Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Alien Creature Behaviors and Myth  (Read 14813 times)

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Creatures and Myth
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 09:46:10 am »

A giant ground dwelling miner bee (stingless and solitary, but it can fly and dig!).

Or, taking it to another level, the giant nomada bee that steals its lunch money (kleptoparasitic of miner bees).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:56:50 am by Buzzing_Beard »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 11:23:58 am »

Maybe I should be a little more specific on this, though...

I mean pseudo-sentient that behave differently.  The purpose is to have creatures with bizarre goals or behaviors.

Domovoi, which are spirits of domesticity, functionally, and are beneficial to families that can manage to keep one in the house, even though it looks like a cross between a wizened old man and a yeti is a good example of this.

Miner bees, which are real-life creatures, and hence, not pseudo-sentient monsters at all. 

The firebirds are just creatures with different kinds of bodies, but you aren't explaining anything different in how they actually behave.

The multi-tile monster sounds most like being a living weapon trap, which is an interesting concept, but these things are not really the purpose of this thread.

Like the domovoi, these don't all have to be necessarily hostile.  Or at least, not directly hostile. 

In other words, this:
I'd like to see some things more akin to traditional Gaelic and some Brythonic faeries. They were often not so much outright malicious (though they often could be) so much as possessed of a very warped sense of ethics that lacked the remotest sense of empathy for others. And a lot of them just looked weird. There's a Scottish creature that had a head the size of a whale on a man's body, with translucent skin and an enormous grin. He'd wander up on beaches sometimes and consume people with his massive maw. In one story, a priest gets it to stop by offering him hospitality (he gave him a cask of wine), and asked why it did such awful things. "I'm hungry." Then it went back into the sea. Some are pretty nebulous creatures, too. Like a kind of giant hairy man in some Manx and Scottish myths is seen, sometimes, but disappears into fog, and leaves a person with a sense of unnatural dread that drives a person mad with terror, often to the point of suicide. Hill-women were some kind of vampire like being that moved in groups. One would convince a lone traveler they needed assistance. If they followed, they'd be torn limb from limb by the rest of the group and their blood consumed from the wounds, and the creatures were revealed to be the dessicated phantoms of deceased women. I use these specific examples because they all had the same severe weakness to worked iron. Touching it would cause them to die. I find it funny because it's such a plain metal. I'd like some very bizarre, dangerous, or just gross things that could die by such bizarrely simple means (given, at least in said cultures, iron wasn't exceedingly hard to come by; considering the Gaels' view of how their people came to be, with invading Ireland and all with superior weapons, it was probably just a commentary on that, but it still lead to some hilarious and weird myths).

I'd really like to see catacombs and such offering creatures specific to the cultures that built them. Think of a civilization resembling the old Norse peoples; tombs could sometimes be guarded by something akin to a draugr in certain cases. But similar beings don't exist in all other mythologies. It'd be a good chance for some dynamism culturally, giving a region more direct character in relationship to the peoples who live in it. It'd really be nice when cultures are themselves more dynamic.

You might also want to take a peak at White Wolf's "Changeling" games...  Ogres are creatures that typically like eating human flesh and grinding bones to make their bread the more "fae", and less "human" they become, but even then, they are creatures you can actually talk to and bargain with... so long as you can offer them something they want more than eating your flesh. 

Others, like Fairest, have supernatural powers of manipulation and beauty, and just enjoy ruining people's lives through mind control for the sheer shits and giggles of the power trip.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 11:24:31 am »

I mentioned this earlier, but...

I'm thinking of something like the Leannan Sidhe from Celtic myth can be something almost a cross between a Greek muse and a succubus-like creature.  They are capable of appearing as beautiful to anyone, potentially through outright glamour or mind-control, and feed upon the life-force of those that fall in love with them.  They prefer artists or poets, and act as inspiration, lending them great success in their art and fame and fortune, but at the cost of draining their lives so that those affected by the Leannan Sidhe live short, but very happy lives.

They are sentient, capable of passing themselves off as human, can live in cities almost Mascarade-style, and potentially even capable of convincing others around them, or even their own victims that it's worth the price to live fast, die young, and leave a soul-drained corpse.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 11:31:36 am »

This is messed up: Krasue

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 11:39:33 am »

following on from the post near the beginning with multi-tile creatues, i would love to see that take th form of say, a kraken living in a sewer, its main body is in the water and it spawns tentacles to hit you with.

also, in evil areas in the catcombs, how about light fearing creatures- if you have a torch they will back away, but if it goes out...

I would actually like something like an ambush creature- it appears as say, a strange mossy substance o the passage, and when you reach a ertain distance it opens eyes, spawns mouths, clwas, etc to attack with.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 11:52:58 am »

Maybe I should be a little more specific on this, though...

I mean pseudo-sentient that behave differently.  The purpose is to have creatures with bizarre goals or behaviors.
Procedurally generated "fae" can be totally unfathomable. 
That is really easy enough by scrambling their AI. 

Getting one that you can tell a story about, and actually come to understand, is far harder.  Since any randomly generated AI will be totally alien in the way that fae and other mythical creatures aren't. 

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Creature Behaviors and Myth
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:48 pm »

Underground civ's that can hold teritory. Maybe a drow inspired race that order you to cut down more trees or else piss them off. Maybe a Skaven inspired race of ratmen. Orcs possibly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 12:29:41 pm »

Specifically the monsters that an entirely underground race would create wouldn't be that unknown.

Remember that a lot of monsters fit into three categories
1) Alegory/Fable: Monsters created to play upon the weaknesses of others
2) Fears: Fears brought to life. Afraid of being murdered in a small urban town? Werewolves
3) Natural Occurances: Monsters created to explain natural occurances.

I'd fully expect Dwarves to be afraid of monsters who breathe poisonous gases or who pass through stone as easily as a cart moves through a tunnel.

Basically ask yourself: What would a miner be afraid of?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 12:30:54 pm »

Water.

And Magma.

And sunlight.

(Only being semi-serious here.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »

Dwarves being afraid, subconsciously, of bright light makes sense.

Creatures who shine like the sun and make dwarves fall over in sickly convulsions, or just make dwarves outright deathly ill, would make sense.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:26 pm »

I'd like to see creatures with penchants for a given body part who rip that part off and run.
That could be pinkies or (if your unlucky) livers and hearts.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:43 pm »

Dwarves being afraid, subconsciously, of bright light makes sense.

Creatures who shine like the sun and make dwarves fall over in sickly convulsions, or just make dwarves outright deathly ill, would make sense.

Then why do they pay so much for Sun Berries and Sunshine?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

I just got a mental image of a dwarf miner accidentally tunneling into a chamber and being blinded by some kind of glowing creature...

Also,
I'd like to see creatures with penchants for a given body part who rip that part off and run.
That could be pinkies or (if your unlucky) livers and hearts.

How do you rip off somebody's liver? O_O

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 12:39:49 pm »

Because it is an alcohol they don't have access to and cannot grow.

Though imagine if there is an urban legend where dwarves who drink a lot of Sunshine get stalked by the sunlight stalker.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »

Because it is an alcohol they don't have access to and cannot grow.

Though imagine if there is an urban legend where dwarves who drink a lot of Sunshine get stalked by the sunlight stalker.

Or, turns into a sunlight stalker...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5