Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275412 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10245 on: April 22, 2022, 07:57:13 pm »

Took the first, and only available quest from the Hunters' Guild, from an amateur sandworm rancher who wanted me to euthanize his livestock(reason: turns out you can't ranch sandworms).

Not long into the battle(it's just one battle against one worm) I realize that this might have been a bit over my level. I can't really keep up with healing, and normal attack do little damage. I end up burning through most of my skills, and it eventually comes down to Alys, who is at single digit hitpoints and only has her physical attack left. It does 2 points of damage - and possibly only that because she's dual-wielding... and kills it. And scores around 25 thousand experience points for herself, gaining many levels.

Then I reload the save, because everyone needs that experience. One thing I dislike, that's especially prevalent in older games like this but I hate in general, is that your various skills and abilities don't come with a description of what they do. Or for that matter, a name that hints at what they do. One of these, I discover(through trial and error), is a tech called "Saner", which a full-party speed boost. This turns the battle around completely, and I'm able to kill the sandworm without anybody going down. About 5000 experience to all, giving a few levels to everyone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Honestly, the list of changes I've seen for that have put me off on buying that, among other things.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: April 23, 2022, 05:17:45 pm »

I've just finished a Forgotten run in Isaac, and believe me, I'm so damn happy of what I've achieved. I've managed to beat Blue Baby, Mega Satan and Delirium, AND unlocked Huge Growth in one fell swoop. I was the biggest skeleton known to man, with the biggest bone around ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Dodging Delirium's projectiles was impossible, but I managed to not get hit too much through sheer willpower. The boner is a pretty fun character after all.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: April 28, 2022, 06:45:38 pm »

I found the wand of 'never die'

I feel dirty with it.

Spoiler: pic (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10248 on: April 29, 2022, 12:40:03 am »

Finally unlocked ascension 1 with the Watcher, using a stance changing build with many empty fists, empty bodies, rushdown, mental fortress, and tantrum playing major roles, with a little bit of deva form thrown in because I was lucky enough not to go up against the bloody Time Eater as the third boss.

To illustrate how long this has taken, I got the 5th and final content unlock for the Watcher after this run ended.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: May 01, 2022, 08:46:34 am »

Decided to try out the latest update with a Conquest run. Update looks good. According to my stats, I haven't played since October 2020, which feels... wrong. I could have sworn I've played it more recently. One notable change relevant to this post, is during Conquest, you have to buy new battalions instead of just spawning for free.

Some... questionable decisions in the research branch left me with my only equipment unlocked being tanks, ammo/medic bags, and night vision goggles. The enemy launched a major counteroffensive on Day 1 - Night, attacking Coast, which I had taken with no resistance. 3 battalion each. And my equipment list? Tanks can't spawn on Coast, and while it was a night battle, Coast has a lighthouse which has a very bright light that passes over the map which makes NVGs less helpful. The other side had APCs, which *do* spawn on Coast, and I had no anti-tank.

Surprisingly, this didn't help them much. By the time my first battalion was depleted, they had nearly lost their second. I had managed to disable one APC by throwing grenades under it while standing next to an ammo drop, but it took over a dozen. The rest of their forces were burned out from having fewer points captured and poor positioning.

Apparently, this setback broke them, as my continued offensive met very little resistance. The heaviest fighting was Archipelago(last map before their headquarters), where I attacked with 3 battalions against 2 defending, lost one taking it. I'm guessing they ran completely out of money by then, because they had one battalion left, which they suicided trying to retake Archipelago. They didn't buy any more, which left their Citadel completely undefended, and I took without it a fight.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: May 05, 2022, 01:39:30 pm »

Playing the admiral of an early Republic of China starting from 1900, entering the Second Sino-Japanese War after a short victorious campaign against Russia that saw the Czar toppled by Mensheviks and Chinese control cemented over Port Arthur, Manchuria, and Sakhalin.  The IJN decided to launch a naval invasion of the Liandong Peninsula at night in 1908 as part of the Second Sino-Japanese War, rather than leveraging their naval superiority (9:6 advantage in battleships).  The result was a complete coordination nightmare: the first encounter the Republican Chinese Navy had with them was when their line of battle accidentally steamed right through the Japanese troop transports in the middle of the night.  The result was an absolute disaster for Japan: their entire fleet of transports was shattered in an instant.  Rather than giving up, they pursued with their entire battleship line.  The Chinese lost the Gansu (Chongqing class, 12300 tons, 4x12" main battery, 7.5" belt) to uncontrolled fires, while the Japanese lost the Hatsuse (13900 tonnes, 4x10" battery, 8.5" belt armor) in the exchange.  The Chinese then withdrew for harbor, their mission complete with the invasion was foiled. 

