Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphics Card  (Read 821 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Graphics Card
« on: March 11, 2015, 02:37:41 pm »

What is one of the more cost-effective external graphics cards?  I'm trying to upgrade my laptop, and while I can find some expansion of the RAM and a new CPU fairly easily, I'm not sure how to upgrade the graphics card.  I don't believe there is enough space for an internal, so that is why I am specifying external (granted, I could be wrong).
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Card
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:17:45 am »

I don't think this should be in creative projects...

Anyway, what laptop is it? Most laptops these days have their video chip soldered onto the main board and are unreplaceable. This is especially true for mid and low range chips. If it has an internal card, they are often very expensive and sometimes difficult to install due to differences in cooling setups.

An external graphics card is only practical if you have an external PCI Express interface available that is of reasonable speed, which is very uncommon AFAIK (I am only aware of the Alienware 14" laptops with this feature).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Graphics Card
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 04:21:04 am »

You might be able to get a connector for an external PCI-E port, actually, and wire that up internally instead. Then plonk your graphics card into that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.