Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Names for Sentients, especially Dwarves  (Read 1105 times)

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Names for Sentients, especially Dwarves
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:13:15 pm »

How do you go about modding the name pool for sentients, most especially dwarves? Is it stored in an array somewhere, or is it in a raw I can't find?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Names for Sentients, especially Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:12:01 pm »

in creature_standard in the raws and entity_defualt which is also in the raws
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »

I've looked in both of those, but they don't seem to contain anything useful about naming your sentients - just params and occupation names and such. To be clear, I'm looking to add to the pool of personal names for dwarves due to the fact that at any given time I have at least 6-10 dwarves with one of their names the same.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:01 pm »

Oh their actual names sorry I was thinking you meant changing elves to elfs or something, for the individuals I have no idea, sorry. Maybe the language raws?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure that this is possible, since I recently saw a post where someone said they'd done it. Can't remember where, though.

Looking at entity_default.txt, I think the lines of [SELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:NAME_WAR] have something do to do with name selection.  Names are drawn from the creature's language (i.e., from the language file - see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Name ) and I think these lines in entity_default control which words are used. Not sure, though.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure that this is possible, since I recently saw a post where someone said they'd done it. Can't remember where, though.

Looking at entity_default.txt, I think the lines of [SELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:NAME_WAR] have something do to do with name selection.  Names are drawn from the creature's language (i.e., from the language file - see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Name ) and I think these lines in entity_default control which words are used. Not sure, though.

I'm guessing that it's the[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:] that you'd want to add to, but I'm not 100%.  I've never really messed with those, so all I can say is add flowery to your dwarves and see if you get ones named Blossom.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

Names are from the language files. Hence:
Urist=Dagger
Tholtig=Barricade
etc.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:33:59 pm »

Thanks folks, I'll start lurching in that directions for my modding!

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:42:16 pm »

Names are from the language files. Hence:
Urist=Dagger
Tholtig=Barricade
etc.

Well yeah, but I was looking at an entity file I had open based on dwarves, and it had artifice and natural as two things in remaining, and I'm betting Dagger and Barricade are in Artifice.  Obviously the dwarf wouldn't be named blossom, but would be something like... hold on...
ātrid