The Japanese then followed on by separating their battleship line.  Taking advantage, the Chinese fell upon a detached force of three of their Yashimas and two Tokiwa class cruisers with four battleships of their own: three Anhui class (14000 ton, 4x12" main battery, 8" belt) and the Chongqing.  With encounter in the Changshan islands, the Japanese force tried to break south only to be pinned against the Shandong peninsula and shot to pieces by constant cannon fire.  The Chinese in turn lost one battleship to a lucky torpedo: the Chongqing eventually was forced to abandon ship after several hours of trying to seal the breach and drain water.  Those little battleships were good in 1890s, I'm sure, but I'm building 12000 ton raider CAs now; they just don't have the survivability to last in 1908.

Unfortunately, it looks like the game went squirrelly while trying to process a peace and force-quit after the second battle before it saved.  A shame; that kind of 3-1 exchange in battleship hulls would have been very good for me, but it looks like the game has rolled a cruiser engagement instead reprocessing the turn.

EDIT:
The second attempt at a Japanese invasion of the Liaodong peninsula came August 26, 1908.  The Japanese this time arrived in Chinese waters late afternoon with 8 BBs, 4 CAs 1 CL, 6 DDs, and 7 TRs.  Opposing them was the Chinese navy with only 4 BBs, 1 CA, 2 CLs, and 11 DDs.  Remembering last time, the Chinese kept the range open until night, fending off the first abortive attempt at a forced landing with minimal losses, then took up night patrol off the coast with their full force anticipating a second midnight run.  The result: a second night engagement where the Japanese and Chinese battle lines ended up thoroughly entangled, even though they were a bit smarter about their limited transports this time.  This time, taking out their landing force involved detaching my only CA and a DD squadron, then sending them off separately to handle the enemy while my battleships kept twice their number busy. 

The result was a complete success: one enemy B torpedoed, one B heavily damaged, one CA sinking due to overdose of 12" HE rounds, and a second invasion force at the bottom of the Yellow Sea.  The remaining six Japanese Bs only lightly damaged.  Of the Chinese ships, three of the four were lightly damaged, one (Guangxi) was torpedoed entering port but survived. The CA Yang-wei was definitely the star of the encounter, at one point fending off three enemy CAs at the same time (armed with 2 10" guns, 14 6" casemates, and 10 3" for lighter enemies) with its 4 9" main guns and 16 5" casemates as it made its final run for Dalian well into the next day.

As a result of redirecting our goals northward, we shifted to aiming for naval support for an invasion of Korea starting in December 1908.  To this end, the Chinese took the offensive with three battleships (the modern Beijing at 14200 tons and the older Chongqing and Guangdong) on anti-convoy operations: who would expect to see a full-body rush with battleships against convoys?  They ran into three Japanese battleships running convoy defense: two modern, state-of-the-art Mikasa class (15000 tons with 4 11-inchers apiece) and the older Iki, another Shikishima class.  The convoy was ripped to pieces, Iki sank to progressive flooding outside Busan, while Mikasa and Sagami ran away with their tails between their legs.

By March 1909, the army and navy were both prepared to embark on an operation in southern Korea, bypassing the North.  Apparently, the army decided the timing and location by throwing darts, because they decided our landing would be near Yeonggwang with an arrival time eight hours before local dawn.  The order of battle for this operation was six Chinese battleships (Beijing, Hong Kong, the repaired Chongqing, Guandong, Guangxi, and Anhui), two CAs (Ching-yuen and Yang-wei), 2 CLs, and 10 DDs.  Opposed to this was theoretically 5 IJN battlewagons (including both Mikasa and Sagami) and assorted lighter ships, but as it turned out, they never were able to contest the landing: the most that happened was that the CA Nisshin took a couple potshots at one of our destroyers and in turn was smacked by Anhui, Ching-yuen, and Yang-wei, which sent it scarpering back into the dark.  A quiet operation is a good operation, but it still would have been nice if the IJN had been willing to show themselves while we briefly outnumbered them for once.  The IJA wasn't much more organized either; they had only just moved into Korea (which started the war), and Korean resistance combined with Chinese regulars meant Korea fell to China within a single month.

