Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1274996 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #7965 on: August 30, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »

Nope. Guns do better damage (albeit at a shorter range). My walls always have guns nowadays, with fancy circuit limited sparse belts running in a recirculating loop and fed by a (small) dedicated factory.
Guns have better damage true, but that's ignoring the fact that medium and bigger biters have significant armor against physical (read: Gun) damage.
Without any upgrades gun turrets deal 5 damage, and medium biters have 4 physical armor, meaning that they deal a single damage per attack, giving the spitters more then long enough to kill your turrets while they are tied up attacking them for like 5 seconds each at a single damage per attack.
Yes, its true that this is offset by damage upgrades or by using better ammo, but not only do even larger biters have better armor and using piercing ammo costs 3 times as much.

Plus, they use up permanent resources to defend your base. It is true that its a small amount for each wave, but it is still a significant amount over time.
That said, the energy costs (which presuming you use solar panels is the same as initial investment) and initial investment are indeed *way* lower then laser turrets, so its up to you what you want to use.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7966 on: August 31, 2017, 12:15:37 am »

Sounds a lot like the Verdugo fight in RE4.
You're supposed to run from that? I always shoved a tank of liquid nitrogen down its throat and went to town on it.
He's an optional boss, yes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: August 31, 2017, 12:30:09 am »

Wasn't much of an "own", more so of a "tactical use of self sacrifice" that in the end was an own. Was playing Soraka, went slightly tankier than usual due to the enemy jinx getting fed off... Someone  :-[ stepping too far forward twice in the early game. All we had left was my sivir and I, the rest of my team had died as we 2v4'd the rest of jinx's team and she 1v3'd us. Sweepered to clear vision, we weren't under any wards. The jinx came running towards where we were. I said in the chat "wait" and q'd the jinx, then flashed onto her and E'd us both. In the moment she stopped to auto me twice my Sivir only got out her Q and an auto. I was dead. So was, for the first time, Jinx. Sivir alone made it through the inhib turret, inhib, nexus turrets, and nexus, just deleting the enemy as they came. And of course, Sivir got all the honor...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: August 31, 2017, 05:54:20 am »

Nope. Guns do better damage (albeit at a shorter range). My walls always have guns nowadays, with fancy circuit limited sparse belts running in a recirculating loop and fed by a (small) dedicated factory.
Guns have better damage true, but that's ignoring the fact that medium and bigger biters have significant armor against physical (read: Gun) damage.
Without any upgrades gun turrets deal 5 damage, and medium biters have 4 physical armor, meaning that they deal a single damage per attack, giving the spitters more then long enough to kill your turrets while they are tied up attacking them for like 5 seconds each at a single damage per attack.
Yes, its true that this is offset by damage upgrades or by using better ammo, but not only do even larger biters have better armor and using piercing ammo costs 3 times as much.

Plus, they use up permanent resources to defend your base. It is true that its a small amount for each wave, but it is still a significant amount over time.
That said, the energy costs (which presuming you use solar panels is the same as initial investment) and initial investment are indeed *way* lower then laser turrets, so its up to you what you want to use.
10 damage you mean right? 5 base +100% due to turret innate bonus.
10 for normal rounds, 16 for piercing rounds and 48 for DU rounds.
So an unupgraded turret with normal rounds needs to fire 8 times to kill a medium biter.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: August 31, 2017, 09:28:30 pm »

10 damage you mean right? 5 base +100% due to turret innate bonus.
10 for normal rounds, 16 for piercing rounds and 48 for DU rounds.
So an unupgraded turret with normal rounds needs to fire 8 times to kill a medium biter.
Huh. The wiki says that gun turrets deal double damage per bullet compared to a regular weapon, but it also says that they deal 5 damage per bullet unupgraded (as it says that fully upgraded they deal 4 times as much damage, 19).

I think the reason for that is that they don't have the 100% turret bonus anymore, instead they have a bullet turret damage upgrade which is separate (and stacks with) the regular bullet upgrade. As of playing last week, gun turrets fully unupgraded only deal 5 damage per attack.

Even if they did 10 damage it would take more then 8 to kill a medium biter. Medium biters have 4/10% physical armor, which means they reduce the attack damage by 4 then by 10%. So if the attack would deal 10 damage, it would first become 6, then be reduced to 5.4 damage. That means that you would require 14 attacks to kill a medium biter.

However, as gun turrets unupgraded only actually deal 5 damage that means that each attack deals (5-4)*.9=0.9 damage per attack, which requires you to land 84 attacks to kill them. I can indeed confirm this is is the case, because as I was playing last week and without any damage upgrades my gun turrets were dealing 1 damage per attack against medium biters (so they each required like 5 seconds to kill), and killing everything else in the wave after they were dead in like 3 seconds flat.
Note that a mere 2 upgrades in both bullet and turret damage turns 5->7.2, which effectively triples the damage that medium biters take (up to 2.88 from 0.9), making it much less of an issue.

Now, I do need to say that gun turrets aren't truly obsolete as long as you make sure to keep up with their upgrades and use AP (or depleted uranium) ammo. In fact due to how they have two stacking upgrades, fully upgraded (and using at least AP ammo) they deal more damage then laser turrets even to behemoth biters.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:42 pm »

You're supposed to run from that? I always shoved a tank of liquid nitrogen down its throat and went to town on it.
Pretty sure you have to run at first. The first liquid nitrogen tank is in one of the side rooms, and unless you're using the rocket launcher or a magnum I think you need multiple tanks to actually kill the thing.

It's been a long time since I played RE4, since it never really worked that well for me though I did beat it twice. But... You could skip that boss?

