Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275382 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10230 on: March 02, 2022, 12:15:21 am »

How fast can you make the play in the PC version of D1? I remember in the DS version, you could skip all the animations, so once you got used to it, you could get through an Item World level in like 10-15  seconds.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: March 02, 2022, 12:24:55 am »

The PC version (like the original PS2 version) still lets you skip the Special Attack animations, but geo-chains still take a long time.  Speeding those up may have been a D2 thing.

But yes, an average Item World level usually only takes 10-15 seconds.  Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer as the main walks over and kills the guardian so the runner can reach the exit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: March 05, 2022, 09:21:47 am »

Finally managed to wrap up one of my ongoing dominions 5 games, managed to win on turn 66. Playing as MA R'lyeh sharing a pond with Ys... They were sorta dumb enough to not attack me super early, and so by the time they did attack me I was ready and overran them fairly quickly. By the time I finished eating Ys Ulm had grown gigantic, eating 2 of the other players and was throwing up globals (and spamming lightless lanterns no doubt) with 5 of the 9 players dead at this point the remaining 3 non ulm nations (me, Asphodel, and Scelaria) teamed up on ulm and brought him down. My god was a super greedy high astral high nature high death void lurker which was pretty dangerous to take vs Ys but really paid off in the Ulm war, squishing multiple ulm armies by itself, eventually forcing him to pull back to his forts. Ulms capital defense was absolutely rock hard and our offense stalled out as no one wanted to commit to an actual fight vs it, which left the other players floundering, but I focused my eyes on the remaining thrones and snapped them up, Ulm actually took a throne from Scelaria which was just enough to push me to exactly the number of throne points needed to win when I took it from him and my understanding is the war was so draining and focus grabbing that the other players didn't realize I was going to win until it was too late, asphodel noticed 2 turns before the end of the game, but it was way too late for him.

The game sorta cemented my opinion that water nations are basically a broken mechanic in dominions. I was far far too comfortable and unbeatable in my water lair once I had killed Ys. Which sorta marred the victory a bit. Still, always feels good to win a game against competent opponents. (And Ulm and Asphodel at least were competent and most of the other players seemed fine but are hard to really judge. Some of the other players though really shouldn't have been in the game since it was advertised as not for beginners, but they got winnowed out pretty quickly, mostly by Ulm.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 09:29:49 am by Criptfeind »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: March 05, 2022, 01:53:36 pm »

Killed 5 people in TF2.

In a row.

As Pyroshark.

With an ambush.

In 2Fort.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: March 07, 2022, 02:05:31 pm »

More Disgaea 1 madness:  I acquired the Hyperdrive!

This involves (in this PC release) going through all 100 levels of a max-rank item's world and defeating its Item God 2, without ever leaving the item to save!

You might think that this is a grueling test of endurance where you must fill your inventory with 15 restorative items (and finally the max-rank item).  You'll need to build a highly optimized team with a healer, a mage for range and AoE, a tank, and a brawler for shifting enemies a-la Into The Breach.

Nah one reasonably-ground character is plenty, especially armed with the epitome of swords (which mysteriously grants a massive 5 tiles of ranged attack and a ton of defense).  It helps to have a second character with three accelerators in their teeth (don't ask, they don't explain) to sprint through the item realms.

So why was this a challenge?
BECAUSE each level is so easy.  Item running in Disgaea 1 is extremely easy and formulaic.  The only real break from the monotony is an invincible geo-symbol protecting an exit-guardian, and even that just means an extra 30 seconds or so to throw the symbol or use a brawler to nudge the guardian.  It's the sort of thing you do while watching a TV show, or even a movie.

And therein lies the trap.
Every 10 levels there's a miniboss, but they're optional.  They might not even be on screen from your start.  So you move your Divine Majinn or Thief-With-3-Accelerators to the exit, and reflexively start tapping the button to skip past whatever dialogs-
"Do you want to return to the Overlord's Castle?" [Defaults to yes]

Twice I got to level 80-90 before accidentally returning to the castle because I was too engrossed in a podcast or show.  Mostly it happened much earlier.  Very frustrating.

Regardless, I did it.  Considering I'm playing around with perfected ultimate weapons, I'm pretty sure even Prinny Baal isn't a threat to me anymore.  I could probably even finish the main story if I chose~  This was, I'm almost certain, the most difficult Steam-achievement of the game.

Like... I'm a fan of hypnosis stuff sometimes, but it all feels a little bit silly until you press a button you've been taught to press and realize "that wasn't something I chose to do".  it's kinda cool Scary, it's scary.

Disgaea 1 PC
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Congrats.  I actually fell asleep playing Disgaea 2's Item world on the Playstation (PS2 I think).  More than once, actually.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: March 07, 2022, 03:48:02 pm »

Oh for sure.  I have a stupid number of "hours" in the game but at least half are from it helping me fall asleep, like a bedtime book.  I still hate that Steam tracks that stuff and broadcasts it to my contact list, but I got over it.  I run video games while I do other stuff and that's fine.  And if Steam insists on considering me "active" when it knows I'm idle, that's not my concern.

I'm done with Disgaea for a bit, but next time I'll probably go back to 2.  It has a lot of solid improvements over 1, along with new content.  I've also "won" 5 but it has *too* much, maybe, sometimes.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: March 09, 2022, 03:37:39 am »

I won 3 straight days of tournaments in Praven. I've tried to make my guy very balanced in terms of weapon skills, so he can do well regardless of what kingdom he does tourneys in, so I'm not even that specialized in polearms.

But I have had so much practice with manipulating enemy lancers while on horseback. If there's multiple competing teams, I take out their horses first, so they're still busy helplessly stabbing each other while I take aim and couch my lance.

