door gets opened or smashed by a cave crocodile.