Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1272335 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #8490 on: April 01, 2018, 07:51:53 pm »

After countless deaths trying to find Seath the Scaleless, and with only 2 estus flasks at the start of the fight, I managed to slay Seath on my first try.

I barely survived an attack with 3 hp remaining, and no estus. My Red Tearstone ring buffed my Greatsword's damage so that I was dealing 200+ damage a swing. Then I remembered I could two hand it and stabbed him a couple times for 500 damage each. Basically by getting up close and swinging a huge sword I managed to kill him with 3 hp remaining.

Wew.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: April 03, 2018, 01:25:44 am »

Akura this is totally your fault

So I've been poking into World of Warships thanks to Akura posting about stuff, did some stuff to a CV (Aircraft Carrier/Carrier Vessel) up that I went into the 6th tier (Tier VI), and then an operation (scenario mission) occurred that was precisely for that tier. The CV is only to two different countries--America, and Japan--and the Japanese one has 'more strike squadrons' but less planes per squad, while the American one has the opposite. The scenario is best played with Japanese CVs due to being a 'defense themed' mission where our people are assaulted by 5x enemy ships than our team.

I stuck with an American CV, because I followed the 'tech tree' which leads up that line.

This one game had the context of one of my teammates saying 'wow wrong ships everyone', because out of the 2 Battleships, 3 Cruisers, 2 Destroyers, and 1 Aircraft Carrier, the 'right' ships are those configured for fighting multiple enemies. Mine is detailed above--while the rest (as our 'ships' all come from 6 or so different nations), must've been either heavy-hitters or otherwise. Another teammate followed it up with 'let's hope we've got good captains then'.

Now this scenario is something I've failed in 2 times before because of lag :v because Philippine internet is abusive quite horrible because of international prospects and internal ones, but still! I had to both protect my team from enemy aircraft, and focus my aircraft to bomb/torpedo attack incoming AI ships.

To cut the story short, I ended the mission with all objectives BUT ONE completed, 53+ enemy aircraft kills (because strafing is an option only done with the Alt key, at tiers VI+), only a full fighter wing and a broken dive bomber wing alive. Out of 5 objectives (which each represents 1 star in the operation out of 5 stars), the only one we missed is 'kill all enemy ships before the main attack wave'. We apparently fulfilled the objectives: 'defend the perimeter and let no enemy ship cross this line; ensure that NONE OF ANY allied fortresses/moored or repair ships die; destroy the enemy main carrier; at least 3 team ships should survive'.

Noting for posterity that the tier VI American carrier...only has 1 squadron of fighters, torpedo bombers, and dive bombers each, with replacements not even numbering a full squadron for each strike squadron. They have 6 planes per squadron versus the Japanese 4 planes per squadron (yet somehow the fighters and otherwise are all matched to each plane, like if a Japanese fighter squad vs an American squad fight--it all purely depends on who gets the first kill [other than AA fire in the surroundings and other factors]); in comparison, a Japanese Carrier can field multiple squadrons at the same tier at the moment. So this backs the comment above. :P

Our team was very relieved at the end. (Mainly I blame our destroyer captain because he was awesome with torpedo volleys). Because we scored 4/5 stars, I gained a Japanese Captain with 10 skill points in them. This is a super award! :3 Also got a mod from the forum that makes every captain female, alongside getting female professional voiceovers for literally everything in-game and it is amazing and awesome.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: April 03, 2018, 03:12:01 am »

There's a youtuber that does really good World of Warships videos, The Mighty Jingles.  IIRC he's a vet of the UK navy and knows a lot about ships; he quotes the gun calibers of specific ships at times and I suspect he would know with or without the game.  Also an all round cool guy if you're interested in his videos.

Anyway he did a multiplayer commentary of a viewer submitted battleship replay.  Video is going along about as normal and then suddenly the player involved just dies.  No warning, no visible shots, from almost full health.  Turns out there's one Japanese carrier that has a ludicrous dive bomber wing*.  The viewer was in a battleship that was a tier down from the fight, the player with the aircraft carrier was a tier up.  Battleships always did have large hulls... pretty much every bomb hit him.  Instant annihilation.

That being said I don't remember Jingles viewing the Japanese carrier line as particularly OP.  I think the American line was better at fighters and at keeping enemy vehicles spotted for an extended period of time (since their planes are more expendable they can afford to linger in AA for a while).  One of Jingle's replays had an unlucky American CV player kitted out with 2 fighter wings and a bomber wing lose the bomber wing early, then spend the rest of the game following around enemy destroyers with pathetic AA.  The destroyers separated themselves from the cruisers to go do their torpedo thing; so they had no counter and whenever they dropped smoke the fighters could just see over it.  Ended up getting at least one destroyer killed and his team won.

