Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275281 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10140 on: October 02, 2021, 11:50:23 pm »

Looting a police station after having believing I cleared the area of hostiles while still recovering from the wounds taken in clearing it, I was strolling through the back hallway outside the evidence safe with a duffel bag full of various loot.  Unfortunately, "believing it cleared" and "actually being cleared" are subtly different things that hinge on me having misidentified an enemy inside a cell with an enemy roaming outside that I had lured off, as I discovered when I came face to face with a rather irritated Kevlar hulk between myself and the exit.  I had no time to pull out any weapons except for either the one in my scabbard, a jian that would have done no good against an armored foe, or the one on my toolbelt, everyone's best friend in self defense, the mace.  What resulted was a brutal toe-to-toe slugging match between me and said hulk as it hammered me against the brick walls with its fists and I whaled on it with a heavy metal weight on a stick.  I came out of it badly beaten to within a centimetre of my life, with every limb in the red or pink except my right leg, which was broken in several places and desperately screaming for either a splint or morphine, but I came out of it alive.  The hulk's bloody corpse was pulped, I dragged my duffel bag and loot to my van, and I made for home, where I spent the next week recuperating and working on my mobile base for the oncoming winter exploration expedition.  Not bad for only having 3 skill in bashing and dodging (pre-modifiers, including modifiers dropped my dodging to 1.5); the chainmail and MBR vest were likely critical. 

Side note: this also means there's a second Kevlar hulk walking around outside (the one I mistook for this one).  I think I'm going to plan for that with plenty of armor-piercing bodkin bolts when I hunt it down.  Or, you know, just keep trying to avoid it.  Unlike the skeletal juggernauts, they're too fast to outmaneuver while filling them with bolts.

Second side note: Remember, Proper Planning Prevents Perfectly Poor Performance.  There is no excuse for the kind of failure in intelligence that results in going toe-to-toe with any sort of hulk by accident.  By intention and out of fun, on the other hand...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:53:47 pm by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: October 04, 2021, 12:51:38 pm »

Took down the Bell Gargoyles. Broke down and summoned Solaire for the fight, who absolutely curb-stomped them, praise the sun. Even without Sunbro, I was actually doing pretty well. Set my halberd on fire, and found my shield blocks a lot more than I thought it would. Also realized my equip load was too heavy, and besides a full suit of chainmail is constantly annoying to walk in with all that clinking.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: October 04, 2021, 05:10:05 pm »

Don't feel guilty. From what I've heard, they're specifically designed to encourage you to use systems like titanite reinforcing or summoning. Summoning is a feature in this fight, not a bug.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: October 05, 2021, 01:15:37 am »

You shouldn't feel bad about summoning. That's what those NPCs are there for, after all. Soloing bosses is something you do to measure your own progress. Just don't be one of those guys you see in Dark Souls 3 who summon other players and wait at the bonfire for them to clear the entire level for them before they run to the boss fog. That's just shameful.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: October 06, 2021, 04:51:58 pm »

Barely stopped a loss at midgame by slaughtering up the right flank with my FNAB-43 and getting behind the next capture zone, causing enough disruption(alongside a friendly armored car) to allow the rest of the team to capture. We had about 140 points(start with 1000) left, and that capture put us over 600.

Pushed onto the last capture zone of the match, had about 400 points left, and looked like were about to occupy the zone in force for the win... Then the game started lagging. It started lagging hard. Even without trying to move, I was rubberbanding from wall to wall. Probably the same experience the rest of the team was having. Rather quickly dropped to 0 points. Everyone, on their last spawns, rushed the point, carpeted it in grenades, and took over. One enemy with a flamethrower tried burning us out, but the point finished capturing just as I got set on fire.

Placed 2nd on team with Melee Master, Grenade Master, and Best Assaulter squad awards.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: October 06, 2021, 09:10:40 pm »

Beat all three major bosses in Get In the Car Loser, Devil Clock on ... didn't get TPK'd on a boss even once.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: October 12, 2021, 06:20:43 pm »

Probably doesn't count because the end result is horrifying, but...

Raided a wreck deep(around 350m-400m) in the northeast area of the map. Heard Reaper roars the entire time. Was able to acquire numerous useful blueprints, including Alien Containment, and two of the three PRAWN arms(I'm missing a fragment for the drill arm... which I desperately need). The torpedo arm is especially good since it also unlocks the Seamoth's torpedo system which otherwise requires magnetite(which I couldn't find besides drillable deposits). Stopped by a cliffside on the way back to gather up some extra resources.

Heard some Reaper roars a little louder, looked up and- oooohhhh shhiiiit. Hopped in my Seamoth and floored it. It followed close behind. I could tell by the roars, which were louder and different. I tried some tricky maneuvers. I banked to the left, then turned a little to the right to see the Reaper miss me by inches... and smack face-first into an Ampeel. Which is what precisely what I was aiming for. Well, as precisely as I can get when I have about a second to plan ahead. Not sure if the Ampeel survived.

