Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275200 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9300 on: March 04, 2019, 08:19:49 am »

Met the Hunter for the first time. I don't think he even managed to hit anything. Two overwatch hits put him a dash away from my Templar, who coup de graced his punk ass.

XCOM 2 WOTC
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: March 04, 2019, 12:55:44 pm »

Now watch as the lord you just booted out runs off and somehow pulls 300 new troops out of a village that had just gotten raided the week before.

And by "new" you mean "At least 50 of them are 100% upgraded".

It's what happens when your recruiter goes out looking for applicants with 5 years experience fighting in a war that's only been going on for 3 years.
Nah that's how you leave soldier positions unfilled and have to make do with a temporary levy of interns.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: March 04, 2019, 03:15:45 pm »

I finally beat The Line (the yoda-like sensei with time powers) after a long break.  The final part wasn't too bad this time, I had just gotten sick of repeating the first stage.  The regen mechanic in this game is quite nice, though.

The Scale was quite visually impressive, including a bit of interface screw.  Interestingly, I was even getting video card glitches before the fight, cutting out and tearing, but that turned out to be a coincidence I guess.  All the water maybe.

I won on my first attempt, though I was downed several times.  I appreciate this game's regen-mechanic, it's sort of tug-of-war without sending you back (until you lose-lose).

The Hand was great in various ways.  Took me a few tries, even slept on it, but it wasn't at all frustrating.  Not like The Line.

This is a really good game, I'm okay with things (:
Furi
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: March 04, 2019, 03:48:22 pm »

For a moment I thought you were talking about Spec Ops: The Line. Had no idea what Time Yoda had to do with anything.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: March 04, 2019, 03:49:45 pm »

After seeing a video on it, I decided to try the absolute cheese strategy that is Russia+every wonder that boosts your attrition damage and national border.

As long as you have some fast attack troops - which is Russia's midgame unique unit by the way - to gank any supply wagons or leaders, your territory effectively becomes a massive radioactive hellhole the enemy cannot survive in for more than a few seconds. ...At least until everyone gets silos and starts tossing nukes around like hand grenades. Had to put a stop to that by spamming cruise missiles onto any missile silos I saw. Even then, the other Russian empire dropped a nuke on my library just seconds before Missile Shield was researched. I responded by removing their Versailles, and getting a Wonder victory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: March 05, 2019, 02:23:53 am »

I finally beat The Line (the yoda-like sensei with time powers) after a long break.  The final part wasn't too bad this time, I had just gotten sick of repeating the first stage.  The regen mechanic in this game is quite nice, though.

The Scale was quite visually impressive, including a bit of interface screw.  Interestingly, I was even getting video card glitches before the fight, cutting out and tearing, but that turned out to be a coincidence I guess.  All the water maybe.

I won on my first attempt, though I was downed several times.  I appreciate this game's regen-mechanic, it's sort of tug-of-war without sending you back (until you lose-lose).

The Hand was great in various ways.  Took me a few tries, even slept on it, but it wasn't at all frustrating.  Not like The Line.

This is a really good game, I'm okay with things (:
Furi

Dammit, I always have a LOT of trouble with the Scale. How can you beat him in one try o_o
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: March 05, 2019, 02:29:00 am »

Dammit, I always have a LOT of trouble with the Scale. How can you beat him in one try o_o
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1673743310

I have no idea, besides being stone sober and mad.
MAD ABOUT JAILORS

Really though I don't know.  I was down to one life twice, dodging.  I think maybe... dodging wasn't the key?  In that the healer-snake coiled attack was more tricksy than it was difficult.  Once you see its pattern (ha) it's not so hard to dodge.  Close might be better.

Defy their rules.  Rage against their borders!  The end is so near!

Edit on and on, I continue, circling: It might be a danmaku (touhou) instinct, where you have to read the pattern and find a safe spot.  I wouldn't presume, but I have played a lot of danmaku and you were relevantly weak at this part, that's the only reason I bring it up.

