Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Alien Creature Behaviors and Myth  (Read 14792 times)

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Creature Behaviors and Myth
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 12:43:21 pm »

How do you rip off somebody's liver? O_O
Skill, leverage and most importantly a very large hole in the torso.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »

Skill, leverage and most importantly a very large hole in the torso.

I am considering sigging this...

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 12:45:44 pm »

I just got a mental image of a dwarf miner accidentally tunneling into a chamber and being blinded by some kind of glowing creature...

Also,
I'd like to see creatures with penchants for a given body part who rip that part off and run.
That could be pinkies or (if your unlucky) livers and hearts.

You put your hand over the skin over liver grab rip. Ive seen the cut of Dolomite where Dolomite rips out Willy Greens liver.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 12:49:20 pm »

I'd like to see creatures with penchants for a given body part who rip that part off and run.
That could be pinkies or (if your unlucky) livers and hearts.

Kappa, one of the creatures I mentioned in the FoTF thread, and quoted in the OP, like to eat livers or intestines or souls or shirikodama, depending on the version of the myth, through either sucking them through the belly button, or through the *ahem* lower holes. 

Fortunately, however, they like cucumbers much more than human livers, so you can bribe them with cucumbers into leaving you alone, or even helping you if they feel like it and you have enough cucumbers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 01:19:13 pm »

Undead from spesific kind of deaths would make a replenishing source of properly motivated monsters too. For example, if monsters rose from people who suffocated in full leather outfits, the monsters would then try to strangle people wearing full leather while ignoring those incompatible with its requirements.

Monsters assembled with severed bodyparts would most likely numerous enough to form larger hives into sites of bloodshed. Dark caverns under bloody battlefields would be a fit premise for longer adventures of cleansing the area from evil. Somehow I'm picturing an ant queen-like entity protected by her frankenstein-esque drones along this one.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 01:52:12 pm »

I'm dusting off my old copy of Bullfinch's Mythology (Greek and Norse myth), but for now, I had Royall Tyler's Japanese Tales, and started looking through the Table of Contents for a good myth.

A title struck me:

"A Toad To Be Reckoned With."

I won't copy the whole tale, since it doesn't really involve the toad past a certain point.

"Once a big toad lived in the so-called Guards' Gate into the palace compound and used to trip people up.  Every evening at twilight it would come out and sit there looking like a low rock. Now one heading in toward the palace would fail to step on it and fall flat, as the toad hopped off into the gloom.  The victim might learn his lesson and look out next time, but for some reason he would always step on the toad again anyway and take the same tumble."

The story goes on about a fool who is a scholar at the nearby university who wants to beat the toad, and so noisily attacks a rock he mistakes for the toad until the guards come and kick him out.

"The servants lunged at him and chased him away.  As he fled down the avenue outside, he fell flat and scraped his face all bloody, but he picked himself up and ran on, hiding his face behind his sleeve, till he was finally lost."

Tricky toad...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 02:57:24 pm »

Undead from spesific kind of deaths would make a replenishing source of properly motivated monsters too. For example, if monsters rose from people who suffocated in full leather outfits, the monsters would then try to strangle people wearing full leather while ignoring those incompatible with its requirements.

Monsters assembled with severed bodyparts would most likely numerous enough to form larger hives into sites of bloodshed. Dark caverns under bloody battlefields would be a fit premise for longer adventures of cleansing the area from evil. Somehow I'm picturing an ant queen-like entity protected by her frankenstein-esque drones along this one.

In Buddhist thought there's the idea of the Hungry Ghost. People who have a great craving for something in life will be reborn as one, wandering the Earth as a spirit with even greater desire but often no means of fulfilling it. So if Urist McGhost really really liked microcline in life, he might come back to haunt the fortress as a spirit with an insatiable desire for microcline. The ghost could be pacified by offering microcline sacrifices, building microcline altars surrounded by microcline statues and adorned with hanging rings of microcline, etc... Or maybe he could be the driving force behind a possession mood.

Some examples from Greek mythology:
  • The Harpies, sent to torment the impious Phineas by stealing his food whenever he sat down to a meal.
  • Ants that dig up gold (mentioned in Herodotus). I don't think they actually did anything with it, they just dug it up as waste when they excavated their nests.
  • The Furies, sent to torment evildoers.
  • Bandits such as Procrustes and Sinis with rather imaginative methods of killing their victims.

Finally, the Egyptian Book of the Dead describes many Underworld creatures that guarded gateways and passages, and could be pacified with the correct spells. Actually they sound rather familiar...
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Book_of_the_Dead
The path to the afterlife as laid out in the Book of the Dead was a difficult one. The deceased was required to pass a series of gates, caverns and mounds guarded by supernatural creatures. These terrifying entities were armed with enormous knives and are illustrated in grotesque forms, typically as human figures with the heads of animals or combinations of different ferocious beasts...

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 03:18:50 pm »

obviously a DF reference...
>.>
<.<
Watching...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:00 pm »

• Ants that dig up gold (mentioned in Herodotus). I don't think they actually did anything with it, they just dug it up as waste when they excavated their nests.

that would be Antmen they are already in the game.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 05:51:00 pm »

I've always found the redcap to be an interesting supernatural creature, especially since it's a castle-specific monster who murders travelers in order to keep itself alive.  Abandoned human castles where evil acts occurred, those located in or near evil regions or alternatively abandoned goblin citadels would all be potential sites where they could reside.  Furthermore, they don't really have a clear origin story so there's plenty of room for in-game myth and legend to cloud their history.

Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

Creatures that look like other things until you get too close. I can think of a few examples. A tree stump with a rabbit on it which eats anyone who strays to close. What looks like a dead horse floating just under the surface of some still water which pulls people under and drowns them. A chest with a set of teeth. The important thing would be that if you look at them in game they should display as their disguises. In adventure mode it could roll against your perception and/or other stats and maybe reveal what it really is.

More detailed ghost behaviour for things like the Headless Horseman. Both the man and his horse are one ghost with two bodies which can separate from one another. Wanting to decapitate people because he was decapitated. So ghosts with their behaviour dictated by their death in more detail than currently.

A giant who dyes his hat red with the blood of his victims. Similar to grinding bones to make bread.

Creatures that abhor violence and will guard certain areas, buildings, people, and groups attacking any aggressors. Sneaking into a temple complex full of druids unable to draw your weapon because of a guardian spirit who will crush you if you even think about it. Could be interesting.

Music could be an interesting way to interact with strange creatures. Some could be attracted or repelled. Some could get emotional: happy, sad, scared, angry. It could even work as a weakness and turn them to stone or similar. Specific tunes could be learnt which have specific effects on specific creatures. While playing the guitar in he forest at night around a camp fire you can sometimes see strange shambling beasts with glowing eyes moving between the trees but keeping their distance.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 11:54:12 pm »

You dont need to draw your weapons o kill anyone all you need is the ability to pinch.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 07:50:57 am »

Vattic actually the horseman decaping people is a new thing which was introduced in the 19th century. Prior to that the horsemans touch would murder your right on the spot or after some days. Also his horse was often headless and starved and not a hellish aberration. Our local horseman is even a "undertaker" complete with a waggon etc. . 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 07:59:19 am »

Dullahan

Essentially a cross between the headless horseman and the grim reaper. In this case, it carries its head under one arm and wields a whip made from a human spine. And, to top it all off, this thing is a type of fairy. Just goes to show that the current pop-culture idea of a fairy has been heavily sanitized.

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:05 am »

The dullahan is actually much more complex than that lets on, with far more myths. Like in the islands in the west of Ireland, sometimes he doesn't even have a horse or carriage, but a boat made of human remains, often an old style coracle with human skin stretched over bones used to make the frame. In some cases he carries a sword or spear made of glass, gems, or mist instead of a whip of bone (that part was likely introduced during the Cambro-Norman Invasion; there were also Bretonic mercenaries and they had long believed in a similar being that carried a spine-whip), which kept with a general belief that faeries and their servants (more on that in a second) didn't touch worked iron for fear it'd kill them.

Also, if he's really a 'faerie', in the modern sense or not isn't known. Banshee comes from two words meaning 'faerie woman', but they're ghosts of murdered mortal women (and can be good or bad, depending on the conditions of her murder; if a family tried to defend her under the codes of hospitality, she sings sweetly as the person dies to calm them and their family, where as the shrieking and terror goes to the murderer's family). Most faeries were made as faeries (in very specific ways; faeries are seriously supposed to be sterile under most conditions, as it was believed immortality brought sterility, and the only way around it was very elaborate breeding conditions). The dullahan in some stories is simply a cruel dead man who faeries stole the soul of, or who gave them his soul for some reason, and pressed into their service. He's not a faerie himself, in a strict sense, but one of their servants, in that view. In others, he really is one, but he enjoys taking on a terrifying form because he actively hates mortal men and wants to shock and disgust them into leaving him alone.

After fellows like that, though, you have entirely boring faeries. Like leprechauns. They're much more interesting than people would think, in the historic mythopoetic view, while still being dreadfully dull for supernatural creatures. They don't really like other faeries (leprechauns have rather human-like ethical views in a lot of stories, if still a bit odd or off), they're indifferent, usually, toward people (unless doing business with them, or, in the form of the drunken clurichaun, given wine and beer, at which point they love them), and they just want to make a craft (in later stories, shoes, but that was probably from Germanic influence that it became so popular, not that they didn't ever make shoes before, but it wasn't so strictly associated). They'd make anything, but if it was a pair of things, they'd only ever make one and refer you to a relation to make the other for some reason. Often they just seemed to be little angry old men who didn't die and possessed magic powers who liked to make things of impossible quality or from materials that should work (one story has a cloak made from carbuncle gems that is soft to the wearer, but anyone striking him finds it impossible to break through, and it allowed the buyer to vanish from the sight of even faeries and ghosts). Though they could get very violent if not paid. It's where the whole obsession with gold thing comes from; Gaels didn't actually use coins, save for ring money (a currency which was constantly reappraised whenever used, having no standard value), for a long time, except for trade with foreigners. They bartered instead with mixtures of ring money and goods.

Leprechauns would demand odd goods though. They'd ask for normal things, like maybe a valuable ring or a necklace made of gold or silver, but then they'd ask for everything from some hair or part of a finger nail, to a cup of horse blood or your own blood, and you weren't allowed to ask what for (it violated rules of hospitable trade, and that would really tick them off; it wasn't your right to know what a person wanted an item for in trade). In that sense, back to DF, it would be interesting to have rather dull, relatively hospitable spirits and creatures who are polite to a point, may provide a service of some kind, but have bizarre demands and rules about what is polite or not to them. What may seem a completely normal question may infuriate them to the point of abandoning you while stealing things, injuring you, stealing less tangible things like memories, or outright attempting to kill you through brute force or their powers. At the same time, they may become incredibly pliable if given something easily attainable (in this example, booze), though they'd never tell you that; such creatures in myths tend to have an odd amount of presumption and simply expect you to know what they like or not, even if those things are bizarre or so simplistic no human being would readily consider them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5