While that didn't immediately stop the pursuit, it did distract the Reaper long enough for me to get away. The unfortunate part is that now I hear Reaper roars in the Safe Shallows... which aren't very safe anymore. On the plus side, I should have access to torpedo weapons that might be able to kill it, as gas pods and titanium are very farmable. Also it's nowhere near my base, which was on the opposite side of the map from the wreck.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: October 12, 2021, 07:11:28 pm »

Beat all three major bosses in Get In the Car Loser, Devil Clock on ... didn't get TPK'd on a boss even once.

Is that the DLC? I haven't played because I only heard it was on Steam, and didn't bother looking elsewhere until now.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: October 12, 2021, 11:56:32 pm »

Is that the DLC? I haven't played because I only heard it was on Steam, and didn't bother looking elsewhere until now.

No, Devil's Clock is basically a hard-mode you can turn on in the base game. You can get the base game on itch.io for free. The DLC is $10 and I own it but haven't played yet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: October 15, 2021, 07:20:59 pm »

Was able to kill a Ghost Leviathan Juvenile. Those have more health than a Reaper Leviathan. Used a combination of nearly 2 batteries' worth of stasis rifle shots and 400 knife slashes.

I wasn't able to kill a Reaper; the one I did engage with torpedoes fled after a single salvo and I lost track of it. At least that sea lane is clear. As is a good chunk of the Lost River, including access to the lower.

EDIT: Did kill the Reaper Leviathan that had started swimming too close to "safe" waters. Unfortunately couldn't get a screenshot, since I needed my Seamoth's lights to illuminate it, and it was parked 150m away. The corpse had despawned by the time I got back.

Torpedoes were... ineffective. They kept exploding against the previous torpedo's gas clouds.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:19:16 am by Akura »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: October 23, 2021, 08:39:45 am »

Finally won a playthrough of World of Horror, even if it was on Sceptic. That mode enables me to just stab the shit out of everything.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: October 23, 2021, 10:49:06 am »

As we know, not believing in the supernatural gives you the ability to simply stab away all the horror.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: October 23, 2021, 06:02:08 pm »

Got violently reacquainted with Duriel after some 10 years or so since the last time I played Diablo 2.

After dying several times and making considerable use of the corpse retrieval function, I tried wandering off and doing some countess/andy runs for XP. Got another level, tried to see if Holy Freeze could slow him down enough for me to live. This of course did nothing (I was never particularly knowledgeable in D2).

More grinding, not least of which being due to Resurrected remaking the world every time you run your online character, so I had to slog my way through an unknown tomb each time.

Read somewhere that while thawing potions don't prevent or fix Duriel's freeze aura, they *are* useful because a lot of his damage is cold-based. I had no idea. Got another level, put a point in Resist Frost, got ready... And ended up going toe-to-toe with the big boy for a terrifyingly long time, continually gulping down that sweet scarlet drank while slowly chipping away at him with my defensive weapon set. Eventually, it actually worked! A bit anticlimactic, but I was more than ready to be done with that place... So I made sure to run around stomping on all the juicy little maggots out of spite before hopping on the boat to Kurast.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: October 24, 2021, 03:45:00 am »

As we know, not believing in the supernatural gives you the ability to simply stab away all the horror.
Seeing as the final boss is

I guess it makes sense that foul murder and skepticism is effective.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: October 24, 2021, 05:51:51 pm »

game : Hellpoint

Finally defeated my first cosmic horror "Ozyormy Goija, the Master of Puppets"  , that guy just killed my characters several dozen of times (my fault for always forgetting a healing injection or missing my dodge key or not dodging at the correct time, i blame old age :D ) until i finally googled around to see if there was a way for me to damage that huge mobile thing faster than i did (if i could kill it faster it could work around my bad dodging attempts).

Noticed people mentionning the induction module (that adds some kind of fire effect to your strike) should be very good against that boss.
I took the most damaging fast (because that boss move fast around, my slow but strong Espadon wasn't cutting it there) melee weapon i had, and one that had attack animation i find usefull (the Thespian Hook) and switched its Strength module (strength weapon have a good damage boost from reflex module, and vice versa) as the good high damage it did wasn't enough to damage the boss fast enough) to the Induction one.

Boosted the induction a bit (to +5 ) after grinding more axiom .

And wow, what a difference it did, the boss was on fire most of the time (and so losing health even when i wasn't attacking), that allowed me to kill it before i did too many mistakes. 

So happy to get rid of that dancing huge horror. Will have to try to forge that Ozy gauntlet with that piece looted from him.
Now 2 more to go
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 708