Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1274925 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10380 on: December 20, 2022, 05:17:00 pm »

Those nurses would be out of a job if they didn’t have fainted Pokemon to heal.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: December 23, 2022, 10:19:29 pm »

Beat Dyson Sphere Program in 9:22, which gave me the beat the game achievement (6.4% of people), beat it under 25 hours (0.7%) and beat it under 10 hours (0.6%).

It uh... took ages to manage (50+ hours probably) thanks to prep time and me failing on my first attempt but I finally got it done with over half a hour to spare (with most of the last 40 minutes being me just flying around in space waiting for things to finish up).

Spoiler: Aw yeah (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:21:49 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: December 23, 2022, 11:36:42 pm »

Impressive! Like with Factorio, I really want to like Dyson Sphere Program but tend to get overwhelmed by the sheer everything there is to do. I'm pretty sure I'm at least six hours into my current file and haven't even left the starting planet yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: December 29, 2022, 11:59:08 am »

I feel like I'm getting the hang of Encased (an isometric fallout-like rpg).

I got to Junktown, met some people, and saw that the sheriff has perhaps not the best stuff (small-town sheriff), but does have a lot of it. My 'former' criminal character had some plans for that, but the sheriff likes to patrol inside and outside his office (patrols seem to be semi-random, making theft more challenging), making it tough to rob him. I took my character (and the 2 following me, which makes this more difficult, perhaps criminal play-throughs should be loners) to the edge of his building, and pickpocketed him when he got to the furthest point away from the building, then snuck inside.

He figured out he'd been robbed, which massively increases his awareness of what's around him and his search area, but it also keeps him from following his normal patrol. By the time he quit looking for the thief, I'd emptied out his office, including his home in the basement. Got some nice equipment, which helps when you've got followers.

I'm also coming up on level 12 with 2 saved-up perk points. I'm thinking increased luck for me and my followers (more lucky finds when looking through stuff, and more crits), +12 to my crit chance (adds an additional 12% chance to crit, ~doubling my current chance), and one that lowers an enemy's hp and damage resistance stat when they get critted.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: December 29, 2022, 08:15:39 pm »

The enemy started using their latest flavor of bullshit: massive fighter swarms. My mostly outdated fleets can handle a few dozen, but they were using hundreds at a time. Worse, they had guns that outranged my defense lasers. They didn't outrange main guns, just the lasers, but the main guns have low accuracy against fighters. In fact, their fighters' guns were the same technology as my main guns, just fighter-sized.

My first attempt at repelling them was a dismal disappointing failure that cost me several worlds and many more ships(and a save-scum to undo it). Largely because what I tried were IR lasers, which have massive range, but poor fire rate. And I only put two of those on a single ship; they may as well not have had any. Probably could have used missiles, except the enemy fighters did have missile traps.

Second attempt was simply fighters of my own. Fighters with superior engines, shields, and a pair of IR lasers which aren't as bad on fighters. I was able to put three corvette-sized carriers, carrying 10 fighters each, into battle against two enemy carriers with about 200 fighters total over one of my planets that was under siege. Long story short, in part due to really bad unit AI programming, I was whittled down to 4 fighters against 30 enemy fighters. Using hit-and-run tactics, eventually destroying all of them, and suiciding the rest of my fighters against the carriers. The post-battle screen showed they still had several more fighters they didn't deploy for some reason, but enough damage was done that two of my older frigates could mop up.

With the way clear, I was able to reinforce my troops, and when the enemy attacked again, it was one crippled* carrier and its fighter compliment against 200 of my superior fighters that I brought in via freighter(you have to "disassemble" them to ship, then assemble at their destination). All enemy forces destroyed in seconds, no losses. Booyah.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: December 29, 2022, 10:53:41 pm »

Impressive! Like with Factorio, I really want to like Dyson Sphere Program but tend to get overwhelmed by the sheer everything there is to do. I'm pretty sure I'm at least six hours into my current file and haven't even left the starting planet yet.
I feel the need to stress how not normal that time is for me. Being 6 hours in and still on the starting planet is completely fine, because as you say, there is just a shit load to do and figuring out what/how to do it takes hours and hours and hours

My run was also very much not speedrunning kosher, and was done in segments of me spending like 45 minutes putting all the shit together in a copied world, then putting it down the exact same way in the first world in like 5-10 minutes (posssibly cheating using blueprints), then copying the world again and doing the exact same thing.
I did this 21(!) times by the end of the game.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to make a area at the start that makes every early-mid building and generic building material. Seriously, it saves so so much time and mental effort being able to just walk over and grab literally whatever you need.
---
But yeah, I eventually just give up as well. Typically this is around as far as I get in DPS and I haven't gotten much past beating the game in factorio.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: January 02, 2023, 10:14:18 pm »

I seem to have actually gotten better at Brigador. I got stuck near the end of the campaign due to "too many enemies with too large guns" syndrome. After that I switched over to the freelance mode as a relaxing way to blow shit up. But I went back to try some campaign missions and managed to beat "Come Finest Surgeon" as well as a few of the hardsuit missions!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: January 03, 2023, 11:14:43 am »

Oh, yeah, the F-series missions are

Kinda brutally difficult. You’re going to have to rely a lot on picking off foes, avoiding alarms, etc.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: January 04, 2023, 05:37:08 am »

I'm really not sure how you're supposed to clear anything with that sledger loadout, but the blue tauro sweetheart works fairly well. Feels like I can clear things pretty dang well with the big laser and EMP grenades, it's just the mission is so brutally long that I wind up tripping up at some point.

