Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Custom Languages: Project Status: Complete  (Read 11566 times)

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Language Files Mini-Project
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 05:15:25 am »

(deleted some trolling, please try to keep it together)

And of course you also deleted my request. good job.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

carriontrooper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 08:34:35 am »

Any chance that the finished language files would be put up for download? I'm in a kind of collecting mood. I'll even throw in an Indonesian language file that I used back in the megamix mod days (mostly complete, I think).
Looking back, it seems that there's also Czech, Dutch, German, Latin, Japanese, a half-assed try at 40k Ork English, and Spanish in between the Megamix files.
If anyone want, I can pack em up and post it here for you guys.
I am wretched, but I am STRONG!
I am the future... I AM ZERG!
LIVE FOR THE SWARRRRMMMMMMMM

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »

Frustratingly, even though I have a language file with all the D&D draconic words now, and I have a DFLang randomly generated file with draconic-esque works in it, I seem incapable of merging the two files given that this script fills in all the gaps with plain english. Hrm.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »

I looked through the databases- there's a lot of "bear_verb" entries. It may be worth going through the database and choosing some synonyms- Bear is almost always translated as the animal, but "carry" should be similar enough to the basic meaning to work for the verb.

Soar/bug instead of fly, perhaps. I might just look through this myself, actually.

Edit: In some cases, it's such a marginal difference that I'm not even sure if other real languages make the distinction- for instance fish_v/fish_n.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:48:56 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 04:10:41 pm »

Any chance that the finished language files would be put up for download? I'm in a kind of collecting mood. I'll even throw in an Indonesian language file that I used back in the megamix mod days (mostly complete, I think).
Looking back, it seems that there's also Czech, Dutch, German, Latin, Japanese, a half-assed try at 40k Ork English, and Spanish in between the Megamix files.
If anyone want, I can pack em up and post it here for you guys.
Upload coming soon, I'd be happy to add other peoples created languages into the download, if you email them to me (or just nod if they're already downloadable), just be sure to provided authorship info for me to put in the docs. Although, this is low priority, as I really want to clean up the existing languages I made, before adding a lot more to the download.

I seem incapable of merging the two files given that this script fills in all the gaps with plain english
Fixed last night (6am here, just woke up). Upload soon. I'll add specific instructions in the readme on how to use the scripts to perform the op you described.

I looked through the databases- there's a lot of "bear_verb" entries.
I spent pretty much half a day looking at just this issue, and am now feeding a customized synonym list into the translator, with much better hit rates, going to re-do all the base language files i've created. The new language files (3 so far) no longer have these gaps or issues.

I used "endure" for "bear_verb", but considered "carry" as well. Though I'm having trouble coming up with a good one-word synonym for "RIDDLE HOLES" which means e.g. to riddle with arrows i guess. Anyone got any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:12:40 pm by Reelyanoob »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 04:15:02 pm »

pincushion? ventilate?
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:46 pm »

covered might work- it's far from an exact match, but it fits in the same context- something might be covered in arrows or holes.

"Ventilated" might work, but I'm worried it will translate to something closer to "put out in an open space" rather than "thoroughly pierced through"

Oh, how about "pierced"?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »

@Fieari: Check the updated version, there's instructions on how to do the merging you want now, and a new script just for that.

Chinese is the best new file (100% chinese words, if not correct meanings) up there right now, since there's already another Japanese file in existence.

Had a really good version of portuguese which I somehow overwrote :( so I redid some work.
EDIT: portuguese is now completed. Greek is completed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:07:10 am by Reelyanoob »

carriontrooper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 09:45:43 am »

Here's the link to my Mega Mix mod thread (with credits), but I don't know which language file goes int which mod. All I know that I made myself is the Indonesian, Orkglish, and Spanish... I'll also include the DL for the language-only stuff. You should check out DFFD, and search for language, I think I got most of these off there.

Mega Mix:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46253.0

language files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4q77va0on96fiwg
I am wretched, but I am STRONG!
I am the future... I AM ZERG!
LIVE FOR THE SWARRRRMMMMMMMM

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:59 am »

Im gonna get to work on an ancient egyptian language file as soon as I get home. will this be of value to anyone?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 12:28:25 pm »

As convoluted as all that was, it does work at least.  Whew!  For those that don't want to go through the trouble, here's a full draconic language file.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 12:32:41 pm »

Im gonna get to work on an ancient egyptian language file as soon as I get home. will this be of value to anyone?
It will be awesome for our Illithid race in Genesis, as well as useful for some HMHVV gang in Shadowrun mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 12:07:47 am »

This project is official wrapped up for the near future. No more scripts are up, just language files.

Here's what I spent several days on Draconic painstakingly finding ways to express DF terms, now it's 100% complete. Though i'm not sure I like it more than Fieari's random one, it's a damn ugly language. I threw in a quick and dirty Orkglish Mk II file too, for laughs.

All the rest is now here in a download for 20 real-world languages, including TomiTapio's Finnish, the stuff carriontrooper provided and my 11 languages. Please let me know if anyone wants stuff taken out of this collection or credit to add. I ditched my Japanese file, and slighty tweaked the existing Japanese instead, and all my languages are now using standard character set only.

@Starmantis: Ancient Egyptian would be great as Deon said, I might try another ancient language but it's a lot more work.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:31:45 am by Reelyanoob »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Languages: Project Status: Complete
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:43 am »

In my opinion, Danish was alittle off.. and I understand some of them because Ææ Øø Åå are typically scandinavian.
SO I am changeing that one to suit my own needs.  ;D Not today, need my sleep.

Also, I suspect you used Google Translate?
I find it.. kinda flawed to be honest.  :P

But other than that, it's a nice thing really.
Now I can give humans a language that makes sense!  :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:23:59 am by Ultimuh »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Languages: Project Status: Complete
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 02:21:11 am »

Draconic. HELL YEAH.

Now I just have to do a dragon civilization.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5