If it's against 1 person, I always use manual lance stab to take out their horse. It's boring and repetitive, but damn does it work.

Mount and Blade Warband.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: March 11, 2022, 04:51:02 am »

Nice!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: March 12, 2022, 04:06:06 am »

Killed 5 people in TF2.

In a row.

As Pyroshark.

With an ambush.

In 2Fort.
lmao nice
as a gimmick, pyroshark > spy
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: March 12, 2022, 03:52:07 pm »

The plan to get everyone to level 20 before promoting them was a massive success. Kane(spelled "Cain" during the battle, because translation) went down only being able to get one attack out(his Sword of Darkness effect; it missed). Mishaela, whom I've long considered to be the hardest boss in the game, didn't even get a turn to attack - she didn't even get a turn of regeneration. In all my prior playthroughs, that fight was a desperate race to out-damage her regeneration whilst she constantly dumps Bolt 2 on my entire army with her infinite MP.

Bleu the dragon, one of the characters I used to abandon right away, is currently flying around the battlefield murdering most enemies in 1-2 hits, and usually taking scratch damage in return. Because of the way the game calculates experience gain, promoted characters are still considered low level even if their stats aren't, so Bleu especially is still gaining levels and massive stat gains.

The only characters I haven't done this for are the two I still have left to recruit. And those two are actually going to be a little hard since one's a mage and the other is a healer.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: March 12, 2022, 08:34:54 pm »

Oh... yeah, most of the SF games have something like Bleu, iirc, that your initial impression is probably going to be "Eeehhh", and then particularly once they promote they're an unholy murder machine that can solo wipe like half an end game map. Forget which ones are in which game, though... want to say for two(?) it's the birdonfire and turtle, but it's been over a decade since I played through the things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: March 27, 2022, 06:20:03 pm »

Was trading shots with another tank, lost my radio operator/machine gunner - not sure which, it's the guy in the front-right seat of a PZ.III, the voiceover says "radio operator/gunner" - and tried to back into cover. Notably, the Pz.III backs up slowly. Then an enemy bomber, quite possibly salty that I had just bombed their tank moments before, buries one in the sand a few feet away from me. I pushed it into forward, and barely avoided any damage from the bomb as well as getting shot by an enemy tank. The enemy flew over shooting at some teammates, and as they made another pass, I blew the plane in half with my main gun.

We lost the match, but as the match exited I finished off the tank I had been trading shots with.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: March 27, 2022, 06:54:49 pm »

WT is a game that could be SO MUCH FUN, and yet they insist on making it SO INCREDIBLY TERRIBLE. It's a tragedy.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: April 16, 2022, 11:56:54 pm »

Hyperbolic geometry fundamentally impossible to understand or navigate any significant distance of could only constrain me for so long; finally after just fifty hours and 7 years the Orb of Yendor was mine.

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: April 21, 2022, 05:26:55 pm »

Torin the Chosen and Jaer the Wind Mage were hunting down the last bastion of Sharee, a chaotic wizard who had, for no clear reason, cast Doomsday:
Each turn 4-20 map squares are withered as per the spell Corruption. The caster's cities and surrounding areas are not affected of course. All enemy cities suffer +5 unrest. Cities exceeding their maximal population will shrink at an additional -200 people/turn
This disrupted my idyllic Life-enchanted demesne!  So I summoned forth the Chosen One to literally save the world, fulfill the prophecy etc.  This was my only serious war of the whole run.  I was fine hunting spellbooks and leaving the nodes for lesser wizards to fight over, but they disturbed my ant farm...

She eventually reemerged on a remarkable little island in the cold north.  3x3 with a volcano in the center, her craggy outpost, and three ruins.  Very strange.  I still wonder if one of the ruins was formed midgame, by a failed colony getting overrun - in this case, with sorcery creatures (nagas?).  Whatever the history it now was home to 7 very territorial storm giants.

Banishing Sharee went fine (the worlds are saved, woo!) but of course I had to do the post-game content.  One ruin only had earth elementals, simple brutes which were a joke at this point to the high-level Torin.  The sorcery and undead ones were more interesting.  The undead ruin had 5 vampires and 4 wraiths.  Both are extremely resilient in melee, stealing life.  Torin probably would have been fine, but the vampires had me worried with their special blood-drain.

There's a thing in DND about undead creatures:  They often have extremely poor constitution saves.  This is usually fine because they're immune to poison and "death" effects, being dead.  It can be exploited through a very few spells like disintegrate.  Or in this game: being banished by Life-magic.  Jaer spoke one Holy Word and the undead were no more.

"They all failed their save??  It's a save at -20%, and their saves ranged from 40% to 60%!"
It's at -50% for undead specifically, and I cast Black Prayer first to lower their resistance.  yes, as a Life wizard, this version doesn't prevent Life and Death books from coexisting anymore.

The storm giants may have been watching this, because they used their first turn advantage in classic style:  Gank the mage!!!  Now, Jaer was almost max-level at this point, and buffed by many wards, but I forgot to include elemental armor or resist elements.  It took the full might of their thunderbolts but they did, indeed, gank the mage. 

Annoying, but fair.

What's not fair:  Torin cast Raise Dead to force Jaer back in his body.  Maybe just for one turn: no hit points to speak of, and immune to further healing or raising.  Jaer did however get a turn, and also his custom earrings of reduced Spell Save.  In other word - Holy Word!

...I dunno, I thought the weird island of epic-level encounters was a nice bonus for ending the insane chaos-wizard :P
I don't mess with heroes much in this version, but Life magic certainly helps.  It also keeps the interesting mundane units useful in the endgame, such as a retinue of paladins.  It's pretty sweet having them charge a Great Drake brought to earth by a web spell - and winning!

She/they
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 708