So many explosive tuk-tuks. o.o
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: January 04, 2023, 02:52:41 pm »

Paired up the Ocean spirit with the Whirlwind spirit, it was a really powerful combo, though ocean had a really slow start.

Whirlwind specializes in control via pushes, and gets a ton of them for free just for existing.  Ocean essentially turns pushes into damage, anything pushed into the water is destroyed and feeds Ocean more energy.  Also Whirlwind's support power boosts range, which helps Ocean hit deeper inland if needed.

The control was so strong there were several turns the invaders couldn't do jack, as the lands they were supposed to hit were totally unoccupied.  Lucky event card deleted two cities and solved one of the harder lands for me.  Late game was just generating fear and trying to get a major power to clear the last inland stronghold, only to destroy all towns doing so, getting the win.

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: January 08, 2023, 07:07:06 am »

In DF Adventure Mode, built an adventurer that's finally strong enough to kill a Titan who spewed webs. I had to make an elephantman vampire with ultra high stats from wrestlegrinding, and even that was barely enough.

But, it's the first time I've ever been able to beat one of these things without resorting to cheese tactics like throwing from several Z-levels higher with a flying Animal Man adventurer.

And because of how strong my adventurer is, I didn't need to use any weapons to kill it. Simple scratches and bleeding internal organs were enough to make it die of bloodloss.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: January 08, 2023, 08:25:43 am »

Guided another Auto Company into the 2020s!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: January 08, 2023, 12:33:19 pm »

Paired up the Ocean spirit with the Whirlwind spirit, it was a really powerful combo, though ocean had a really slow start.

Whirlwind specializes in control via pushes, and gets a ton of them for free just for existing.  Ocean essentially turns pushes into damage, anything pushed into the water is destroyed and feeds Ocean more energy.  Also Whirlwind's support power boosts range, which helps Ocean hit deeper inland if needed.

The control was so strong there were several turns the invaders couldn't do jack, as the lands they were supposed to hit were totally unoccupied.  Lucky event card deleted two cities and solved one of the harder lands for me.  Late game was just generating fear and trying to get a major power to clear the last inland stronghold, only to destroy all towns doing so, getting the win.

Nice. I love the game, but you kind of need to learn how each character plays by playing through once first, before you can figure out what goes together well.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: January 08, 2023, 04:16:37 pm »

It did take like 3 games to understand exactly how Ocean's... "digestion" worked.  It's supposed to scale by player count, but you can use it whenever for however much energy you need.  Ocean is probably one of my favorites due to how fun it is to see how many invader corpses I can fit onto their spirit board.

That particular game was the first time playing Whirlwind.

Generally I understand it enough to win consistently, I've played other complex board games, plus it probably helped thar my friend initially described it being a lot like the video game Into the Breach which isn't wrong.  I have struggled with Sharp Fangs and Rising Heat, maybe Fangs just needs the event deck in play.

I did try Bringer of Dreams yesterday, along with Teeth as a damage dealer.  Bringer's gimmick is that as a dream entity they don't do physical damage, it's converted to fear and pushes.  Though I got the one major power that actually can damage, it teleports natives somewhere and backs them with defense.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: January 09, 2023, 11:21:10 am »

Probably doesn't count since it's an idler.

Took a couple days on the first run: took Fairies as the tutorial pushes you to(it's free the first round, other races are not), got to around 500 quadrillion coins per second, plus a bonus of around 70 quintillion every minute and a half or so from a combination of Fairy Chanting(500x from your three basic buildings for 10 seconds, Fairies specialize in boosting their general output), Tax Collection(immediate 30 seconds of income at current rate), then furiously clicking for the remainder of Chanting's duration. It took a while just to get enough mana storage for that combo, as the Fairies only ways to improve magic really suck. Eventually decided the run was done when I had 100k gems banked and abdicated. Each gem provides a 2% bonus to income, and the next bit of content is unlocked at 1 billion.

Next run, took Angels, and because of the 100k gems, got roughly back to where I was... in about 15 minutes. Angels specialize in magic. Enough that I'm autocasting Call to Arms(increase all buildings' production based on total number of buildings for 20 seconds) and God's Hand(all buildings gain (120*mana regen rate) for 30 seconds), and still gaining mana. Then, when my mana gets full(takes about 6 minutes), I fire Holy Light which increases clicking gain by 1750% for 15 seconds and seems to affect passive gain(possibly due to assistants acting as auto-clickers, and which Angels have a lack of). Then I set Tax Collection to auto-cast, which as an instant spell, fires all of them. At once. Over 200 times. That's nearly 2 hours of (boosted) income.

Granted, I seem to have hit another plateau now, but I've also accrued over 8 million more gems to regain upon abdication. So I guess I'm playing it right.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 708