Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1273641 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9165 on: January 12, 2019, 08:30:25 pm »

Since my computer is the only one in the house that can run VR headsets at the moment, I've essentially rented it out so we could test out the new Oculus Rift my parents went out and bought recently.

Anyway... I managed to land the Not-Soyuz capsule first try.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: January 12, 2019, 10:38:04 pm »

I completed a Nuzlocke of Pokemon Crystal Clear romhack.  Shuckie and Xenu (Clefable) were lost to the "Elite Four", as were several others beforehand, but Alakazam/Dragonite/Gengar/Steelix (Strange/Kob/Hex/Rocky) were better prepared... though there were cases when they would have died to crits.  Success was not guaranteed by any means.
I really felt the clutch moments at the end, and the classic chiptune remixes landed well as I sweated over decisions.  The Elite 4 is ~75 and very tricksy in this hack.

OuO
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:43:26 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9167 on: January 13, 2019, 01:55:18 am »

I'm glad that you never corrupted your pure Pikachu and turned it into a dirty Raichu.

For my own, I was sieging a greenskin settlement with Mazdamundi's glorious army... which in this particular instance featured 13 temple guards.  These are 75 per unit of armored saurus halberdiers with fairly elite stats.  I did this because Mazdamundi gets a special -50% upkeep mod on them.  I was expecting him to go ham with these guys.

Then the greenskins come up with a new partial stack and attack.  That + the garrison and the stack in the city gives them 30-35 units against to my full stack of 20.  I had to think long and hard about whether to retreat or not, any fight involving the greenskins is always a massacre but I can never guess which side will be on the receiving end.  In the end I decide to go.  I set up my temple guard in a line, then hand over my 4 skink skirmisher units and 1 firebolas terradon to my brother, who's playing co op with me.

The fight turns into the typical TW mashed together melee... only I realize partway through, my theoretically better units aren't winning.  My best guess is that with only 75 per unit, there just weren't enough bodies to soak up the arrow fire and high number of incoming melee attacks.  I try to make it work but it becomes clear that it isn't so I do something neither of us has done in this campaign: I call a retreat.  In most of the battles it would have been fine.  Unfortunately, the orcs brought cavalry, and sauruses are slow as balls.

1 temple guard unit escapes.  At 23 models left.  The few others that made it out were too small and disbanded.  My lord and 2 heroes escaped, and all the units I gave my brother came out mostly intact.  Apparently retreating during an enemy turn used up my move for the following turn, so I moved my 2 heroes out of the army, and just hoped the orcs wouldn't chase us.  They were orcs, so of course they took all the non-garrison units and attacked.  So we're sitting here, with a bunch of small lizards with blowdarts, a handful of pterodactyl, religious Jabba the Hutt and a tiny force of bodyguards.  We decide to split up the units the same way as before.  I'll sit in a corner of the map with Mazdamundi and his honor guard and spam the arcane conduit ability to raise up our magic reserves and also spam heal on himself.  My brother will try to defeat a horde of orcs with some skirmishers.

Like all battles involving orcs, it was a massacre.  They only had 3 units of wounded calvalry left, and one archer unit.  The skinks focused fire on the calvalry units while the terradons dropped their bombs on top of the archers.  By some miracle all 4 of the actually threatening units ended up dead without the skinks getting tied down into melee.  This left only a near-full stack of wounded infantry... none of whom were faster than the skinks.  Who have the "fire while moving" ability.  So while their poison blowdarts are mainly for debuffs, they get to fire pretty much all of the ammo into unarmored orcs.  And they brought a lot.  They killed hundreds of orcs but it wasn't enough to stop them converging on my corner of the map.

But I was ready for them.  Riding his ancient personal Stegadon Zlaaq and with a full pool of magic to draw from, Mazdamundi thundered into battle.  On his way in he dropped his bound spell "banishment", which costs no magic and creates a randomly moving vortex with a significant radius.  Then Zlaaq hit the orc frontlines and literally sent them flying.  Mazdamundi started dropping comets into the orc ranks and self buffing/healing, while the skinks used the last of their blowdarts to apply the poison debuff.  Already exhausted, with two fights worth of casualties and no remaining support units, the orc infantry were not ready to fight a triceratops and routed.  But we weren't done, Mazdamundi started using magic nets to trap them in place while the skinks used their superior speed to harry the enemy.

Anyway, long story short, that's how 350 skinny nerd lizards killed 600 orcs.  With 8 casualties on our side.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:25:45 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: January 13, 2019, 05:16:41 am »

Beating Death at the very first combat... and effectively first turn...

