Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1260399 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10020 on: January 27, 2021, 01:45:13 pm »

Cosmoteer :  https://walternaterealities.itch.io/cosmoteer

I went with the regular mode (not the creative one) and after beating down many enemy ships with my starting lonely vessel on the easier sectors, after getting some more ship to join into my fleet i started to go after harder locations.
Making then more money from the stronger targets and slowly affording some bigger ships to join the fray.

But harder is also costly, lost many ships too, and repairs isn't cheap.
Fortunately bigger targets deliver even more money so you can keep up and add new ships to replace the lost ones (sell the "too expansive to repair" guys , you may then be able to have enough money for a good replacement ship).

So at some point i felt my fleet was powerfull enough and went after the hardest sectors (one of the red "vanguard" difficulty one) .
Destroyed an enemy that wasn't much to my surprise , then faced a bigger vessel

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My good Constellation class ship (it's one made after the Star Trek one) that served me so well so far was heavily hurt as this enemy wasn't joking at all, oddly the Constellation could still fight tough at a very weak capacity, while my Spork warships (they reminded me of the Homeworld Kadesh "needle" mothership that's why i bought them) with their very nice continous laser were starting to dig into the heavy protections of the enemy juggernault

But while it was going slowly in my favor despite my fleet was getting hurt, what i underestimated was the last enemy ship of that sector, at some point it decided to join the battle instead of flying around.
And wow, it was the biggest warship i saw so far, it annihilated 2 of my Sporks that bravely bought me time to get the FTL drives of my ruined Constellation and the last Spork + my starter ship that was still alive fully charged, so i jumped away to an empty sector to repair.

After that i attacked lesser sectors (though out of one in Professional difficulty, the sectors left were on Veteran and Elite difficulty) to remake some money and managed to build up again my fleet, this time i spared enough money to get some big guns.
Once i felt ready, i went back to the sector that kicked my warship sorry bottoms.

And wow, i didn't expected that, as my fleet jumped right next the huge enemy warship, so while they were not yet all powered up (for the big ships their shields weren't even available yet) the enemy was having a lot of fun shooting.

The Umbrage juggernault , the strongest of my ships (and the most expansive one), took the worst spanking with his pants down, as seen in the screenshot (and on the upper top of it) it's a miracle it wasn't fully destroyed as it lost a heavy majority of its components.
Fortunately while the Umbrage was being slowly annihilated, my other warships went back online and delivered a very good beating to the enemy.

After lot of damage in my fleet, the enemy was finally destroyed, we then annihilated the derelict enemy left (the one from the 1st screenshot that despite incapacited was still alive when we ran away)

The big money earned allowed me to replace the lost Umbrage by a Hammerhead shark - like big warship
Was happy that my starter ship was still in one piece, can't believe it survived the ordeal

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: January 28, 2021, 05:20:22 pm »

Built a semi-automated processing system. A ram drill feeds a shredder, which then spits out whatever nuggets it produces into a pan. After some time passes, I then take that pan and empty it onto a conveyor line that passes the load through 4 sorters(there's five categories to sort, so the last one goes all the way through). Two of these sorters feed gold and iron into smelters, while the cloutium, gems, and shards get put into storage pans for later processing.

The entire setup cost me around 4000 coins. Letting this run for minute or two, and processing the gold and iron into necklaces/swords yields several hundred to over a thousand coins each when sold, not counting the ever-growing pile of gems, shards, and cloutium that I can't use fast enough(or in the case of cloutium, at all yet).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: January 28, 2021, 07:46:34 pm »

Game dumps a boss fight on me rather suddenly and without any particular plot justification. It wrecks me in seconds. Repeat that for multiple attempts for about a week.

Looking it up, the consensus is that this is actually the hardest boss battle in the game considering the point in the game it happens.

I spend a significant amount of time grinding, stocking up on healing items, and making sure everyone has the best equipment I could get them. ...And the boss still wrecks me within seconds. I try again, this time making sure to take a close look at the options for managing party members' AI. This time, it's a very close fight. I burn through almost all my Apple Gels, ALL my Orange Gels, and surprisingly few revive items. Even manage to achieve the Secret Mission objective. Towards the end of the fight, I scan his stats and find he has about 700HP left(out of around 32,000HP). Then the healer gets knocked out just as the mage is casting the finishing attack. I manage to revive the healer less than half a second before the boss dies, saving her from missing out on the experience from the fight.

