Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1271743 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9195 on: January 27, 2019, 08:48:39 pm »

It may have required dragging my right knee across the ground while bounding forward using my extended left heel, but I completed a 100m dash.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: January 28, 2019, 01:21:44 am »

Beat the game with the help of a couple of folks on Discord.

Tricks like stacking Soldier's Syringes and using the missile launcher helped loads.

EDIT: Huh. Looks like I forgot to say what game it was.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:45:27 pm by AzyWng »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: January 28, 2019, 01:41:54 am »

*Casts Meteor Storm*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: January 28, 2019, 04:26:33 am »

I like to think that those last two posts are also from QWOP.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: January 28, 2019, 08:37:05 pm »

Defeated the Puppet Master. I had to set the battle time-limit to 10 minutes(the highest it can go), and had to sacrifice one of my ships to lure it into range of the orbital defense platforms - I learned from this battle that it cannot t̷̡̒a̶͚͝k̴͕̿e̴̮͐ ̶͔̄c̵̣͒o̴̫̕n̴̪͑t̸̪̂r̶͈͊o̷̺͑l̴̠͂ ̴̤̈́ô̶͜f̵̘͒ them. Even then, it wasn't looking like it was enough, so I tried inch as many ships as I could into missile range.

It died at precisely 0:00 left on the clock. In fact, the game declared the battle a draw, and I was worried it had managed to á̵͓̪̐s̴̫͐͜s̸̲̝͂e̵̢̞͠r̵̬͍̉͌t̶̛̝̃ ̵̦̈́͜č̵̠ǫ̶̨̾n̸̢͒̀ẗ̶̻r̴̦͙͆̆o̸̼̭̍l̴͖̰͆ ̸̯̇o̸͑̾ͅv̴̙͊̚ē̵͇r̷̟͑ the entire system. But no, it was dead. Only losses were the one ship and 5 very cheap defense platforms.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: January 29, 2019, 06:01:16 pm »

If it was attacking your system shouldn't you have won when the time ended?  That's how Total War works, defender wins on timeout.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: January 29, 2019, 06:10:58 pm »

Not against Grand Menaces, they win or at least the System Killer does on a timeout (always 4mins vs SK even if you have 10min battles). Other fights are draws because both sides might still have a considerable force left but for most random encounters the random force leaves post battle.

My first fights vs the SK were a cakewalk though it did take two battles to kill it. Turns out it is defenceless vs improved cloaking ships as long as they are on the field before the SK can fire.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: January 29, 2019, 06:22:17 pm »

You expect space dolphins to abide by your puny human logic? Pah! Sword of the Stars does not require your bipedal monkey science!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: January 29, 2019, 06:29:59 pm »

If it was attacking your system shouldn't you have won when the time ended?  That's how Total War works, defender wins on timeout.

In a normal fight, say, between two player fleets, both sides retreat, remain at the same location and will fight again(if they don't move somewhere else) next turn. I'm not sure what happens if you fail to kill a silicoid queen in time, maybe it establishes itself as a hive.

Puppet Master will mind-control the entire star system.

EDIT: I finally figured out how to switch the Titan Compact(which fires AT missiles) to top-attack mode, in which the missiles fly up, then hit the target on top(like a Javelin, which the Titan is not based on). This was during an AAF attack on Negades, which is odd since I thought there was a range limit from your HQ for attack missions to be generated and my HQ is halfway across the map now. Anyhow, attack's over before I can get there("halfway across the map now"), Negades flips, and I set up for at least damaging the attack force at the (still destroyed) radio tower on the mountaintop south of Negades, bringing a full squad and a truck with both Titan models and ammo for both.

Helicopters strafe the tower base. Nobody's hurt, either here or the power plant south of the tower. I was preparing for tanks, so I didn't have the AA launcher ready, and so I didn't get any hits in. I don't know how many helicopters got shot down, definitely one for sure. There were probably some ground forces somewhere south of the power plant, since the mortars at the tower outpost start firing and don't stop. I drive over to a cliff overlooking Negades, spot some AAF infantry hanging around, get my squad lined up to fire down.

Then I see an APC, and I can't lock on it from my position. It rams a civilian truck, exploding it, and a minute later starts driving away, giving me the line-of-sight to establish missile lock. First hit doesn't kill, and neither does the PCML rocket one of my AT guys fires almost simultaneously. The top-attack missile hit must have disabled the APC's turret however, since it didn't immediately instantly murder my squad me. Another Titan missile levels an entire city block along with the APC. Almost immediately: "Task completed: Negades joins FIA."

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:40:33 pm by Akura »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: January 29, 2019, 08:43:43 pm »

Beat Ramuh trial-size fight, first try.

