Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275041 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9000 on: October 30, 2018, 04:51:13 pm »

Muscle vs Omnicidal Hell-Cow.

I miscalculated how much damage the fourth hit of Rollout would do to the Machop, but Miltank was barely hanging on herself. I sent out Pidgey, nearly screwed EVERYTHING up by accidentally selecting Gust instead of Quick Attack(Miltank was faster), but luckily the last shot from Rollout missed. Which was a good thing since nearly my entire team would instantly die to Rollout otherwise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: October 31, 2018, 08:18:32 pm »

Imma do something different. The name of the thing will be unspoiled, and there will be two spoilers afterwards. These are real legit spoilers for something released recently, so if you look at them it's all on you.

Delta Rune.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: November 01, 2018, 05:27:29 am »

Had bots driving a jeep while I manned the HMG on the back. As we were driving over a small bump, a fully-crewed Raven jeep tried to do a Dukes of Hazard-style jump by us on the same bump. I turned around and fired, killing all three before either of us hit the ground.

We were immediately blown up by an enemy TOW launcher after that.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: November 02, 2018, 03:24:43 am »

Spoiler: Maybe spoilers? (click to show/hide)

X-Com2: WOTC
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: November 02, 2018, 10:13:26 am »

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: November 02, 2018, 12:43:41 pm »

Not scripted lol.  Its great that you thought so tho, and its certainly appropriate.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: November 02, 2018, 02:01:30 pm »

Finished Skittergate on Champion, which is kind of silly because it's the fourth Champion mission I finish ever.

Warhammer: Vermintide 2
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: November 03, 2018, 04:32:04 pm »

Quilava somehow took out a Hitmonchan a few levels higher... while frozen. He was able to burn Hitmonchan, got hit with Ice Punch, and survived until the flames brought Hitmonchan down.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: November 03, 2018, 08:19:14 pm »

Not scripted lol.  Its great that you thought so tho, and its certainly appropriate.

Speaking of XCOM 2, I just finished like seven flawless missions in a row, got fucked up a bit on the Blacksite but still beat it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: November 08, 2018, 04:06:23 pm »

Designed a partial steam-powered metal ship that can launch itself out of the water at only 6% of its drive setting and 100% fuel burn rate.

While normally a sea-going ship trying to become a spaceship is normally a bad thing, this does represent a significant improvement on using steam-based engines. It's also not a finished vessel yet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: November 08, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »

Things that could cause a flying boat in FtD:

Your ship is back heavy;
Your propellers are under the center of mass and are acting like a lever to flip the nose upwards;
or you have flat surfaces in the front of the ship.

Not criticism, just advice.  When its done you should put a picture in the FtD thread.  Also WTF did the update do to naval propulsion, there's no way you could have done that by accident under the old system.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: November 08, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »

If you're not in the know, there's new water props you can connect to steam engines.  They are quite stronk.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: November 08, 2018, 05:37:01 pm »

I know there's a certain threshold of power where it suddenly goes from around 12m/s to loop-de-loop, but I can't find it. Doesn't help that steam pressure takes so long to change.

Propellers are almost certainly under center-of-mass though. Definitely not back-heavy, as I put a lot of weight into the front plus an ACB to manage air-pump buoyancy for this exact problem. My understanding is, steam propellers are frickin' powerful. And I'm using three 3m ones. Might explain why they cost 5000mt each.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: November 08, 2018, 09:21:33 pm »

In my experience if there's a loop-de-loop threshold, that indicates a deeper problem that will show up later.

Just imagine your boat is a model being held up by a string from its center.  If you put your finger on the propeller and pushed the model forward, which way would it turn?  For example if your propellors were on the left side of your ship pushing it would cause the model's nose to tip to the right.  Since your propellors are on the bottom, imagine if you pushed the model forward from below.  It would cause the nose to tip upwards.  This causes the props to change orientation upwards and thus the boat goes out of the water.

A good boat should have the center of mass *slightly* lower than the propellers.  That way the boat is constantly tipping down.  But as the front of the boat submerges, the buoyancy increases, and as a result the upward force on the nose increases.  In calm water at any (reasonable) speed, the nose will always remain stable.  Boat speeds up, buoyancy increases.  It stays in equilibrium.  Your boat doesn't stay in equilibrium, because as the nose exits the water the buoyancy decreases but so does the water resistance.  Water places greatly more drag on a vehicle than air.  As your vehicle noses up, it wants to do two things.  The sudden decrease in buoyancy makes your boat want to fall.  But the sudden decrease in drag makes it want to speed up.  At low velocities falling wins and your nose goes back down.  At high velocities going forwards wins, and since your nose is aiming upwards that means the boat goes upwards.  That's your loop de loop threshold.  Put a bunch of lead at the lowest and most forward point on your vehicle, I guarantee it will speed up despite being heavier.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: November 10, 2018, 12:21:28 pm »

Took above advice, and several hull designs later finally got a metal steamship that can go about 15m/s without becoming a rollercoaster. It noses up, but not far. Some quick research puts that near the speeds of many modern destroyers today. That'll drop down once I arm it, of course. Max fuel consumption is 3mt a second, but I had to separate engineering and the boiler through the decks.

Also might have found a bug: deleting the only material storage doesn't starve the boilers of material if your avatar is still giving resources to the ship.

Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 708