Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: if gods can curse now, will there be blessing?  (Read 2529 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
if gods can curse now, will there be blessing?
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:57:54 pm »

Make piety an issue and give gods a more physical presence in the world of dwarf fortress.

Here is just a side example of what i mean. You have some epic combat but loose either an arm, or the ability to use it. (you go to a temple and pray to a god, who fixes/gives you a new arm (maybe it could have some cool effects on your description page like: your upper left arm is covered in glowing runes, etc.) But requires that you complete a dangerous quest. If you fail to complete the quest in time, you will get a heavy dose of curses.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: if gods can curse now, will there be blessing?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:00:39 pm »

Make piety an issue and give gods a more physical presence in the world of dwarf fortress.

Here is just a side example of what i mean. You have some epic combat but loose either an arm, or the ability to use it. (you go to a temple and pray to a god, who fixes/gives you a new arm (maybe it could have some cool effects on your description page like: your upper left arm is covered in glowing runes, etc.) But requires that you complete a dangerous quest. If you fail to complete the quest in time, you will get a heavy dose of curses.

UristMcDiety: "Because you did not finish the quest I gave you to regain your lost arm, I will take your other arm away from you!"

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:20:47 pm »

"in the year 131 ushogumoha the god of beasts bestowed the gift of the bears strenght to urist mclucky"
blessings like this?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »

Im pretty sure this is planned but i think your the first to give a idea how to get blessing other then
"in the year 666 elfytreehumper the god of elves and trees bestowed the the gift of trees to elfy mctreehugger after he ate a woodcutter"
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »

What I'd like to see are "blessings" that may be more in the interest of the gods than the mortal so blessed, or Gods that don't really see death or dismemberment as much of a problem for you, since you'll just be showing up in their afterlife anyway. So instead of the above "gift of the bear's strength" you might get "gift of the bears", where a bunch of bears show up. They're not necessarily friendly, but Ushogumoha likes bears, so he figures you might appreciate them too.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 04:03:26 pm »

To me the Secret and Curse systems can be very similar to eachother.

Though right now Blessings are called "Secrets" that simply cannot be told to others.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:17:52 pm by Neonivek »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »

What I'd like to see are "blessings" that may be more in the interest of the gods than the mortal so blessed, or Gods that don't really see death or dismemberment as much of a problem for you, since you'll just be showing up in their afterlife anyway. So instead of the above "gift of the bear's strength" you might get "gift of the bears", where a bunch of bears show up. They're not necessarily friendly, but Ushogumoha likes bears, so he figures you might appreciate them too.

For bonus points, the deities are all really socially awkward.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »

One problem is that it makes the game too much of a Nethack clone.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:12:48 am »

Hello, both games are roguelikes ! All roguelikes share similar things.

And Dwarf Fortress is nothing, NOTHING, like a Nethack clone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:26:32 pm »

To eliminate it from being a "Nethack" clone is just to make a relationship with the gods something special... rather then a two step given like Nethack.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 01:28:02 am »

For bonus points, the deities are all really socially awkward.

BWAHAHAHA! Yes, this. I like this a lot.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:05:59 pm »

Dude,

Dwarf fortress.  The world is supported by pillars of the most valuable material.  Underneath that is hell.  Greed sends you down into them, and eventually you will destroy the pillars of the world and witness consequences.  There is no happiness, only greed and gluttony.

There will be no happy in dwarf fortress.

A gift comes from the eye of the beholder.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 11:08:46 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 01:44:25 am »

There will be no happy in dwarf fortress.

Clearly someone has never eaten in a solid gold dining room with a time-release mister.
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 04:34:50 pm »

No, Nethack is impossible for 1, and 2, there's no structure for dieties in nethack to bestow blessings/curses upon psuedo-political interactions in a randomly generated landscape (besides a dungeon).

Also, the two aren't clones, they have some similarities, but they're totally different games. You're thinking of adv. mode.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:36:52 pm by clockwork »