Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1274513 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10335 on: September 16, 2022, 12:58:46 pm »

My uncle, who is my rival, and also a monk, threatened to burn an artifact unless I let him have it.

I dueled him for it; which involved him throwing dirt in my face, so I threw a pouch of gold in his face, and eventually defeated him for the artifact.

I gave him the artifact, Aged Cheddar, which an ancestor got from a woman claiming to be a Viking cheese maker.

The Aged Cheddar now gives -0.1 prestige per month, but a small health bonus. Apparently it also grants stress relief depending on how long it’s aged.

I think I plan on stealing it from him at some point.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...I swear Crusader Kings II was/is less dumb/crazy/hilarious.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: September 16, 2022, 02:01:53 pm »

Sounds like something a secret bear would say, neigh? I mean, no?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: September 16, 2022, 02:18:37 pm »

AT Least my Chancellor never disagrees with me... :P

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: September 18, 2022, 01:23:22 am »

In old Miskahmur, I saw the boss behind a door locked by a lever. When I would pull the lever, the door would unlock but a bunch of sharpened fans would start spinning between the lever and the door, requiring one to run quickly before they activate.

I turned on the fans and opened the door and shot the boss, also named Miskahmur. He ran straight at me, into the fans, which cut him up.
I then reset the trap and this time ran through it as it was activating.

Unfortunately, the trap seems to have thrown his body out of bounds, as I could not find it when I deactivated the trap one last time and looked for it.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: September 18, 2022, 02:21:20 pm »

Got attacked by Malekith and another army right after I'd taken one of their cities. My one army of daemons, about 40% ranged and the rest melee, versus two full stack of Dark Elves at about 50% mid to high tier ranged.

Held the town center instead of trying to defend the whole city. Malekith and the two wizards did a ton of damage to my forces with their spells because my whole army was crammed into such a tight space. But I held back their forces by constantly shuffling forces around, and prudent use of magic, artillery and defensive tower fire to wipe out by groups of their ranged troops who, like me, had to cram into tight spaces to make the shots the terrain would allow them. Even though it's only normal difficulty I won without getting any units wiped out, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: September 19, 2022, 06:21:28 pm »

Got pretty much the golden ending for everyone, except maybe Ullan, but what happened to him was probably for the best for everyone else. Also failed to get a romance, but apparently that's actually pretty hard without knowing the exact dialog options.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: September 20, 2022, 04:37:31 pm »

Managed to "win" my first Frostpunk game, with the scenario "A New Home"

Spoiler: the city started well (click to show/hide)
Managed to get high Hope and very low Discontent
Out of the Londonner problem that i was happy to defeat with focusing on the Faith path, the cold was getting stronger and stronger, and my bad planned management started to hit me hard in the usual Frostpunk spiral of doom :
People getting more sick - > less people to actively work -> buildings become less efficient -> ressources getting then harder to come -> coal become a problem -> more people getting sick.

But to counter this death spiral i decided to change course, and instead going to a normal faith, i decided to pursue an insane fanatic path to solve the problem of Hope by turning it into complete Devotion (forcing people to worship my character, regularly executing "enemy of the faith" to lower discontent gauge :D ) i managed to survive (barely as i had several very close calls with discontent reaching nearly the max) long enough to reach the day the temperature got back to viable.

The cost was very high

And the temperature went worse and worse, going to -150°C !
In then end, on the 46th day it was a victory, the city endured with 15 survivors (i wonder how they did because at -150°C without the heat generator working for several days due to lack of worker and coal...) , led by their insane captain.

Still a nice game, but marred by those damned small fonts that can go from completely garbled on lower resolution to unreadably small on higher res.
And to add insult to this annoyance, after all the years of the people reporting how annoying of a problem this was the devs finally added a font scaling option to ... the xbox version.
Yeah, a way for those devs to say frack you PC users i guess, but they didn't missed the opportunity to update Frostpunk on PC some time ago so you could have ads for Frostpunk 2 on the main menu, yeah. 
I guess i know then what game i will not buy.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: September 22, 2022, 01:21:15 am »

After the last success, I decided to take a more relaxed path forward as while I've done Kerbalism and I've done RSS orbits with 1950s engines, I haven't done RO into the 1960s before.  I put a monkey into a stable orbit in October 1961, which was not only the first living complex creature China put into orbit, but also the first living complex creature China put into space at all.  The mission plan was for the upper stage on the lifter to circularize at 500 km and then detach.  The return module and service module would orbit for a day, monitoring for radiation and vitals to verify the effects of space on living beings.  It would then orient using four onboard RCS thrusters using nitrous oxide, deorbit with a single retrograde burn from six redundant light SRBs (four or five being the minimum required), eject the service module, splash down in the South China Sea, and be safely recovered.  Nice and easy, no?

This was where things became a mite bit tricky.  On sending the signal for a deorbit burn over central Africa, everything in the staging monitor went orange and then red: all six SRBs showed an immediate performance loss, with five of the six exploding seconds later.  This left the service module was presumably damaged (thankfully the damage was not modeled and the module was not needed for reentry) and the return capsule tumbling from the uneven thrust of five explosions and a single off-center crippled retrorocket.  After service ejection, the return module was now on track for a perigee at just below the Karman line at 92km.  Fortunately, the return module was designed in theory so that it would passively reorient so its heat shield faced the incoming atmosphere under pressure.  Unfortunately, the mission plan meant it had less than six hours of battery power left; enough for the originally-planned return or mission adjustments as needed, but not enough for repeated aerobraking maneuvers.  As such, I reactivated the RCS and began on-off burns to get the craft under control, burning against the spin only when oriented to lower the craft's perigee further.  With the remaining nitrous oxide left on board, I lowered perigee to around 60k, which proved to be just enough for a safe splash-down but left the craft pointed nose and parachute-first into the atmosphere.  The passive design here fortunately worked as planned - when the capsule hit the atmosphere, it flipped back to put the heat shield between the incoming heat of reentry and the by-now thoroughly discombobulated, very awake, and very panicked monkey before the heat became too great for the initially-exposed components to survive.  With no further issues, the capsule safely splashed down and was quickly recovered. 

