Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Alien Creature Behaviors and Myth  (Read 14802 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Creature Behaviors and Myth
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 10:07:58 pm »

Excellent point re: curses.  That brings to mind the Wendigo - adventurers, if hungry enough, will eat sentients.  Does this ever happen for historical figures in worldgen under any circumstances? (excluding elves, of course)

No.  They don't even forage before they starve to death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, that may eventually change...

The idea of a "positive curse" is one I'd rather like to see, though. 

Urist McPeterParker was bitten by a radioactive cave spider...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 02:34:11 pm »

The Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind had some good unusual creatures in them. The least spoilerific of these are some humanoids called Andolians who lived to carry messages from place to place. One lesson to draw from those books is that tying "interactions" to objects to create these creatures with unusual motivations is a good idea. The Vorpal Blade can cut through even adamantium--but only at the cost of turning your adventurer into a creature who must eat a -small iron right gauntlet- every day to live! Or some such silly procedural curse.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2011, 01:55:23 am »

Just watched a bit of a Fringe episode today. In it there were beetles that ate themselves out of a human host. I think that would be an interesting thing to have in the game, or parasites in general, particularly the zombifying parasites.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »

That would be awesome and !!FUN!!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »

Oh man, that would make an EXCELLENT forgotten beast syndrome.  "Beware its burrowing spawn!"
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:48 am »

What would be the difference between that and a sting. OH it could permanatly paralyze the dwarf and later a new baby copy of the beast could be born from that.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »

-edited several times due to posting fails >:(
Well since the op seems to have extensive knowledge Japanese Myths (where did you find all that great information? :D) I would like to suggest Yuki-ona like creatures
The Yuki-ona or Snow woman was basically  sort of like snow succubi(sometimes vampiric and sometime just killing travelers for sh*ts and giggles) She even devise tactics like pretending to abuse a child killing any good Samaritans.
    There is one story in particular about a young handsome boy who was caught by a Yuki-ona the Yuki ona let him live, simply because she thought he was attractive(potential pedo-bear like monsters perhaps?) on the condition he never tells anyone about the encounter, if he did tell she would kill him. When the boy grows up, he tells his wife about the Yuuki-ona.
The wife said,” That was me, I was the Yuki-ona, but I told you not to tell ANYONE about that day or I would kill you, but you are the father of my children so I won't kill you, but if you EVER lay a hand on my babies there will be hell to pay!".
Luckily, the man was a wonderful father

So along with pedo bear like creatures we could have mercy based on certain aspects of an individual (In this story beauty and later on child rearing) and potentially creatures (night hags or those (fox spirits I forgot the actual name) morph into human forms and potentially integrate into human society for various reasons, in some cases even integrating just to make sure someone follows through on a promise and maybe even showing gestures of forgiveness. Maybe even cases (if toady ever implements a “life” mode involving child-hood) when a child not-knowing any better sets a monster or a beast free from a trap of some sort, the monster could act as a guardian or potential suitor or love interest in the future (or with curses and powers in the next update infects the child and instructs them to come to a certain location when they feel they are ready.
    Speaking of such scenarios maybe we could have catastrophic events brought upon people by benevolent spirits that had good intentions but whose actions result in serious consequences. (A dwarven king Midas but with cotton candy perhaps?)
   Maybe a recreation of the Yuuki-ona’s story but with the man being a dead beat father
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:10:41 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2011, 08:06:12 pm »

Ooh! Creatures that were warped by a secret, built a small fort, and vowed never to let anyone know the secret again. A town might spring up around the ruins, or maybe the secret-keeper chose to hide in a city, or maybe they flee into deep wilderness and patrol the area for other creatures, the better to make sure none learn the secret. The area around the lair is littered with the products and maybe the reactants for a reaction secret.

For instance, if some such thing happened with the procedurally generated secret I described here, Urist McUhOh the part-draltha monster might retreat deep into the territory of The Nations of Wood, who provide guards to help prevent anyone from finding The Blue Grasses and learning The Waters of Greenness. The area might be littered with phantom spider soap and some leathers. The Steadfast Confederation might wage war on The Nation of Wood so it could teach others The Waters of Greenness, and attack the elves with part-draltha monster soldiers who knew The Waters of Greenness to regain The Blue Grasses.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »

Although not really fitting to DF's theme (or maybe it is, depends how you look at it.) I think that extraterrestrials might be interesting.

They would be procedurally generated, yes, but more importantly their goals would be.

Urist McJoeschmoe cancelled daily drudgery: licked by extraterrestrial.

Or the ETS could just stand on a hill and take notes... or place bets. Or light fires. Or... kick all goblin axemen in alphabetical order.
It gets Fun when you throw in syndromes. And since it sounds like curses can be spread through syndromes now...

Urist McFirstcontact cancels Job: became a werespider.

Even if this particular thing is not implemented, the framework to do so through modding would be nice.
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2011, 11:59:46 pm »

Or the ETS could just stand on a hill and take notes... or place bets. Or light fires. Or... kick all goblin axemen in alphabetical order.
Or insult everyone in the universe.
Or capture a dwarf, release him back "into the wild" with a tag of some exotic metal and a weird syndrome.
Or...Or...

Yeah, not extraterresrials, but normaller monsters could have weird goals like these.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lost_Deep

• Bay Watcher
  • Do deep things think the sun is a large lemon?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:23 am »

Or insult everyone in the universe.
Or capture a dwarf, release him back "into the wild" with a tag of some exotic metal and a weird syndrome.
Or...Or...

Yeah, not extraterresrials, but normaller monsters could have weird goals like these.

Ooh! Procedurally generated faeries would be magnificent! They look weird, they act weird, and no one can blame them because they're, you know, faeries.

ETs. What was I thinking?
...being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
...but what does [LAYER_LINKED] actually do?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2011, 12:00:02 pm »

sounds like you got a good ole clambake going can i join? :P
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]