*either it's the same as the planes from the next tier up, or it contains 9 planes.  Or both.  Forget the specifics but with upgrades its ridiculous basically
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8493 on: April 03, 2018, 06:14:50 am »

I fought the Alkari and Klackons in quick succession, defeated both handily. Right before I coup de grace the final Klackons border world, Antarans attack Kholdan, which I invaded and conquered. I rush build/buy a missile defense base and recall my fleet. I went for missiles and missile tech mainly so as soon as the battle started, a WALL of missiles soared towards those space Nazi assholes. I lost the missile base but nothing else.

Master of Orion
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: April 04, 2018, 02:51:31 am »

Managed to take down a cargo ship that happened to be carrying 40 tons of diamonds, the most valuable cargo I've ever found.

While I was scooping up all the canisters, the spehss police arrived and caught me red-handed, with pocketfuls of stolen rocks and the wreckage of a disabled Type 7 Transport nearby. Luckily I was able to scoot out of there just in time with around 400000 credits worth of the diamonds. On the other hand, they also decided that whoever finds me and kills me earns 200000 credits. Oops?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8495 on: April 04, 2018, 02:53:52 am »

Fake your death and get 600000 pure profit!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: April 04, 2018, 12:58:39 pm »

Fake your death and get 600000 pure profit!

You're gonna go far in this place, kid
~Grizzled Space Guy

For reals though my favorite space own was in X3: Terran Conflict, where some guy actually gave me a mission that said "There is a fully-loaded, somewhat damaged modern military missile cruiser at these coordinates in space. Noone but you and me know that it's there. Here are the keys. I will pay you one million credits to please drive it back. Noone will check in on you for 3 hours. I'll wait here.

*checks shipyard*
*ship is worth 30 million*

Ok buddy, I'll get your ship. Be riiiight back.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:01:56 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: April 04, 2018, 06:25:37 pm »

In space, it's not illegal if nobody can hear you do it!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: April 04, 2018, 06:48:17 pm »

Maybe figured out a way for folk to STOP CREATING TITULAR DUCHY TITLES YOU BASTARDS.

Create them myself and give them to the local holy order.

Fun will likely commence in the future, but ah well...

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: April 04, 2018, 08:16:07 pm »

I found another trade ship full of low-temp diamonds. This time I inderdicted it, and before I had a chance to scan his cargo manifest, he warped into another system with no police presence. That turned out to be a fatal mistake when I followed him there, took out his engines and power plant and promptly began siphoning his cargo, this time completely unhindered by coppers. I didn't pack enough limpets to completely fill my holds, but the haul still sold for over 3 million credits.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: April 04, 2018, 08:20:58 pm »

Where are you finding these guys :[  ]
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: April 04, 2018, 08:22:15 pm »

Went up against the Apprentice Necromancer. Dismas proceeded to crit said apprentice three times in a row, culminating in a crit Point-Blank Shot. Combined with blight-stack from my plague doctor, the necromancer went down after only a few turns.

Darkest Dungeon
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: April 04, 2018, 09:17:09 pm »

Where are you finding these guys :[  ]
I read somewhere that trade ships love carrying low-temp diamonds in agricultural systems. As you can (kind of) see from the screenshot I posted, LTDs are obtainable by mining, so look for trade ships that have mining lasers equipped.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: April 05, 2018, 12:38:45 pm »

I created a Titan-class ship. The Cyclops class mk 1 has an offensive power of 3800~ and a defensive power of about 3200~. I fought an Antaran fleet of 6 battleships, 4 cruisers, 6 destroyers, and 10 frigates with a total score of 4000 offensive 6000 defensive for comparison.

No other race in the galaxy, bar Antarans, can even appreciably damage its shield. If I could somehow gather every offensive ship including monsters minus mine and the Antarans, it could almost certainly obliterate that combined fleet singlehandedly.
And I have four, with four more on the way.

Master of Orion.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: April 05, 2018, 01:39:43 pm »

Not my own, but an NPC's, if you treat pirates in the game as NPC.

Basically, my two little carracks (you don't get shiny new techs as Manchu even after westernizing) sent to chase away a pirate Frigate got defeated and fled away, and in the same exact moment, a combined Castillian-Ragusan fleet of 40+ ships (mostly twodeckers, heavy frigates and some transports) initiated combat.

The game must've glitched out, because the fight has so far continued for 3 in-game months, the combined alied fleet dropped to 16 ships, the fleet's rating dropped to yellow, while the single pirate (definitely aptly called 'Hell-spawn') is still in green. It's winning.

SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 708