Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1260303 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10110 on: July 05, 2021, 10:54:00 am »

Finally completed the Shadowrun Dragonfall campaign and really enjoyed it so much it was sad that it was finished, even if the ending is rather open to a possible sequel (that never happened as the next game isn't a followup to Dragonfall), i'm going to miss the runners that were part of my team.

The very good character development (and their side missions) made them much more interesting than the random runners you were hiring in Shadowrun Returns.

Lesson i learned when building my character and improving it with karma point: do not forget to give your guy/gal some good combat oriented skills, you may imagine to make some kind of hacker extraordinaire, but the amount of forced battles will kick his/her sorry bottom (that fortunately your good teammates can save) if you specialize only in non-combat abilities, much more survivability with a mix of fighter/decker than with a "pure" decker that would become useless in the many fights in the game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: July 14, 2021, 07:39:18 pm »

Discovered a single-jump, back-and-forth trade run that got me over 600k in profit in a single run in a Type-6. Probably would have been more profit, but I didn't have enough cash to load up a full cargo hold in silver, had to fill the rest with cobalt. The only downside is that one of the stops is a planetary base, so that takes longer to land on/take off from. Still faster than my attempt to use the Type-6 as a mining ship.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: July 16, 2021, 02:53:23 am »

Scotland Pictland's King Ciniod of house Uib is in a strange situation.  From what I can tell, the kingdom has changed hands between his dynasty and the Circinn dynasty  a couple times, with 200 years where the Uerturio family were in charge.

Ciniod is actually the first King of Pictland since before that time, with the Circinn's holding it for a while.
I'm not sure how, though.

See, there's a tangle - Ciniod is king, and holds a lovely demesne of two counties.  Plus one vassal - an Uib duke who holes the other eight.  Yeah, one vassal with 4x the territory as the king.  How did this come to pass?

It's further complicated since these are feudal societies, not tribes.  So King Ciniod doesn't get to call raiders from the duke's lands.  And, horror of horrors, when the King takes a few losses in retaking ancestral Pictish lands, the duke raises a flag of revolt.  With his chiefs choosing to aid him.

He lost, obviously, because I am King Cinoid.  As a master of finance I hired some mercenaries, and then also promised a lot of usury to some moneylenders.  It's not heresy if it works

And the best part, which I wasn't at all sure about, is that this act of treason voided the scum's rights to the duchy (Petty Kingdom, technically).  Not just for him, but for his family.  Murderers caught in the act can be forced to abdicate to their children, but this poor soul just broke the feudal-
No wait, this isn't feudal, it's tribal.  Hm.  I guess he was just brazen enough, and failed hard enough, that people accept my judgement as victor and king.

Crusader Kings 2

Edit: Ah F me, I'm owned.  No vassals would object because he's literally a traitor, but we don't have laws for revocation of titles.  F!
Edit2: Banishing him (such that his child inherits) is seen as unjustified, this is craaaap.  They'd be LESS annoyed if I cut his head off, even though that's mechanically very slightly better for me: his child still inherits, but he doesn't sit around some foreign court with a pressable claim).
What an asshole.  oh no he fell in the oubliette oh nooooo
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:12:34 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: July 16, 2021, 06:42:47 pm »

Got that above trade run to about 1.5 million credits in profit round trip, but now it's three stops in two systems. First I grab Marine Equipment from what I effectively use as a home base(an industrial station), jump over and drop that off for about 100k profit and pick up some Animal Meat from an agricultural station. Run that over to a planetside refinery station, drop that off for some small cash, load up on 100t of silver, and jump that back to my home base for 1.4 million profit. And once the silver dries up, gold is the next best, followed by cobalt. The whole run takes about 20-25 minutes, would probably be less if I were more willing to violate speed limit laws around stations.

Sure, there's probably more profitable trade runs, tons of guides and 3rd-party tools to find them, but this is one I found myself and I'm quite happy about.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: July 23, 2021, 11:34:19 am »

Completed Shadowrun Hong Kong.

Enjoyed it a lot, especially how different it felt from Dragonfall (Dragonfall is still my favorite), as while both campaigns are +/- equally long but it feels Hong Kong had more creative missions (and a lot less combat-focused ones) run so playing it right after completing Dragonfall didn't felt like "more of the same" and the Shadowrun atmosphere of Hong Kong felt really different than the one in Berlin : the stakes aren't the same, the government stuff isn't either, all of this is very well made in the game.