As for how off-course the incident ended up being, the original mission plan called for a splashdown in the South China Sea, and the follow-up mission to this one (same craft design, same mission profile, no unexpected highly-exothermic events) accomplished this even better than I had expected by splashing down literally just off the south coast of Hainan and less than 30 km from the launchpad, which may be somewhat decent when using single-ignition unthrottleable SRBs as retrorockets.  This mission, however, ended up a bit over 300 km southwest of Baker Island in the central Pacific.  This unexpected extra distance presumably made the retrieval even more interesting on top of the usual shenanigans entailed by opening a sealed capsule containing a very shocked and very upset primate. 

Still, any landing you can walk (or swim) away from...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 01:31:40 am by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: September 29, 2022, 04:56:20 am »

Started a new character/new world. Almost immediately to the left of my start point, I find two Living Trees, inside of which I find, among other goodies, a Finch Staff. Little birdy absolutely murders slimes and zombies, thus relegating the main, minor danger of the very early game to the barely noticeable annoyance they are during the rest of the game right from the start.

Also found enough lead in the first few chests to make an anvil and broadsword, which crafted with the Unpleasant modifier, so now I'm rocking far more damage than I probably should at this stage of the game.

EDIT: Found an Enchanted Sword in what is mostly a straight shot from a surface cave entrance to close to Hell, at least to the depth I've dropped to with a minimum of extra digging. It's the real sword, the one used for the Zenith. This worldgen has been great.

EDIT2: Different game. Discovered that the trick from the original game where enemies can't see you if they can't see your face still works in the mod. For example, while holding an object that obscures your face. Basically held a biohazard container about the size of a mayo jar up to my face, walked up to a machine gun nest, then double-tapped the trooper manning it in the face with my pistol.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 08:01:23 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: October 01, 2022, 11:56:24 am »

I am, finally, getting good at making my own builds. The ships I've been designing are actually doing some good work against the autofits.

Starsector
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: October 01, 2022, 12:30:54 pm »

Purified the entire galaxy of life.  Just the purity of the rock golems and some random crystal floating around

Also, wow, can I just say how easy it was to snowball?  The real challange was managing the worlds I took; I eventually just stopped trying to hold new ones.

Stellaris
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: October 03, 2022, 07:28:02 am »

While my actual goal was to unlock tainted Maggie, I've decided to finish the run properly and go for The Beast. Dogma was simple; it didn't even use its spin attack, instead it blasted with its beams that I can dodge with ease. I gave it some ol' triple lazers.
The harbringers went down quickly as well, though War landed a few hits on me with its bombs. I got sloppy, that's it. The Beast herself was a bit of a problem, because I had an item that slows down projectiles, and when she sucked up flames, I trapped myself and couldn't avoid damage. Fortunately I was tanky as balls, as Maggie should be. The Beast beaten, tainted Maggie unlocked, the winner is me!

I did it for you, Jesus! Or maybe against you? At this point I have no idea.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: October 06, 2022, 08:01:12 pm »

Survived one of the most uncomfortable moments in the game: the underside of the rail bridge of Highway 17. In VR. That's running across the narrow strips of broken support beams, while dealing with headcrabs and Combine shooting at me, to disable a barrier, then running back while fighting off a gunship. In VR. I don't do very well with heights in VR.

Managed to do it without dying once. Killed the gunship as well. And got the Targeted Advertising achievement, despite failing to actually pin the trooper to the billboard(he smacked into it, then fell off).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: October 20, 2022, 03:23:14 pm »

Went back to this game after so long, with the intent of finishing it before the new ones come out, and in fact just beat the Champion.

One of my MVPs was Alcremie, who took down both Leon's Dragapult and Haxorus, though I had to revive her to deal with the latter(Haxorus ripped most of my team a new one). Even when she was still a Milcery, I noticed a particular quirk with her: her main attacking move, Draining Kiss, seemed to be far more effective against female opponents than male. On one hand, statistically speaking the only explanation is coincidence rather than any specific thing. On the other, it's part of why I evolved her into the Rainbow Swirl/Strawberry form.

This made the battle against Opal very... interesting, seeing as her ace Pokemon is also an Alcremie that uses Draining Kiss as her main attack. As a result, that battle was the two of them kissing until Opal's finally collapsed, exhausted but, hopefully, satisfied. A scene that becomes a lot funnier when you remember that in this game, gym battles take place in a packed stadium, as well as televised across the region, meaning everyone in Galar watched the baking of the yuri-cake.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: October 29, 2022, 07:42:19 am »

I was lost to another I's glory.

An almost-fantastic run, which nearly got cocked up in the last moments thanks to some truly horrible luck+timing in the ol' Fascination department. Ended up delving into forbidden magicks to deal with that, but the stain on my soul is worth not having to re-do the several days of work in that run up to that point.

First time attempting this flavor of run, and was very pleasantly surprised at the end to discover that I actually had the specific non-quest items just lying around when doing the rite.

Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 708