Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1272610 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #7545 on: May 20, 2017, 07:39:33 am »

"Jags"

"Zuikaku"

"Duke Nukem"

"Tommy Wiseau"

You have good taste in mods.

My own own:

Ethereals seem to go down as easily as the other enemies: taking only one or two rounds of plasma.

Also, I developed the flying suit, which should help keep my troops alive a little longer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: May 21, 2017, 04:09:58 pm »

Actual own:

Was attacked by 9 looters while I was all by myself.

Previous confrontations of this type have usually resulted in a humiliating defeat, but I was actually able to kill all 9 of my assailants through the extremely complicated tactic of "Shoot at them on horseback with a crossbow while circling them counter-clockwise".

I even gained a level and 4 renown for my trouble.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: May 21, 2017, 04:29:18 pm »

...Looters can kill people?

I mean, I've seen them kill farmers if they outnumber the farmers enough, but that's about it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: May 21, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »

One vs many can be difficult in M&B for newer players/depending on the situation/if turned off the player having more health.  Its not that hard to miss one block and then panic.

Also if you aren't mounted (say if its a siege and you're the last survivor on your side, or if you just don't want to be a cavalry dude).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: May 21, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »

I mean, I've seen them kill farmers if they outnumber the farmers enough, but that's about it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: May 21, 2017, 04:54:10 pm »

I was going to get on you guys for exaggerating, but looters actually are less skilled than farmers (20 weapon proficiency vs 60!).  They do have slightly better equipment... slightly.

They do look a lot like bandits, though, who are very dangerous.  Especially forest bandits, ugh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: May 21, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »

One vs many can be difficult in M&B for newer players/depending on the situation/if turned off the player having more health.  Its not that hard to miss one block and then panic.

Also if you aren't mounted (say if its a siege and you're the last survivor on your side, or if you just don't want to be a cavalry dude).
Don't you always start mounted, though?

Also I have a hard time believing that looters can ever pose a threat to a castle, unless it's completely unmanned and the gates are stuck open.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: May 21, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »

We were almost taking the point, but the NVA were stopping us just short, I grew impatient and rushed the warehouse, charging up some stairs. Apparently the guy at the top of the stairs wasn't actually expecting us to get up there yet, because it took him a few seconds to react, and I killed him. I then took his AK, and killed three more guys waiting to ambush my teammates.

When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: May 21, 2017, 10:00:09 pm »

Hence "humiliating".

Also, beginning of the game at only 2 levels, with the (kind of crappy) starter gear. Which does include a (kind of crappy, though I feel bad applying that label to an animal rather than a thing) horse.

But yeah, humiliating defeats against the wandering bandits. Or just previous cavalry-based tactics in general.

EDIT: Yeah also I wanted to not be a cavalry unit so I could fight alongside my army, but that didn't work out in the past.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: May 21, 2017, 10:42:03 pm »

Sometimes, when I start a new game, I'll make easy money and experience by playing hit-and-run with looters by myself. Since none of them are mounted and their strongest ranged weapon is rocks, you can cheese a fight with them by riding past and hitting them until they're all dead.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: May 21, 2017, 11:35:17 pm »

Hilariously, yes. This was obviously the first battle but newbie-me didn't know, and as an avid lover of BOWS AND OTHERWISE I kept riding on that horse, up that hill, shooting people with no idea how to use the archery system, and then subsequently getting PUNCHED to x_x because nearly naked people or very badly equipped people outnumber me.
Because riding your horse up a hill, and then going 'wait where is the enemy @_@', and then noticing tiny whitish specks in the distance moving downwards (then zooming in), you realize they're really tiny people. Then you try shooting at them while stopped on horseback (because you're new, and this actually matters compared to being on foot--it is less steady on horseback even when stopped unless you skill up that horseback archery skill). Then they come closer and closer on the hill as you keep missing because that scattering degree as a newbie archer with a poacher background that gives you ++ to archery isn't working well, then you dismount to try and fight them in melee because you didn't do well in the tutorial.

Then you get punched in the face, and your dying scream isn't the worst thing you hear, it is your own embarrassment in realizing what just happened in that last minute or so.

But now? LOOK AT ME, scoring difficulty 13 shots on horseback and ruining lords with my bow \o/ I should even get a pic later on. Especially of that one bandit sarranid that was fleeing and I took a chance to look all fancy and draw an arrow, take aim, think 'This'll never happen' but doubting it in hopes of glorious imagery in mind, and shooting. The next few seconds are spent with a smug expression. Then I find myself :D when it actually hits, and the score displays in the lower right.
I like how it becomes a nice way of familiarity while you go on with it--and personally, the 'non masterwork' war bows are seemingly better due to their handling. (And that you can even trade shots with another mounted archer while charging at each other near-parallel and opposite each other; one catches the arrow, one doesn't. Great feelings if you're the one who doesn't.)

And yes, you always start mounted. But on foot, unless you've a good athletics skill, you can't outrun them (If you only have a bow, prepare to panic as you realize you can't outrun them and switch to melee, and/or discover that they interrupt your shots if you dare try shoot at melee range :P )
*ahem*
Um, not that I'd know much from personal experience anyway ._.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:44:55 pm by Tiruin »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: May 22, 2017, 12:57:15 am »

Well, if you start as a Nord, you don't start mounted I believe. They have no cavalry by default; while you can train your own riding skill and purchase one, i don't think you'll start with one.

Swadia and Rhodok are probably the easiest starts, Nord, Khergit and Sarranid the hardest. This is because:

Rhodoks have easily defensible terrain, well suited to bows and crossbows.
Swadia has generally flat terrain, but their bandits hang around forests and are generally easy to fight.

Nord: They have the rather strong Sea Raiders as their local bandits. Nasty for an early game player, they hit VERY VERY hard.
Khergit: you like bandits? now have bandits on horses with high Horse Archery. If you're light on cavalry, you're screwed.
Sarranid: Desert bandits seem to clump in rather large numbers. Also, the terrain is flat.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: May 22, 2017, 05:58:04 am »

From what little I remember of M&B, Rhodok castles are ridiculously defensible.  In some of the setups the walls are a giant one way circle with no inner crenelations; once you get on the walls its a shooting gallery for the Rhodok troops.  And those guys are already arguably the best in the game at siege warfare.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: May 22, 2017, 06:16:07 am »

Edit: Confused Vaegirs with Swadia. Tawa's post down there is more detailed by memory.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:15:09 am by Tiruin »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: May 22, 2017, 08:28:32 am »

Reinforced the bottom hull, increased engine power, finally made torpedoes able to track and home in on targets(no need to perfectly line up), added non-custom cannons to the sides, added two repair bots, and figured out shields a bit. Also learned how to spawn combative ships into the designer, so I can battle-test easily.

It can actually beat other, similarly-sized ships in a straight-up fight. Even larger ones if I can knock out their weapons quickly enough. Any real battleship will wreck it in a second though, or anything with a gun that punches through to the ammo compartment(going through metal, wood, alloy beams). The only thing I haven't tested is effectiveness vs aircraft - it has an AA cannon, a CRAM loaded with frag pellets/proximity fuse load and a laser targeter(supposedly helps with flak guns).

Still needs some calibration, but it's a gunboat now.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 708