A bit too many teeth in the end of the campaign :D but i was very satisfied the way i got out of that ugly situation, as i guess talking to everyone between mission every time during the course of the game unlocked the possibility for me of getting out those teeth with  the best ending.

That endgame was easier than some of the early fights oddly, but with all their new acquired powers from leveling up, i guess my team became simply unstoppable : Gobbet's power to increase hit percentage, to increase amount of moves by turns, the acidic fog makes her incredible, Duncan insanely good gun skills also dealt a lot of death. Is0bel grenade launcher had some amazing results when there were a few enemies close to each other.
That was my main team everytime (Gobbet, Is0bel and Duncan) and it worked great with my melee oriented machette maniac that was destroying health and armor with his weapons.

During the game missions, i found that the arm magnet cyberware is a bit overpowered, basically your character magnet/catch every grenades sent his way and throw them back to the thrower. And considering how much grenade lobbing there is in this game (as soon as 2 of your guys/gals are close to each other, you can be sure a few enemies will launch grenades) that's a monstrously powerfull ability to have.

Now to try that bonus campaign that follow on the main one and take back your character into the fray. Hopefully Gobbet is still there , she was the best Hong Kong character easily :)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: July 25, 2021, 10:53:14 pm »

Was heading to Old Gas Station to see if I could extract - the flares were present, but so was a Scav. I drop him without much trouble, but then turn to notice one, and then two Scavs. I take a few hits(nothing serious), panic and swap to my TOZ (which I'd looted off of a Scav I'd killed earlier) but manage to get away to heal and notice I'm running low on ammo for both my AK and my TOZ. After a few moments to calm myself, I rush back to Old Gas Station. Drop the second scav with the rest of my AK ammo, then swap to the TOZ and finish the last Scav with a single shot.

Extracted with a whole slew of valuables, including a Power Supply Unit.

Today was a good day.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: July 29, 2021, 01:47:06 pm »

I didn't really own, I did nothing here, but it was fucking amazing.

Large tribal raid came, they were sappers and came with stick bombs.

The first thing they do on entering the map is start sapping. They're all bunched up right next to the terrain they're trying to break through.

The stick bomb goes off, knocking out the thrower. Because he was knocked out, he dropped the stick bombs. Because he dropped the stick bombs and the explosion wasn't *quite* over, the rest of the stick bombs detonated wiping out over half of the raid and making them flee.

Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: July 29, 2021, 03:06:48 pm »

I can only imagine the thrower's final words were, "WITNESS ME!"
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: July 29, 2021, 03:34:53 pm »

Came across the guy who robbed an already emotionally unstable young girl, leaving her traumatized, threatened to kill her and her grandmother, and was about kill one of their bodyguards, which would have orphaned two other adorable little girls... assuming he wasn't going to go kill them afterwards(which was actually highly probable). Then he makes the mistake of pulling his sword on me.

So I shot him in the face with an arrow that literally deletes things from existence. Most Yiga will drop a smoke bomb and flee if they're beaten. This guy was not getting that chance.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: August 08, 2021, 11:01:14 am »

Finally completed this week epic freebie "A Tale of Plague : Innocence"
And it was really good, a lot better than i thought, as even lowering the graphic and resolution to get it running very smooth on my "NotGamerPC" it was still looking incredibly detailled and superb, nice optimisation. 

The end felt like a classic western movie "cowboys riding into the sunset", except it's winter and your in a wooden cart rolling in the snow (no spoiler don't worry  :) )
But it was a truly fantastic ride up to the end, even if some of the things and twists happening were rather telegraphed, it was a lot of fun (well relatively as some npc do not really have fun in the game) and very interesting things were happening .

I wish it would have followed up on the realism of the first part instead of dwelving too much into "occult magic blood demonic rat virus sorcery" as it felt a lot more immersive in what was a rather amazing well done recreation of medieval time before the game went the magic path. But all in all it was still good and i guess the wizardry thing allowed some gameplay twists to keep things surprising.

The stealth based gameplay was unfortunately mostly railroaded (the environment while looking open is 100% linear unfortunately with lots of various kind of barrier stopping you from going outside the only available oath) and most of the time a bit too easy, but a few moments were memorable and difficult.

The boss fights went to medium to hard in term of difficulty, depending on how fast you can switch ammo (as you need to use some ammo sequence to clear a boss phase and go into the next one) in order to not waste time and get killed by the bosses weapon. 

It's sad there's no replay value, as you can only replay chapters but without  anything (ammo or weapon) you may have unlocked through the game.