FFXI
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: January 30, 2019, 12:06:45 am »

I forged a perfect gun.

First I found a legendary Dead Whisper ("The Gentle Caress of Ultimate Oblivion"), which was a sufficient gun for a while.  Then I entered its item world, going through 100 floors and defeating its item god.
Along the way I found a legendary Megiddo Cannon ("Releases the annihilation of reality") which was a bit better.

But to get the perfect gun, I needed access to the Land of Carnage.  So I traveled various item worlds fighting various varieties of interdimensional pirates, collecting their treasure maps.  I finally found the Red Pirates and completed my set.  The Land of Carnage is an... interesting town, where the NPC dialogues (including gameplay tutorials) are a mix of verbal assault and plain surrealism.

Now I was able to make my way through the 100 floors of the Megiddo Cannon, and face its Uber Item God...  Where my level 9999 thief stole his gun.

Etoile ("The culmination of human ingenuity").  It means star, and it kinda looks like an inlaid storm bolter.  Unfinished, but with ultimate potential. 

Then came the tricky part, heh.  Hundreds of timelines were discarded as I savescummed the item world, needing 100 points worth of bonus levels before I reached the end.  Mostly finding cooperative fortune tellers (then beating them up for an extra edge).  Something the guide never mentioned was that the RNG seed is saved - might be new to the PC version.  So it wasn't enough to reload, I had to run the RNG a bit anytime I needed a different result.  It's an odd bit of mercy that the number of bonus levels is capped at 100...  Gives quite a bit of wiggle-room.

Final I reached the Uber Item God 2.  It was a surprisingly difficult fight, taking several rounds and the sacrifice of several low-level minions, and that was after I stole his weapon (which is, naturally, a perfect but unlevelled replica of this perfect gun).  But eventually he was slain... at which point I teleported out of the item world, then back in, to kill him a second time.  Because obviously that gives an additional bonus (no bonus for a third kill, though- that would be silly!)

Guns are pretty useful to perfect because their damage is based on the same stat that determines accuracy.  So a level 1 character with this gun not only does substantial damage, they also have an actual shot at hitting high-level enemies.  Very important since there's a "reincarnation" system for resetting level.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: January 30, 2019, 04:14:56 pm »

One of my weaker beastmen hordes decided to chase after a tiny 2 unit greenskin stack.  My horde is big but consists of the weakest beastmen units, so basically the weakest units in the entire game that aren't summons.

The greenskins use some trickery to call in a larger stack as reinforcements, so now I've got an equally huge army of da boyz bearing down on me and no real hope of defeating them.  There's no retreat, no way to win a straight fight, that means its time to use my secret technique.
Also known as the "clown car vanguard maneuver".  For reference, both sides have only deployed 2 units normally.  That red reinforcements sign?  That's their entire army walking in from that side of the map.  They entered in a neat little rectangle and were met with a beastmen blob coming from their left flank.  The end result was our armies forming a sort of T shape, with me being mostly the top of the T and the greenskins getting a very bad engagement that left them open to my archers.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: January 30, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »

Leviathan in FFXI is tough as balls but I got him, you tricksy little fish-snake you.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: January 31, 2019, 07:26:37 am »

Game starts off ok, second floor secret room has a rainbow chest tho, with the goddamn clone in it, plus the grenade launcher, so bossing becomes way easier. Kinda snowballs from there, so by the first high dragun encounter I have 3 master rounds, a bunch of passives and synergies, then I die to the dragun and start all over again, with all my stuff. At first it was a bit tough to get ammo for the stupid amount of guns, but after a while most of them were full since I wasn't using them, had atleast a dozen damn things, to say nothing of the stupid Daruma, which combined with the blank companion and a chaos ammolet to murder everything ever if it sent a single bullet that I could dodge my way. Managed to even clear the high priest without taking damage, and the fucker was always giving me trouble before this. Also had like 10 hearts total :V

Still died like a chump to the pilots past, that thing is such a pain because it's so damn different than the entirety of the game up to that point, dodging the lasers is especially shit since it's hard to figure out the i-frames in the roll. And sure I could learn the stuff after enough attempts, the thing is tho that said attempts are still farily rare for me.

Also fuck the steam overlay not working and being unable to take screenshots for whatever reason as this was one of the rare moments it warranted taking one (or rather several since the inventory was packed that you had to scroll to see all the shit I've gotten :V)

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:59 am »

Built a craft capable of landing at sea-level on Eve and then returning more effectivy than the massive abomination that I created before. This one costs 500K credits as opposed to over a million credits, which also opens up the possibility of actual profitable Eve missions.

Kerbal Spehss Program
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 708