Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1273806 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #8580 on: May 12, 2018, 03:17:05 pm »

Press light attack while moving the stick from neutral to a position. Can't just press attack while moving, so if you're running forwards and need to block something, you need to stop, then press forwards again while pressing attack.
If you do that in the direction of an enemy while they're winding up an attack, Raiden will just kinda hold his sword up and block the attack. That will block 100% of the damage of just about any attack iirc, and when the gekko do their long range charge attack blocking it that way will give you a nice QTE and let you kill it quickly.
If you do that block when the enemy is just about to hit you, though, you'll block the attack and also hit the enemy with a big counter attack. That feels good.
You'll know when the enemy is about to launch a parryable attack when it flashes red. If it flashes yellow, that attack can't be parried so you'll want to dodge.
The dodge move has to be bought in the shop and is called Offensive Defense. You do it by pressing light attack and jump at the same time, and it gives you some iframes I think.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: May 12, 2018, 03:20:45 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: May 12, 2018, 03:33:47 pm »

Where the heck did I get Anderson from??  I feel like I should know, but even some Googling offers nothing.  I think it was from some other video game, not real life.
Press light attack while moving the stick from neutral to a position. Can't just press attack while moving, so if you're running forwards and need to block something, you need to stop, then press forwards again while pressing attack.
Thank you, that's exactly the part I had trouble with and wish they explained better!  I got it, but only as "muscle-memory"...  Like being unsure of the capitalization of an old password until you literally mime typing it.  If that makes sense.
If you do that in the direction of an enemy while they're winding up an attack, Raiden will just kinda hold his sword up and block the attack. That will block 100% of the damage of just about any attack iirc, and when the gekko do their long range charge attack blocking it that way will give you a nice QTE and let you kill it quickly.
If you do that block when the enemy is just about to hit you, though, you'll block the attack and also hit the enemy with a big counter attack. That feels good.
These I learned naturally after Bladewolf just from good timing.  I did "blocks" until I discovered that good timing grants a counter, basically.

And yes.  Yes it did.
You'll know when the enemy is about to launch a parryable attack when it flashes red. If it flashes yellow, that attack can't be parried so you'll want to dodge.
The dodge move has to be bought in the shop and is called Offensive Defense. You do it by pressing light attack and jump at the same time, and it gives you some iframes I think.
The game isn't nearly as difficult as we're making it sound, by the way.  You really can ration your way through the difficult parts, and the plot is oFfThEwAlL.
Metal Gear is always entertainingly absurd - this is the same, except with much shorter cutscenes, and more animu awesomeness.  IMHO.
YMMV, but I love both depending on how I feel.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: May 12, 2018, 03:38:14 pm »

There was a guy in MGS1 named Donald Anderson. Other than that, Iunno.

*continues reeing into the sunset*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: May 12, 2018, 03:43:48 pm »

No, that's absolutely what it was!  I still reread Last Days of Foxhound (webcomic) occasionally.

MGS:R reminds me a whole lot of Furi, really.  Except the timings are better.  Both have "No, I absolutely blocked that!" moments, but MGS:R usually feels more fair.

Anyway, I finally won a game of Stellaris today.  Though that's more an endurance/completionist thing than an achievement.  The game is pretty great (grand even, heh) and the endgame has content.  It was just...  tedious, when I left off.
Doing a fresh playthrough now, so I guess they did something right.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: May 12, 2018, 05:48:02 pm »

Wasn't he SIGINT/the DARPA chief? I could Google it but I'm lazy and also have to jump in on metal gear conversations.

As for something more on topic, I finally hit a called headshot. PPC++ slagged the head of a pirate Centurion. The best part was I'd negotiated for 4 pieces of scrap of my choice, and I'd also gotten the last piece for my Grasshopper. Which I've also learned, with my current loadout, excels at hunting lighter mechs as well as heatlocking larger ones. It can also jump two or three tiles further than it can standard move, which is fun.

BattleTech

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: May 12, 2018, 06:00:28 pm »

Pretty sure he wasn't the character SIGINT, but yes, the DARPA chief in MGS1.

I uh.  Worked my way up to hard difficulty in Starcraft 2 AI versus.
not really much of an "own", but hey.  That last battle was a pretty strong/kawaii curbstomp~

Don't ask about my following three battles against hard AIs DX  I can kill zerg and other terrans, but protoss...
She/they

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: May 12, 2018, 06:39:11 pm »

He is SIGINT.

Also, Paramedic is Dr. Clark, the one what made Frank go off the rails and become the Cyborg Ninja.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: May 12, 2018, 06:45:20 pm »

Spoiler: It's polite to do this (click to show/hide)

Last month I made top 100 North America in Hearthstone. 65% win rate.

Then I dropped the mic (uninstalled the game).
My friend is a major Hearthstone player.  I like to joke that it's a Magic knock-off, but we both know I'm joking.  Particularly considering-

Also, nice avatar, and welcome to the forum!
I apologize for the rude welcome, but we are 'ard gamers here :P
She/they

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: May 12, 2018, 07:19:03 pm »

I started KSP on Thursday.

Spoiler: Today... (click to show/hide)

He is a smol probe, but he is brave. Also, quite unplanned cuz I was trying to put him on high orbit around Kerbin.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: May 12, 2018, 08:13:17 pm »

scale down your hud pls

Nice job by the way. Took me several days before I figured out how to actually make orbit

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: May 12, 2018, 10:01:37 pm »

It's not easy, it's counter-intuitive.  In an educational way.
She/they

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: May 13, 2018, 12:03:36 am »

There was a guy in MGS1 named Donald Anderson. Other than that, Iunno.

*continues reeing into the sunset*
Anderson
ree
Isnt there one in mass effect?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: May 13, 2018, 12:06:32 am »

Yeah, he was the first Captain of the Normandy and later becomes an Admiral.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: May 13, 2018, 06:24:10 am »

Last night I hooked up with the guys I normally play with, except the captain I prefer wasn't on yet, so I went with a guy I know, but who's ship I never served on. The whole crew was in a kinda wacky mood, so he was trying all kinds of weird ship loadouts just for the dumb of it.

Amazingly, most of them worked. I'm not sure if it was just the crew was so good (we are all experienced players), or if we actually stumbled on good combinations (doubtful), but either way we had a blast being silly for a change.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 708