And the save system is probably one of the worst console-checkpoint type of crap because checkpoints are forced on you and there's no way to load an earlier checkpoint, so if you did something the game wasn't expecting you to do (or wasted some ammo and ingredient while testing that you notice you would have needed a bit after) and then the game decide to force a checkpoint there , you're good to replay the whole chapter.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: August 08, 2021, 12:36:54 pm »

Just had my first ever game of SMAC. Played as Deidre on talented level and intended to roleplay her, i.e. the environmentalist strategy bit, but  after accidentally nuking the university faction  I ended up having to cuckold Morgan  and adopt a nuke everything and nerve-staple strategy.  By the middle of the  mid game the apparently appalled AI had but  entirely collapsed and  micro-managing dozens of their captured bases became tedious to the point i just kept clicking turn-end, even through the video cut-scenes.    Finally I reached the end of the game's time span achieving an obviously good score but narrowly missing a transcendence victory, although i  still got  to experience a universal consciousness of sorts in that I had pretty much fallen asleep by then.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: August 29, 2021, 07:49:44 pm »

This is the first time I can remember being 1st place in my team. Am still rather pissed about it, because we lost, despite reducing the other team's score to zero(meaning, they won with what was left their very last spawns). Map was Monastery, Invasion(attacking team has limited troops to capture points, defender has unlimited spawns but cannot recapture).

I just barely managed to stop the takeover of the second or third capture point(a house), by running in and stabbing the one enemy inside. I was, in fact, the only person defending that house, since the respawn point was far away. I managed to hold that house by my lonesome for several minutes, defending with both my sniper rifle and knife, despite the fact there was an enemy tank right outside. Even though I was eventually killed, I bought my team enough time to push back a little. I managed to nail a different tank with TNT, destroying it.

Eventually pushed back towards the last two points, the monastery gate and main tower(basically, it big goddamned castle). Held that for several minutes, and I think the main reason they broke through that was because someone on the other team was almost certainly aimbotting. I say that because at one point he jumped from around a corner facing the other way(with no way whatsoever to see me), and in the span of a single frame he turned and instantly shot me in the head with an SMG while still in the air. Unless that was an actual bot, but I have no reason to think the bots serve as anything more than targets for the other team. Of course, you never can tell which soldier in an enemy squad is the human or the bots in this game.

Defending the last point, someone on my team graciously left a rally point(mobile respawn) near the gate. The enemy, instead of destroying it, tried to camp and farm kills. That failed and bit them, leaving a very good flanking point. As stated above, they were down to zero troops left, but they managed to overrun the point anyway.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: August 29, 2021, 10:10:46 pm »

Basically any time I'm first place on my team in a multiplayer shooter I always feel like its more reflective of my teammates lack of skill than any talent on my end.

I'm not familiar with Enlisted, what's the pitch on that one?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: August 30, 2021, 05:23:01 am »

I'm not familiar with Enlisted, what's the pitch on that one?

Kinda like Battlefield, but the schtick is that you're not controlling one soldier, you have a whole squad. You can switch freely between which soldier you control, and the rest are controlled by AI. Various squad types exist; basic infantry which has a lot of soldiers but only have bolt-action rifles, assault squads which have SMGs, etc. The AI is of course terrible, and my squad usually gets wiped long before I go down.

It's free-to-play, by the same people who made War Thunder(with all the baggage that implies). There's been some rumors for a while that War Thunder was going to have infantry, and I'm guessing that it was actually Enlisted.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: September 16, 2021, 02:56:17 am »

Nioh

that damned "Hino-Enma" , destroyed my character too many times but i was still keeping at it because i had started to get her various attacks patterns , my only problem was a mix of pressing the wrong key when trying my dodges :D or just not paying attention enough to my timing with attacks and retreat (one of her kick combo attack can randomly add a additional strike after her normal combo so attacking before that random last strike can be nasty if she decide to do that last strike  and waiting can lead into more difficulty) and item use.

So it always ended badly despite i knew i could take that bastard vampiress out if i managed to not make stupid mistakes, because the technique was there now and i was wearing the best i could while maintening low weight to still be on the A tier of agility (so i can move faster and attack/dodge consume less stamina).
Spoiler: damn you (click to show/hide)

But one the many attempts, there was one in which i did less stupid mistakes than usual (i still had to drink all my elixirs to stay alive and was on my last leg in term of health, a single hit and i would have been gone) i did it, no more Hino-Enma
Spoiler: finally (click to show/hide)

That boss fight really left me tired, burn in hell you damned vampiress :D
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 708