Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Custom Languages: Project Status: Complete  (Read 11438 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom real world language files - place your order
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:46:00 pm »

Ooh!  And Draconic!
That would be awesome.

I'd use it for Kobolds, maybe too.
Me, too, but it would be even better for me. I use modded D&D kobolds. (I'd like to thank Tiler for that mod.)

Spanish would also be cool.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »

Thanks for the Draconic link, I have to go out now, but will look at that later, though there are many gaps in the vocabulary, you'd have to decide what you want to put in there.

What I'd do is use your script to translate what can be directly translated, and then use DFLang with handpicked symbol roots to generate the gaps.  Then I'd need a script to merge the files, with priority to yours...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:48:14 pm by Fieari »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:06:45 am »

Requesting Imperial Aramaic if possible...  I realize that this is an extremely difficult request. 

Hebrew would also be nice - and a lot easier to find.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 01:12:34 am »

Anglicised Japanese and Chinese if possible.

I would even revive the Romance of the three kingdoms and samurai mods.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 03:37:36 am »

I'd like
1. Greek
2. Latin
3. Welsh
4. Klingon
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 04:20:27 am »

OP, I gave you my email yet you didn't send me the danish file.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »

4. Klingon
Geek.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:52 pm »

This whole concept sprung from a fey mood I myself went into and Reely offered to make a German language file for me.

Even I haven't heard anything from him after that.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 08:11:52 pm »

Hey guys was a little busy over the last couple of days, but now I'm back on the job.

I had to improve the script to spit out a log of things it couldn't translate. That should make it easier for anyone receiving the files. I've listed every requested language in the OP, and the current status/likelihood, which should let you know the amount of work to do on each one.

So far Japanese has had the best conversion rate, but I'd need native speakers to fill the gaps and do a little checking on the translations, for each language file

Though it shouldn't matter if it's just for flavour, it would be cool have some accuracy here.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:16:33 pm by Reelyanoob »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Language Files Mini-Project
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 12:29:13 am »

The problem with Japanese is that many of the words are going to be loan words.

Like "remote control" becomming "rimōto kontorōru"

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 01:04:08 am »

Actually skimming a couple 100 of the transliterated words, it's not looking that bad. Probably because DF lacks many more modern terms which have a higher likelihood of being borrowings.

Anyway, soon it will be possible to apply some "scrambling" to these lists in such as way as to create new words, basically infinite possible languages. The technique uses "Markov Chains", though I won't go into the more esoteric details of how to code something like this (don't try and work it out from the wikipedia on Markov Chains, it's far too general and complete a definition), I will be uploading the code once it's been adapted for the purpose.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:16:59 am by Reelyanoob »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 01:13:22 am »

The more you talk, the more I think that either your forum nickname is extremely misleading, or that you are a magnificently good liar. ;)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 01:24:02 am »

Well, so u know I am actually talking some sense ;), I search for the relevant topic for pseudo-random words, and found working code, in python. Which I personally will not be using, because I have it in c++ already. This code should have a million uses for DF though (with some modification)

http://uswaretech.com/blog/2009/06/pseudo-random-text-markov-chains-python/

This script looks pretty good, but does word at a time randomization, rather than letter at a time, which is needed for new words or names. A good way to see it's effects would be to append two contrasting texts together, then run it through the script. e.g. lengthy passages (longer the better) from Wuthering Heights, and Mein Kampfe.

Actually, a lot of these python features look pretty handy for the purpose, I might reconsider the language for this, though maybe the c++ exe will be a lot faster.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:46:59 am by Reelyanoob »

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 01:42:59 am »

DFLang is able to generate fictional language raws using another language as its base.

It might be useful.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47332.0

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 02:35:41 am »

Thanks for the Draconic link, I have to go out now, but will look at that later, though there are many gaps in the vocabulary, you'd have to decide what you want to put in there.

What I'd do is use your script to translate what can be directly translated, and then use DFLang with handpicked symbol roots to generate the gaps.  Then I'd need a script to merge the files, with priority to yours...
Patchouli, and Fieari, thanks for the references to DFLang, I hadn't heard about that before. Reading the link, that seems like exactly what would be needed to make the files I'm working on usable for play.

I'm not 100% sure how DFlang handles the symbol roots - can you define a number of roots per symbol, and it picks randomly, or just one per symbol type?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5