I always froze him and then hit him with the free RPG you got. I always assumed that's what it was for.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: September 01, 2017, 04:06:13 pm »

Pretty sure you have to run at first. The first liquid nitrogen tank is in one of the side rooms, and unless you're using the rocket launcher or a magnum I think you need multiple tanks to actually kill the thing.

It's been a long time since I played RE4, since it never really worked that well for me though I did beat it twice. But... You could skip that boss?

I always froze him and then hit him with the free RPG you got. I always assumed that's what it was for.

I always saved that RPG for Ramon "MEESTER KENNADEEEeeee" Salazar. I don't actually know what his whole fight is like because he got rocketed the first time I got a chance to hit him.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: September 01, 2017, 06:17:55 pm »

*sigh* Reinstalled. Not too bad for a session. 20/24 K/D against decent players. At least I'm less than 100 kills away from auraxing(1160 total kills) my T5 AMC.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Last night, I was getting frustrated with the VR Advanced Helicopter: Crash Landing - Autorotation course. Basically, your engine shuts off, and you have to land(not crash) from at least 50m up and 100km/h forward speed. Every time, I can't slow down enough to land, except when I'm still to high up for it to matter.

This morning, I've barely woken up, and manage to clear it and the next one(rotor fails, you have to land while spinning out) in one go. I'm apparently a better helicopter pilot when I'm not really awake.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:20:35 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: September 07, 2017, 09:08:48 am »

I guess I have to put this back up front, with this:

Cuts into a few layers of metal armor, and nothing short of 4m metal beams can survive the top-layer hit. The ship has enough engine power to fully recharge from zero in about 10 seconds, and even getting to zero from a full charge takes a while of continuous fire. Actually, it only uses 1/4th of the total engine power(about 100k), if I had more laser pumps, it'd charge even faster. One shot on one of the SS-Excalibur's smaller turrets hit the outer edge of the armor, punching through it, and making something about 10 blocks behind it explode.

I think using a continuous beam could create a greater damage potential, as it has 544 damage-per-shot(40 per second) and 88.2AP(minimum ~130/shot at zero power). The OW-Bastion was cut in half in seconds. The SS-Excalibur took far longer, as lasers aren't meant to take out big ships outright and one of the Excal's main things is several clusters of sensor-triggered smoke generators under the hull, and waverfront adjusters are garbage. Once those were gone, the laser quickly melted into the main turret housing, causing a huge explosion when the ammo loaders were hit. After that, the engine was quickly holed - the engine is pretty much in the center of the ship.

Oh, and I was planning on using all that destructive power for point-defense lasers.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7974 on: September 07, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »

Midrange/aggro Hunter at low ranks is sometimes a little like taking an assault rifle into a nerf war. I wasn't running the deck tracker, but I'm pretty sure my winrate was well over 80%.

Hearthstone.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: September 08, 2017, 02:19:00 am »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: September 08, 2017, 02:29:23 am »

You keep doing the thing where you don't add the game name :P

King of Dragon Pass

I love being a Peace clan (~'u')~
And I doubly love that a game like this, made around more than a decade ago (18 years .-. just 5 years after I was born...) has quite the lovingly told story, with equality in context [a game which gets the connections right, with detail in minor bits corrected to the chosen protagonist], and that I get the choice to do a lot of things within bounds of reason.
I've exhausted grabbing all those Treasures, and grown my clan so well that all new clans either split from me, or come from outside (90% of new clans split from me though -_-, the option of 'choosing the best' automatically initiates them into the tribe, with an alliance to boot, so that's great), and I'm now either working my way into being the QUEEN/KING of Dragon Pass because the difficulty is in the making and waiting by peacefully uniting the everyone with divine tribal chiefs, strengthened by lore and hero-questing into Reknowned/Heroic stat levels.

Also ducks are my best allies. Yay duck-fighters and slayers of the undead! \o/
Always wanted a game where I could relate more to, as most games are decidedly European or American where I see it, and seeing something synonymous to one that depicts tribal values and other characteristics (given my background in the C.A. region...), it's also something that got me stuck into playing for quite some time. Thanks to the person who gifted me this. :3 Yeah Emma, read this.

The difficulty lies in freedom though, and in knowing the quantity of values to help yourself. Early game--RESOLVE ALL FEUDS with other clans, starting at ~20 goods minimum on the arrival screen, with 0 being brought upon sending the trader, depending on how grumpy you attacked them (and never the other way around--they can hit you as much as you want, and regardless of how many victories you score that way, can achieve peace. I mean you can also start as a War clan and pulverize them until they send delegates for peace, but I'm too much immersed into the cultural characteristics to be mean. :P

I do love how the dwarves are pretty much the MOST lenient, as in you'll have to honestly be intentionally malevolent to get them to kill you, as a total aside and totally not for the steam achievement >_> I regretted it anyway, long before it happened. But on the note of receiving achievements on steam because of getting your clan killed off--it's all easier on hard mode.
<_<
And it's that long-run which makes this game really fun. A lot of flexibility.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:34:15 am by Tiruin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: September 08, 2017, 08:12:59 am »

Pretty sure that image is from My Summer Car.  A friend got really into it for a while, I couldn't handle it :P
No idea how Blaze got all those "provisions", but good luck moving them without losing an axle or something!

That's cool that you can be nice in King of Dragon Pass!  I enjoyed GrimithR's LP of it.  Looks cool, but the amount of choice almost seems overwhelming.  Which is a compliment, really.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: September 08, 2017, 09:43:44 am »

Successfully Initiated a goblin swordsman into the fine art of Kisat Nur cave in strike. He was presumably a bit shocked when an unskilled human grabbed at him then jump kicked him fifteen feet across the clearing.

Dwarf fortress
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: September 08, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »

Spoiler: Finally did it! (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 708