Edit2: I tried The Line at *least* a dozen times, easily two dozen.  I grew to hate the game and sorta-abandoned it, occasionally practicing against the strap and jailor.
Coming back after a long break helped.  But that's bad advice, isn't it?

Don't stand in the serpentine lines!!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:55:29 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: March 05, 2019, 03:26:02 pm »

After seeing a video on it, I decided to try the absolute cheese strategy that is Russia+every wonder that boosts your attrition damage and national border.

As long as you have some fast attack troops - which is Russia's midgame unique unit by the way - to gank any supply wagons or leaders, your territory effectively becomes a massive radioactive hellhole the enemy cannot survive in for more than a few seconds. ...At least until everyone gets silos and starts tossing nukes around like hand grenades. Had to put a stop to that by spamming cruise missiles onto any missile silos I saw. Even then, the other Russian empire dropped a nuke on my library just seconds before Missile Shield was researched. I responded by removing their Versailles, and getting a Wonder victory.

That works? Awesome. I remember wanting to try that back when the game was new, but human players catch onto your cheese pretty quick and gang up on you.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: March 05, 2019, 06:03:30 pm »

He was playing against the AI. I think it's safe to say that a human could outperform an AI in this situation.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: March 05, 2019, 08:45:29 pm »

Pretty much. A few idea that I suppose could win here:
  • Artillery, backed with supply wagons and anti-cavalry, and bring down border fortresses since those expand national borders.
  • Building the Versailles, or being French(oh the irony), as they get better supply wagons.
  • Building the wonders that boost attrition(Coliseum, Kremlin) just to deny the Russians.
  • Building the Statue of Liberty is almost critical, since it negates all attrition damage for the owner. Russia will likely build it as a denial play.
  • Air units, which as far as I know never suffer attrition as well.
  • Missiles. Aim for libraries first to deny attempts at researching Missile Shield.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: March 06, 2019, 11:01:06 am »

I've always wondered: if played competitively, does every game of Rise of Nations result in the end of the world?  It seems to me that at least on a large map people will get to the point where they have nukes, and then once people start using nukes any player that's losing might as well just launch the 30th nuke and draw the game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: March 06, 2019, 01:40:15 pm »

That sounds  really MAD.!
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: March 07, 2019, 12:21:36 pm »

Checked this thing out. Not sure if Rise of Nations is more ridicoulous than BFME2's war of the ring mode or not (both have strategic and tactics modes that barely influence each other, but RoN have tech research "on site". Age advancing, even! Which goes poof at the end of the battle), but it's sure as hell nearly as cramped and done lots better. =\

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: March 07, 2019, 07:28:55 pm »

Pretty much crippled a Hard AI on a water map, by blowing up their shipyard then camping where they tried to rebuild it. For some reason they never thought to build it somewhere else. Bombarded their town with frigates and a ship-of-the-line for awhile, then remembered that the galley(long range bombardment ship) was a thing. Probably would have won a lot sooner had I remembered that earlier.

Instead, I landed a full formation of grenadiers whose only casualties in the slaughter that followed came from the fact that the throwing range of a 1700's-era hand grenade is not longer than the bursting range of a 1700's-era hand grenade. More specifically, the throwing range is not longer than the blast radius of a town hall, or mill, or thereabouts.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: March 09, 2019, 10:30:51 pm »

I think I beat what might've been one of the hardest, if not the hardest, shooter level I ever played. Holy shit.

There were more minibosses liberally sprinkled through the damn level. I think it's the only level in the entire game so far where I literally said "fuck it" when it came to rescuing hostages. A ton of walls were just coated in spawners, which can spawn in a series of pre-set (for each individual spawner) robots, and can be literally anything that is not a boss or miniboss. The damn exit was covered in spawners and monster closets for maximum bullshit and bodyblocking during the escape sequence (it is timed)!

EDIT: I did it. I beat the damn game. The final boss was hard, but nowhere near the madness that was Secret Level 3. There's still the "Levels of the World" pack to go, but I am considering running Descent 2 instead and coming back for them later.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:25:10 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 708