I'm super late replying to this, but I just wanted to commiserate. I played through the entirety of Vesperia's main storyline with three buddies who are pretty competent (competent enough to use the silly mechanic to stun the boss) and that fight still sucked. I can't imagine what it's like with only AI companions making dumb decisions all the time.

I played as Estelle, so I spent most of the battle weeping into my controller while desperately trying to repair depleting HP pools. It was traumatizing.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: January 29, 2021, 09:37:04 pm »

I seem to have identified a couple of oddly powerful things in this game. 

For one, this stupid Torgue pistol.  It fires a corrosive shot (a situationaly powerful damage type that does DOT) surrounded by 4 explosive shots (of obvious generic use, particularly to grab a second wind by killing a weak ad).  Sure the cylinder holds 5 "shots" (AKA 25 shots).  And it's hard to hit distant moving targets with the gyro-jet rounds.  It's still basically a hand shotgun that's at once sabot and chemical buckshot.

And it was a guaranteed drop from a side mission!  It's level 25 and I'm benching level 35 Jakobs revolvers *and shotguns*, my go-to weapon of choice, because this jerk gun I got many chapters ago makes them nearly obsolete.  (The effect is Roisen's Thorns, with the special text "Where there is pleasure, there is pain.")

The biggest exception would be a remarkable Jakobs revolver which had nearly +400% critical damage.  And the flat damage wasn't too shabby, particularly at the time.  So for a bit my favorite strategy was to melee an enemy, making them stagger predictably, then calmly crit their head.  Usually causing their entire body to mistify.  Or just snipe with it since the Jakobs ironsights are nice and reliable.  That was fun, I wish I was still using that gun :<

The final example is an action ability, and those are supposed to be super powerful and all.  But maybe I spent too much time on Borderlands 2 Newgame+, because I feel like Rakk Attack is beyond fair.  I'm clearing at-level or even slightly overlevel areas while barely firing a single shot.  And it absolutely destroys bosses.

FL4K throws a barrage of flaming Rakk-birds which act as homing dive-bombers.  FL4K can throw them over obstacles because there's a polite delay before they home in.  I've used them as freakin radar.  Unlike most action abilities, you get to save up 2 (3 with a skill option) charges of this, and two is enough to nearly destroy a miniboss if they're the only target!  The charges also recharge on individual timers so there's no penalty for throwing them all out quickly.  Some enemies resist fire, but there's an option to switch to cryo damage (though that would reduce how often I get to throw them).

In conclusion, I think part of it is that I'm just decent at Borderlands, but I'm also a little annoyed that it has me stuck in a mechanical rut.  I'm hoping to loot another legendary (or heck, even epic) Class Mod that lets me justify switching out of the Hunter skilltree.  The other trees are about turning invisible and striking with guaranteed crits, or (my favorite) pointing at a place and having my pet emerge there, mutated huge and radioactive, and fucking shit up.

Pretty enamored with the game, though.  And I'm a synth eeeee
Borderlands 3

Edit2:  Oh, oh, a specific moment I owned (sorta) and the original thing I was going to share: 
There was a cool mech boss in the middle of a big circular arena.  And I fought past its first phases to where it had "an exposed eridium core".  Ans I saw some wiring and stuff midway down it's stalk, so I just fired on that with my explosive-pistol (because it's a big target so all the shots always landed).  And it's chipping away its health, just, slower than I would expect from what the mission NPC claimed.  Also it wasn't attacking me.  So I kept firing these gyrojets into it a while, before casually summoning some rakks who swooped around it a little and did *massive* damage.

I circled around - The boss had a big scary beam cannon pointed away from me.  I was only damaging it at all by doing explosive AOE on its back.  It was half dead and it died super fast to a swarm of firebirds.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:45:18 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: January 30, 2021, 02:42:07 pm »

Rogue Adventure, inferno run or whatever it is, the current second option.