I've got a Hurry-Scurry, which is a 1-cost skill card that lets you pick one of three random other skill cards to by played at 0-cost.
It turns into an Expansion Pack, which is a rare skill card that gives you four random cards, at 0-cost.
One of them is Call Up, which lets you pull all of one card from your deck or discard into your hand, which I use on Hurry-Scurry, pulling three of them into my hand.
Another card I got from Expansion Pack was Lifetap, which for an amount of life, gives -1cost to all cards in your hand.
I pop my Hurry-Scurries... getting a Meditation, which transforms all the cards in your hand into one of your choice from your discard (Hello there, extra Hurry-Scurries!), Energizing Potion, which shuffles in Poison cards into your draw in return for -1cost to all cards this turn, and something else.
Repeat.
Somewhere along the line, I got a few attack versions of H-S which allowed me to stunlock Death and also deal some actual damage. Such as 1dam per card in my deck, which was around 400 at this point (out of 666). The stunlock was essential, since at higher difficulties, he goes invulnerable every 111hp, so I had to end the turn and resume the beatdown.

Basically, I got stupidly lucky with my draws and ended up with an infinite combo right out of the gate.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9169 on: January 14, 2019, 03:04:43 pm »

I haven't played Paladins in about three weeks. Decided to hop back into it today to finish up a challenge before the end of the competitive season.

I ground out some practice in the shooting range, played two matches of casual, and jumped into ranked for the challenge.

I'm rocking a 5-0 record with Makoa, one of the most skill-intensive champions in the game. I'm also playing with people ranked two divisions above me. I have no idea why I'm doing so well, but it feels nice!

Paladins.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9170 on: January 14, 2019, 07:52:20 pm »

Just finished absolute monarchy Byzantium, defeating America on their home turf. I'm physically sick

victoria II

*EDIT
My face is twitching and I am shaking. Fuck I am never doing that again. Ever again
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:55:27 pm by Loud Whispers »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9171 on: January 14, 2019, 08:57:37 pm »

But why.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9172 on: January 15, 2019, 04:21:37 am »

Well you know what they say... When in Constantinople, do as the Romans do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9173 on: January 15, 2019, 04:35:23 am »

But why.
I can't stop forming absolute monarchy underdog nations

Taiping Heavenly Kingdom
The Pope
Byzantine Empire

I'm going to stop before I die zuluing

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9174 on: January 15, 2019, 04:54:04 am »

Make a tribal empire. Try to make it stick.

Yurts everywhere.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9175 on: January 15, 2019, 05:08:57 am »

DID SOMEBODY SAY ZULU
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:14:20 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9176 on: January 15, 2019, 08:35:28 am »

ZULU ZULU ZULU ZULU ZULU

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9177 on: January 15, 2019, 09:19:49 am »

Oh man, I'm trying to get into Victoria 2 right now, and while it's extremely fun, it seems that I always leg behind AI's industry score.

Currently playing as Sweden, since they have insane literacy rate. Right now, I'm trying to annex Finland.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: January 15, 2019, 07:13:49 pm »

Numerous attempts, and I finally took a second resource pile, bringing my current income to a little over €1000 per cycle(for reference, a normal infantryman is €50+1HR). Out of 25 men including myself, only 7 died. Most(in my squad at least) died to an MRAP that showed up out of nowhere before I put a rocket into its backside.

Decided to trust the AI a bit and give the other two squads trucks to drive. One squad got stuck because the town's garrison(consisting of one man) wouldn't step out of the way, so I had to give multiple move orders around him... during which I ran into a couple of civilians who jumped in front of my truck. Because when you see a military-painted truck carrying more than half a dozen scary Greek dudes with assault rifles coming towards you, the best idea is to run right into the middle of the road suddenly.

Started the battle by setting up a 50.cal. I learned how to zoom even, and this gun is a goddamned beast. Sadly a sniper wrecked my machine gun before I had a chance to kill about 8 or so enemies and I'm still pretty salty about that. Those machine guns are only somewhat cheap. Then again, the rest of the battle was just an advance-and-destroy, along with the usual mop-up.

EDIT: Won the first Martial Arts tournament. Due to quest-related shenanigans, Arlo was disqualified because he's required to stand in specific spots during the unrelated quest, and also lost the bet on Qiwa against Erwa because Qiwa simply wouldn't enter the ring. The game actually does check if the required characters are in the ring. My opening fight was against the tailor shop owner, Carol. Then I faced Erwa, and finally Sanwa in the final. Both of them(along with 3 of the other 5 brothers) have the same stats and animation, meaning both were completely stunlocked into defeat.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:39:57 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9179 on: January 16, 2019, 04:45:15 pm »

So, some easter egg spoilers for RDR2. Don't read ahead if you're planning on grabbing everything in the game and fully expect to be able to do this thing on your own without tearing anyone's hair out.

Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 708