Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1272140 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9285 on: February 27, 2019, 04:16:16 am »

A diablos charges into the center of the arena.  It hits a shock trap.  4 barrel bombs explode.  Ballistas firing.  More explosions happen. I switch the dragonator switch.  Diablos slayed.

That was like, a 10 second diablos fight and the poor thing spent basically all of it in stunlock.   The rathalos that came immediately after died almost as fast, there was just no dragonator to finish it off.

Monster Hunter World
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: February 27, 2019, 04:57:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love the hand cannon and the hand cannon loves me.

That mission was super lategame, I believe it only had that few guards because it was the first mission to use the second alarm levels.  But yeah, I shot 3 of the guards and used an EMP to murder a camera drone, leaving only two guys who spent basically the entire mission knocked out.  The poor guy I left in the second room had a flash pack next to him, so he got up and then immediately was KOed again by a flashbang.  Naturally with no guards left it was effortless to loot the whole facility.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: February 28, 2019, 12:58:13 pm »

Templar with Reaper and Volt > All the Lost

She killed so many of them.

XCOM 2 WOTC
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: February 28, 2019, 08:39:49 pm »

May have finally come up with a better opening strategy than what I had been trying. Old strategy: colonize the other planets in the system, making sure one is a dedicated Electronics world, another a dedicated Adv.Parts world. Add some hauler ships to get resources moving around the system better. Wait until all the planets are fully built up before building up the next system.

New strategy: ignore the other planets in the starting system, send out scouts for good systems nearby, colonize one world for a couple of good systems(I did five), manually manage each worlds building queue(set them to Renovate Only governor so the auto-upgrade buildings) so that they can self-sustain. Used a scale-24.0 colony ship with cargo space for the first colonies as opposed to the starting scale-11.5 ships. Helps to dock them for a little bit so that the resources can build up for the colony ship to take. Wait until that planet is built up before colonizing others in the system.

About an hour in I'm starting to just throw colony ships around, as I now have a pretty hefty income. The one enemy empire declared war and, earlier than expected, dumped a fleet of ships on one of my core worlds. In an obvious case of gunboat diplomacy, they immediately sued for peace demanding research and Adv.Parts income, as opposed to the stupidly vast quantities of Luxury Goods they always demand(which I never bother with producing for some time into the game). Now, me and them are just having a dick-measuring contest in that system, seeing who can cram more and larger ships there. I'm winning, because I have artillery stations, and at least one of their ships has run out of fuel and died despite a ship named "Tanker" present. Plus, I have better science - none of their ships have shields.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: February 28, 2019, 09:45:35 pm »

Killed the Assassin. Okay, devs. You can call the fuck down with the insane marathon/boss battles.

XCOM 2 WOTC
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: March 01, 2019, 07:46:29 pm »

It looks like the AI never actually updates their colony ship designs. Meaning they're slow, short-ranged, and are still scale 11.5. Using vastly larger, faster colony ship designs, with ion drives and antimatter reactors, I've beaten several of the enemy colony ships to the punch. Then watched as their ships limp away, hoping to reach another viable world before they run out of fuel(some didn't).

Even better, I pushed Propulsion research hard, so that I now have planetary thrusters, and also colonized an Unstable Star; several worlds with 30+ slots(18 or so is average) but in a system where the star only has 4 million hitpoints - by comparison, planets have billions, and normal stars have trillions of hitpoints while even modest-sized late-game ships can have several million hitpoints - meaning it's all too easy to accidentally detonate the entire system. Naturally, that downside is less of an issue when you can just strap rocket engines to the entire planet and move somewhere else. Then strap massive guns and shields to the planet and go near the enemy. Oh, and build large artillery stations with system-wide range, dock them inside the planet, and then just pop them out to alphastrike everything.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: March 02, 2019, 11:47:30 am »

I went in with seventy-one of the finest men I could acquire.

The castle had two-hundred thirty-three of Swadia's last troops.

I came out slathered in blood and with sixty-five men.

AND a brand spanking new castle to get a good chunk of change off of!

