Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275392 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #8520 on: April 15, 2018, 06:20:21 pm »

Accidental ownage, but ownage nonetheless: I'm new to the game, so I was thinking of practicing by playing an Irish duke and unifying the island nation. 50 years in, I decide to go on a little crusade, again for practice, and get about 40% participation just from sieging holdings. War ends, and, well, I accidentally the entire kingdom of Andalusia. I wanted to be the king of Ireland, but eh, this works too.

Crusader Kings 2
I always have to work so hard for Andalusia. ;_; Then again, I'm usually Asturias.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: April 15, 2018, 06:33:11 pm »

Accidental ownage, but ownage nonetheless: I'm new to the game, so I was thinking of practicing by playing an Irish duke and unifying the island nation. 50 years in, I decide to go on a little crusade, again for practice, and get about 40% participation just from sieging holdings. War ends, and, well, I accidentally the entire kingdom of Andalusia. I wanted to be the king of Ireland, but eh, this works too.

Crusader Kings 2

I think one of the recommended things to play as a first time was one of the Irish dukes actually.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: April 15, 2018, 08:30:54 pm »

Mostly on the 1066 bookmark, mind you. Ireland in the 1066s is a bunch of small counties without any major powers rubbing up against them. Ireland pre-1066 is a Viking's second beach house and thus is quite painful to start out in.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:05 pm »

Well, the 867 start is a pain ‘cause they can raid you, but they can’t in the 769 start, so you get a few decades to get a foothold.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: April 16, 2018, 05:57:13 am »

My best friend and I decided to run Diablo 3's weekly challenge thing (basically, a Nephalem Rift with a fixed seed and someone else's build). Ended up being the 29th fastest duo in the entire Americas. Proof below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Diablo 3, of course.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: April 16, 2018, 11:35:43 am »

Well, the 867 start is a pain ‘cause they can raid you, but they can’t in the 769 start, so you get a few decades to get a foothold.

I did a 769 start and the viking raids actually started about 50 years later. Though they didn't start peaking and get strong until around the 860's.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: April 16, 2018, 01:16:39 pm »

Rapidly overran the Remnant Imperial Seat - 4 or so planets with 30-slot planets except the planet actually called Imperial Seat which has 50(20 on a normal planet is a good planet). The dozen or so defense stations around each planet had me worried a bit. Each is scale-16.0(quite small except early game), but they have technology enough to push them well over a million HP apiece... except they lack shields. A dozen scale-256.0 battleships, with more shields then the outposts have hull HP, arrived. One got separated and decided to dive right at a planet. The BB-LEEEROOY JENKIIINS!!(now I have to try to rename a ship to that) had its shield overwhelmed and was losing health, when the rest of its battlegroup came. Each has a repair tool that together seems to be able to out-repair the damage the Remnants can cause. The whole battle was a complete wash.

The lead-up to this invasion probably counts. Decided early to convert a 5-planet star system into a shipyard system. This is not building shipyards on the planets. This is turning each planet into nothing but spaceports(which gives/takes resources from the empire-wide pool), cargo space, and a little something for defense. One of these worlds has a space station with construction bays(I used the default Drydock blueprint - it works well enough). In addition, there's several cargo ships moving resources throughout the system, preferably funneling them into the shipyard station. Then, I built hundreds of colony ships(within a few minutes) and chucked them throughout the stars. I own about half the galaxy now. The two AI empires are actually begging to sell me their research points, increasing my lead. I'm researching 17th-level techs within 10 seconds.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: April 16, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »

Star Ruler is such a gem of a game... with some fine tuning it would have been maybe the best 4x ever... still kind of mad devs decided to take SR2 in a different direction entirely.

My fondest memory, and definite own was running my experimental shipyard while my battle fleets kept my homewards safe. I was a small power without much territory, so I got to work on some mammoth AI-controlled ships that were basically mobile shipyards. They mined asteroids, had unlimited ammo and fuel, and pumped out a fighter or gunship every second.

Pretty damn good in battle, overwhelming the enemy, even battleships, with pure numbers. I even accidentally left one in some backwater system that ended up generating 3000 (or was it 300?) fighters--much to the enemy patrol's surprise when they warped in unexpectedly.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: April 16, 2018, 03:13:43 pm »

still kind of mad devs decided to take SR2 in a different direction entirely.
What turned me off about SR2 was the card-based diplomacy system. Like, an alien race you've never heard of on the other side of the galaxy has a claim on one of your systems because they have card that says so, and you can't do anything about it.

Back to SR1 though, I've created a scale-1256.0 artillery platform, with a scale-4.0 artillery gun and attached 4.0 targeting system. It's range at current technology(~20) is about 300AU. For reference, the galaxy is about 450-500AU in diameter. I have a system towards the middle of the galaxy solely dedicated to mass-producing these things. This is one of those things where I wonder why I didn't think of that before. If only I could get them to fire on extrasolar targets automatically, this game would be wrapped up in minutes. Granted, the reload time is almost 3 minutes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: April 17, 2018, 09:22:48 pm »

I wanted to try for a large terratech build, at least, larger than my previous ones. This time, I wanted to try a broadside build, since all of my previous techs were frontally oriented.