The results of these three campaigns:
Shikishima (Shikishima class B, 11800 tons, 4x12" main armament, 7" belt): Torpedoed and sunk off the coast of Liaodong
Iki (Shikishima class B): Heavy damage under constant volleys from enemy fire, sank outside Pusan
Kasuga (Tokiwa class CA): Crippled and sank after learning the hard way that an armored cruiser's belt armor does not stand up to the concentrated weight of fire from four battleships.

Guangxi (Anhui class B): Took a torpedo while entering port in Dalian. Survived and quickly repaired
Chongqing (Chongqing class B): Still ate a torpedo, this time from a destroyer that blasted past out of the dark while rounding southern Korea the night after the engagement with Mikasa, Sagami, and Iki, but it survived in this time.
Wuchuan (Yuzhou class DD): The only Chinese loss of the Second Battle of Dalian, this poor 600-tonner was plugged by a 6" HE round from the Azuma, was unable to control the flooding, and sank.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 05:47:21 pm by Culise »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: May 06, 2022, 04:31:57 pm »

I'm glad to see all the love going into Rule the Waves 2, but we really need some pictures of the ships.  :D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: May 08, 2022, 08:47:25 am »

I feel a small amount of accomplishment by rebinding the helicopter controls so that pitch/turn is controlled by the mouse and roll is controlled by A/D(originally, roll was mouse, turn was A/D). Also inverted pitch.

Now I can actually fly the damn helicopter. And rain missiles down on potentially dozens of enemies. I mean, I still die quickly, because the average lifespan of a helicopter is still far shorter than that of an infantryman. But I can still kill a few of them before going down. Even once or twice managed a second pass, which required learning how to turn(it was harder than it should have been).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: May 10, 2022, 12:02:11 pm »

Jesse finally kicked the source of the Hiss sorry bottom out of what is now her Bureau, victory for the side that is not hollowed out by a resonance-based paranatural entity.
Happy fun time like whe she worked as the janitor assistant of a Finnish mythological hero.

Did all the side quests and optional bosses and really enjoyed all the lore, dimensions and astral planes that were around The Oldest House.

game : Control
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 12:03:49 pm by Robsoie »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: May 16, 2022, 12:05:32 am »

Playing as the Thief on Elimination Round (all enemies have upgraded abilities and 10% more health).

Thief is less disadvantaged by this scenario, since he randomly steals one ability from your enemy each round, in effect giving you an upgraded ability from the start of the run (although, admittedly, one which might not actually work for your build on any given turn).

Strong run, managed to build major momentum by combining a crowbar+ (reduce all timers by your die roll) and multiple timer abilities, including, most importantly for this story, Dodge.

Make my way to the boss, and it turns out that it's Scathach. Her 'thing' is that she only rolls a single die, but the effects of the die are Bad News™ - especially when they're upgraded.... except if you're dodging every turn, which totally negates the first source of damage each turn.

So I'm stealing her crazy attacks, while avoiding nearly 100% of what she can dish out - it's a nice change to be the hard counter, instead of getting hit with it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: May 16, 2022, 02:08:33 pm »

Sailed to an island intending to fight the raid boss.

See a Sloop getting blasted by gun towers while anchored off shore.

Sail around the island and see ANOTHER ship, this one a brig.

I try some arrrrpee and get on the mega phone saying we're looking to fight the boss of the island.

The Brigantine doesn't respond and starts sailing off.

So we land and talk to the guys from the sloop fighting the boss. They're afraid we're going to gank them and steal the fight. We say no, don't even ally up, and just help beat the raid boss. We grab a couple pieces of loot for our troubles and leave.

As we're casting off we see the Brig come back and start lighting up the sloop.

Part of our crew felt we should intervene, but none of us felt like playing police of the high seas, so we sail away.

A couple minutes later we start a quest, which takes us BACK to that island.