Mount and Blade: Warband.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: March 02, 2019, 11:52:22 am »

Any activity that you walk out of covered in someone else's blood...
Is a good activity.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: March 02, 2019, 12:09:09 pm »

Now watch as the lord you just booted out runs off and somehow pulls 300 new troops out of a village that had just gotten raided the week before.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: March 02, 2019, 02:10:12 pm »

Now watch as the lord you just booted out runs off and somehow pulls 300 new troops out of a village that had just gotten raided the week before.

And by "new" you mean "At least 50 of them are 100% upgraded".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: March 02, 2019, 02:14:38 pm »

And by "new" you mean "At least 50 of them are 100% upgraded".

It's what happens when your recruiter goes out looking for applicants with 5 years experience fighting in a war that's only been going on for 3 years.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: March 03, 2019, 09:16:14 am »

War continues. I originally attempted to build a scale-1024 warship(I set the maximum possible ship size to 2056) to stomp the ~130-sized ships the enemy was using, but I couldn't build them fast enough; by the time I could get jump one into a system, they'd have flooded dozens. Lost a few key systems simply because of the zerg rush.

Switched over to a scale-256 ship of the same configuration. By the time I made the change, technology had progressed to the point that, at 1/4 of the size and therefore estimated cost, these ships had roughly equal stats to their more massive predecessor. They also seem to be built more than four times faster, again probably due to technology buffing other areas(Space Ports shipping more resources, Cities/Shipyards producing more labor, etc). Now I'm putting enough ships into the fray to turn entire battles around.

The enemy responded by producing ships over scale-300, but yet, all this time, they have not ever researched shields. Furthermore, my technology must be far ahead of theirs since despite them being bigger, mine have more HP with shields on top of that. My ships also have both Repair Bays(heals self) and Repair Tools(heals others), so they can just retreat and repair if things get too hairy. They've actually just tried to sue for piece, offering a pittance of Adv.Part income.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: March 03, 2019, 10:37:45 am »

Belgium proved...troublesome. While the Hammer of the Reich, the 2nd Army, smashed through the Netherlands with ease, two German Armies crumpled Poland, and one helped the Italians throw the Greeks out of Greece, Belgium stood strong.

A British landing took place near Memel after the German Fleet was wholly smashed by Allied naval forces, only to be surrounded, cut off from the beaches, and systematically eliminated. And yet Belgium stood strong.

Two armies stood along the French border in anticipation of the Hammer and supporting Armies smashing through Belgium, but it never came.

The reason for this is because the whole of the Allied forces had dedicated themselves to defending and recapturing lost ground in the Lowlands. The entirety of the enemy's forces wound up getting churned through, though losses were much heavier on the attacking side. Eventually a German breakthrough was forced...in the dead center of the Maginot Line. The French and their allies put up a valiant effort in pushing us back, however the newly fielded Panzer IV A was more than they bargained for on all counts. The gap was widened and eventually a second breakthrough force pushed north-west to Paris, which was surrounded and eventually surrendered after a few days of intense fighting. With France capitulating, Poland pacified, Athens under Fascist control, and the Soviet Union busy with consolidating territory, all but one army was given orders to force the allies from the Belgian pocket (which sounds like a nice snack). Just as it was with the earlier British invasion, the Allied forces had the shore taken from behind them and they were wiped out, though only after valiantly and stubbornly holding their ground from mid-1940 to the end of 1941.

Allied strength now rests largely in Africa, though Italy was able to make some progress on their own. Three armies were diverted to the Soviet border while the rest either defend the French and German shores or prepare to campaign in Africa. Most of Germany's air power is concentrated on launching sorties over and across the Channel.

It's nothing too flashy, but I sucked at HoI in general until something just clicked recently. It's my first time actually playing Regular Ironman since I usually play on an easy difficulty for relaxed worldpainting or with mods for massive tech and decision trees in different eras. I figured a new DLC is a good time to give actually playing the game as it was meant to be a shot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: March 03, 2019, 11:23:46 am »

Don't worry about not being able to defeat Belgium...

Nobody can defeat Belgium.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: March 03, 2019, 08:43:53 pm »

War is over. Enemy empire no longer exists. In the end, they did finally get shields, but it wasn't enough. I laughed as their tribute offers for peace got smaller and smaller, a sure sign of them getting weaker.

Oddly, the achievements(in-game, none for Steam) for victory do not seem to track, unless you they're scripted for the specific difficulties, and not those difficulties and up.

Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 708