Spoiler: First build (click to show/hide)

It did everything I wanted it to, but in the end I had to reluctantly give it up as a failure; despite multiple revisions. It was just far too large for the game mechanics to support. Parts would constantly fall off at the slightest of bumps because of its mass; its length meant it was next to impossible to maneuver on hilly terrain, and its firepower was both a curse and a boon. Most enemies would evaporate in a single volley, leaving nothing to salvage.

Spoiler: Second Build (click to show/hide)

The second attempt was much like the first, as I liked the broadsiding truck design. Unfortunately, even after dropping the heavier cannons for the a group of much lighter guns, dropping all frontal armament, and shedding about 33% of the original mass; it was still too heavy. The speed increase from the loss of weight was another double-edged sword. Even the increased turning rate of the lighter guns wasn't able to compensate for the ratio of speed to maneuverability.

Spoiler: Third Build (click to show/hide)

Finally we came to this; a significantly smaller version of the previous designs. It retains about 66% of the previous build's firepower but loses about 75% of the mass. This translates into a significant loss of durability and resource production potential. It's still tough enough to trade shots with far larger enemies; if for some reason I don't want to use its maneuverability to literally run circles around them firing all the time.

More importantly, it's capable of doing wheelies at 100+mph.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: April 18, 2018, 05:35:37 am »

Quote from: Sofia Lamb
I don't hate you, Delta... indeed I care about you as equally as I do all sentient creatures. But I cannot sacrifice a thousand of my children for a single rebellious son.

*proceeds to sacrifice a thousand of her children trying to kill me(which fails)*

Took a few tries, but I also got the Master Protector achievement, which requires you to complete an ADAM collection without taking any damage or the splicers interrupting the Little Sister. Most of the attempts were failed because a single Leadhead Splicer, standing in a doorway, which is partially behind an obstruction, firing sideways, and hitting me with a single bullet while I'm behind cover.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: April 20, 2018, 10:27:51 am »

I beat the last boss in Dead Cells!   :D 

All the other times I couldn't even get him half way, but I think I've got a good strategy for him now.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: April 20, 2018, 01:05:52 pm »

We made 500+ steel bars yesterday in Conan Exiles. There are 3 of us.

Pre-gaming buildings mats hard in preparation for jungle release.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: April 21, 2018, 11:23:12 am »

DOUBLE POST

Anyway in Conan Exiles there are various grades of beast. There is always a base creature and then more powerful variants. For instance, there is the Kudu, a type of especially peaceful antelope that will try to impale you on it's horns for walking on its sand. The Kudu will never cease it's pursuit once it has sighted it's prey. Then there is the Rhinoceros: a fruit-eating, plant browsing, murderous, merciless, aggressive monster. It wants to launch you through the air and trample you to death in an instant. After him comes the White Rhino and Black Rhino which are each stronger, better, and more starved for the flesh of man than the last.

After them comes the Rhino King, who is approximately the size of a Red Dragon, which it is itself larger than my house. He is the unholy template from which all Rhinoceros are forged. This is important for later.

We adventured that day into The Unnamed City, an ancient ruined locus of evil involving human sacrifice, slavery, and other assorted flavors of high black magic. There is an aviary for demons there. Inside this place we found a Green Dragon. They don't breathe fire, but they are larger and angrier than a Red. We tried to wedge him into a crevice for easier slaying, and when he couldn't get through we named him Tubby the Dragon. Tubby immediately squished through his crevice and launched my companion about 60 feet into a sand dune.

We figured Tubby was here first really it was his sand dune anyway and so we tried to politely vacate. We ended up being chased Benny Hill style through the city by 16-ish undead, a bat demon, and Tubby's friend, Fat Tubby (pictured next). Turns out Tubby was really insecure about his fat-ass thighs and chased us to the next area right out of the city. At this point our plan was to lead him into the desert, where we had prepared a large cache of explosives.

He lumbered chubbily over them and we let off, which resulted in Tubby flinching not at all and reprising his people-launching trick while also on fire. At this point we discovered the Rhino King in a nearby Oasis. As a completely herbivorous tropical animal, he had just finished his meal of the last poor bastard who wandered too close (An actual crocodile).

Let them fight.

After a long battle, Tubby utterly destroyed the Rhino King and and launched him clear over the lagoon whereupon we safely gathered it's mats (Including it's head for a mounted trophy) and crowed about what mighty hunters we are. Now he is called Ser Tubby the Green, Lord of the Oasis and Bane of the Rhino King. It's his Oasis now.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:42:02 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: April 23, 2018, 07:57:38 am »

Managed to survive until 7th place. Considering I'm usually dead in less than a minute, that actually means something.

Then again, I basically camped the edge of the safe zone for most of the match doing almost nothing whatsoever, but still.

Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 708