Game kept giving my assassin masked swordsmen (attacks once for every copy of itself you have, then duplicate and exiles itself, incrementing the number or copies without cluttering the deck; for Slay the Spire folks, think a multiplicative instead of additive claw), also gave me plenty of strength stuff, a nature mage (double strength/resistance), and enough gold to dupe said mage. Also found +max mana skills and had the gumption to halve my max HP and blind myself to use them.

By the end of the run, I was seeing fights where by the second or third turn I was outputting >1k damage, due to double doubled strength catapulting me into the 30s on top of a base of five or six swordsmen.

... for reference, that kills basically everything in the game from full health, including the last boss on what I think was max difficulty. The, like, largest base damage you'll see on a card is sub twenty, and your base cards played per turn is 3. Quite possibly the wildest run I've seen on that game, just straight up broke it over my incredibly stabby knee.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: February 03, 2021, 05:49:08 am »

Just won miniLaw: Ministry of Law, the best generic RoboCop simulator I've ever seen.  Some people say it reminds them of Judge Dredd.  Well, maybe in that you're not really unique and didn't have to die to get cybered, but the recent additions of news stories completely captures the RoboCop feel.

The funny thing is, while the character is wearing a power armored exoskeleton with futuristic weapons, the most valuable piece of equipment is the defibrillator that can bring the character back from the dead.

Also...I never blocked an attack.  Not once in my entire playthrough.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: February 03, 2021, 08:44:50 am »

XCom Long War,  Classic difficulty with Red Fog enabled.   My sole survivor of a UFO scout landing assault mission, an injured scout  with only lightening reflex and no upgraded tech, was surrounded  inside the UFO by a Seeker, a Thin Man and a sectoid.  And yet he managed to escape the UFO into the woods and eventually kill all three to complete the mission.  Soon after my campaign imploded, but it was worth it just for the memories of that mission.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: February 03, 2021, 09:08:41 am »

Wasn't recent, but my funniest own was when I killed a famous dead by daylight streamer while he was showing people his unbeatable strategy and made him lose ranking.  He was doing the old claude strategy where you can heal almost as fast as the killer can recover from hitting you, and jumping back and forth between a window in the big grain elevator building.  As he jumped through the window I turned and wiggled my mouse at the door so the red light the killer gives off looked like I was going through, then doubled back and hit him as he jumped back through the window.

Then since he'd pissed me off I didn't take him to the hook to properly kill him, I just stood over his body and waited for him to bleed out while his viewers laughed at him and he whined about losing rank.

Fucker had it coming.
Shoes...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: February 03, 2021, 02:02:31 pm »

Were you stream sniping? Otherwise I don't know how you could have possibly known what his reaction was.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: February 05, 2021, 08:07:27 am »

stream sniping is a human right
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: February 05, 2021, 10:15:25 am »

First time getting to the heart in Slay the spire.

Did it with the Ironclad, started with Juggernaut making putting block an offensive tactic, at some point I think I bought Barricade making every battle get to some point where I have way more block then enemy could dash out, finally got a relic that put barricade in my starting hand and with a couple of body slams the game became a breeze, even attacking helped because I had a lot of rage cards.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: February 06, 2021, 07:57:11 pm »

First time getting to the heart in Slay the spire.

Did it with the Ironclad, started with Juggernaut making putting block an offensive tactic, at some point I think I bought Barricade making every battle get to some point where I have way more block then enemy could dash out, finally got a relic that put barricade in my starting hand and with a couple of body slams the game became a breeze, even attacking helped because I had a lot of rage cards.

Yeah, that's always a good build.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: February 09, 2021, 01:30:13 am »

finished Cuphead island one uwu
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: February 09, 2021, 05:04:45 pm »

Saw this game was in my update queue, reminding me it still exists. Space battle over Hoth. Battle wasn't going particularly well, so I landed in the enemy Star Destroyer's hangar bay, blew up their life support, followed by their engine coolant tanks, followed by their auto-turret targeting computer(which doesn't give many points, if I remember correctly). Stole a TIE fighter to escape, nearly destroyed their sensor array before being shot down. Pull another X-Wing, die on another attempt on the array. Pull one more, a single blaster shot finishes the sensor array for the win.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: February 09, 2021, 06:25:06 pm »

I played it some too recently! I think it's double tap a/d to barrel roll (a good trick) and s to do a flip dodge thing.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 708