We pull up and see the same Brigantine at the island still, humping the loot they stole from that boat over to theirs. Mind you, this was 10, 15 minutes probably after we left the island.

We debate internally on the boat...and decide these guys need to get lit up.

So we swing in behind their boat and unload about 12 cannon shot into the rear of it. Boat goes down in flames in less than a minute.

Meanwhile, they're sitting on the island taking pot shots at us with their pistols and rifles like that's going to do ANYTHING to help them, while keeping up a constant stream of "Man fuck you guys, you guys fuckin suck, blah blah blah...."

Finally I get on voice chat. "Cry me a fucking river matey, this is piracy!"

They continue to whine over voice chat for another minute until another crewmate of mine gets on the island puts them out of their misery.

Now, I'm not much for wrecking people in PvP for its own sake, but the irony of a crew that just robbed another crew NOW GETTING robbed is hilarious in this game. Matey, do you even know what game you're playing?

NGL though, it was nice to not be on the receiving end of this for once.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:14:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: May 17, 2022, 09:55:52 am »

Finally managed to complete Prey, what a fantastic immersive game it was, can't believe it's not more talked about as a true masterpiece (out of the weak , fortunately short time between the prologue end and when you finally start to improve your character and its loadout).
The ending i got was satisfying too.

And the final twist after the end credits (good idea to not skip them) was a very nice touch, especially as this twist include your choices and decisions through the game (and of course which kind of ending you choose to pursue) giving you the feeling that what you choose to do really mattered in some way. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:00:12 am by Robsoie »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: May 21, 2022, 02:25:21 am »

I'd conquered most of the world map, solved a significant portion of the flower level (and alphabet zone), including the secret rock and water levels... And, of course, got the main world's orb.

...but there was one early, "simple" level that just would not grok. I'd spent days staring at this thing, softly yelling at the screen in frustration and incomprehension.

And then, finally... I got it. The last obstacle standing in the way of the "complete world map" achievement. I did it. Huz-freaking-zah

...now it's just the secret, actually difficult levels left :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: May 21, 2022, 04:27:31 pm »

Started promoting some people at level 25. Watched Jaha the Baron one-shot a skeleton, an enemy which, a few minutes prior, had been giving me trouble. Kazin the Sorceror's new spells are awesome both in damage and visuals. Also promoted Slade from Thief to Ninja, which lets him use swords. Seeing a guy who used to use knives flip around an anime sword* is hilarious.

Started a new game after purchasing up from the demo. A few dives in, I replaced my mass driver with a microwave emitter. Filled my ship almost to full, or at least, so full that I couldn't close the bay door because the ore chunks were jamming it open. That was a profitable run, and I didn't even sell everything.

EDIT: Achieved a perfect salvage(>=95%, 100% is generally impossible) on an Atlas-class cargo ship. Despite accidentally causing an atmosphere blowout(a few lights were knocked loose, that's all). And full salvaging every part of all the Quasar thrusters, which I've been seeing a lot of posts about how hard they are(or buggy, but I haven't seen that). It's actually fairly easy; before you cut the fuel connectors, tether the thruster towards the back wall, cut the fuel lines, cancel the tether as the thruster flies out, and rush to the shutoff switch. The massive casing is best tethered forward using the jacks - you may need to remove other hull panels to get them clear.

The ship was worth $14 million. I only caused $39,000 in damage, and it took four shifts, which was about $2 million in fees. Not a bad dent in the debt.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 08:14:08 pm by Akura »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: June 03, 2022, 07:13:32 pm »

I slayed the spire with The Defect using what I will call a Storm build, in which I had four Storm cards (every time you use a power card (which Storm is) channel 1 lightning), a relic that healed me for 2HP for every power card used, two or three upgraded White Noise cards (draw a random power card, it costs 0 to use this turn) various power cards I picked up in rewards, another relic that allowed me to draw a card from three random cards every turn if I wanted, which was invariably ignored if there wasn’t a power card involved. I also had a couple of boss relics for extra energy.

I had the runic dome which didn’t allow me to see the enemy intention, so when I had the final final boss down to 2HP, I got a bit worried with me having around 45HP left, but it buffed itself so it was cool.

Still have no idea how to really use The Watcher, which is sad ‘cause the other three characters are alright.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 708