Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1272467 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9360 on: April 21, 2019, 08:56:20 am »

Finally managed to kill a Blade Breaker Superdreadnought. It took two heavy capital ships that, ordinarily, could be used to clear entire orbital defense fleets on their lonesome, but we made it out with limited hull damage and no casualties.

It was all worth it, because we got... Wait, what? There's seriously no reward for doing this? What if I clear out the other two superdreadnoughts in orbit?

No?

Balls.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: April 21, 2019, 07:40:17 pm »

I knew those teleporters had "accidentally got adjusted" to just space people. I didn't get to stab him up close, but he didn't get to breathe, so good enough.

So is that the difference between crashing or subverting a telepad?

All hail the Rechargeable Long-Range Crashbeam.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: April 23, 2019, 01:10:19 am »

Not sure if this is an own or a death, but I mostly post in the death thread so I'll give this one some love.

Have not played from the depths in awhile.  Lots of updates since I last played.  I made an entirely new folder for new ship designs and have a few reasonably effective ones in the new version.  I decide to test them out against my old pre update designs from half a year ago.

An entire fleet of my new ships against my old capital.  I figure the new ships will tear the old brick shaped goliath apart.   I know how to properly make engines now instead of just using prefabs, and I know how to properly protect ammo stores and make redundant AI systems.   To top it off all the old ships missiles and torpedo systems won't work properly in the old system.

My old ships are apparently beasts.  My old capital ship's AA gun alone rips apart the biggest ship I created so far, and the main cannon made a corvette simply cease to exist, it even got a kill with a dumbfired pre-update torpedo.   I donno what I knew about cannons back then that I don't now, but that sheer damage output is terrifying and I don't know how I did it.  I even did a rematch with a smaller old design and it took out 3 ships of it's size before finally going down itself.

I have no idea how I did it but old me just owned new me.

From the depths
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: April 23, 2019, 08:06:24 am »

I knew those teleporters had "accidentally got adjusted" to just space people. I didn't get to stab him up close, but he didn't get to breathe, so good enough.

So is that the difference between crashing or subverting a telepad?

All hail the Rechargeable Long-Range Crashbeam.

Yep. The teleporter still appears to be functional, but doesn't get them where they are going. You probably want the crash beam if you're capturing. Crash beams also have the advantage of disabling a guard's (or more, if you can get them lined up) ability to sound an alarm. Crashbeams are more stealth, subverters are more powerful (turning turrets or shields against the user).

I finished and started a new universe, and it's a much smoother start this time. The game should have a more difficult mode.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: April 24, 2019, 12:46:37 pm »

I built baby's first factory.
I didn't know how to make things completely automated when I made this.  So I decided to centralize all of the buildings I would have to input or output manually from in one place and gather all my shit there.  It takes in copper, coal, and iron, and outputs ammo and science pack 1s.  It also produces a massive excess of copper plating and coal, which would seem to indicate iron is the bottleneck here.

If I would do anything differently, it would be waiting until I have filtered inserters (and maybe the larger power cables) before building a base.  Now that I know those are a thing, large chunks of the base are probably going to be removed and replaced.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:09 pm »

1 boiler will produce enough steam for two engines but otherwise not bad for a manual base. Very little spaghetti.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: April 24, 2019, 02:13:28 pm »

Ermagersh Factoriooooo now I need to post pictures of my Factorio stuff.

It's so addictive. Also, Iron is almost always the bottleneck for everything. Sometimes it's copper wire for those late-game chips.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: April 24, 2019, 05:02:42 pm »

I've still got my best success so far in that game still going. About 7-8 hours left for the 15-hour achievement, and I think I've started the first level of rocketry research.

------

The benefits of Limit grinding: hitting Palmer with Meteorrain, making the fat bastard explode in a shower of blood, guts, and of course, don't forget the lard. Fight lasted about 20 seconds only because he shot first as I was trying to screenshot it. Also, it's an absolute bastard to get screenshots off a Nintendo Switch if you don't have a microSD card installed.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:46 am »

Finally got through Exploding Head Syndrome.

It took me way too many attempts to solve that one, and turns out all I needed was some control nodes.

SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: April 29, 2019, 07:52:29 pm »

Cleared HELIOS One.
Spoiler: Diverted power to (click to show/hide)

Before leaving, just to be a dick, I shot Fantastic in the knee with my .357 revolver. He tried to draw a weapon on me, but halfway through the animation he put the gun back at his side and just stood there holding his busted leg. There are literally no consequences for doing that.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: April 29, 2019, 08:42:21 pm »

Not sure if this is an own or a death, but I mostly post in the death thread so I'll give this one some love.

Have not played from the depths in awhile.  Lots of updates since I last played.  I made an entirely new folder for new ship designs and have a few reasonably effective ones in the new version.  I decide to test them out against my old pre update designs from half a year ago.

An entire fleet of my new ships against my old capital.  I figure the new ships will tear the old brick shaped goliath apart.   I know how to properly make engines now instead of just using prefabs, and I know how to properly protect ammo stores and make redundant AI systems.   To top it off all the old ships missiles and torpedo systems won't work properly in the old system.

My old ships are apparently beasts.  My old capital ship's AA gun alone rips apart the biggest ship I created so far, and the main cannon made a corvette simply cease to exist, it even got a kill with a dumbfired pre-update torpedo.   I donno what I knew about cannons back then that I don't now, but that sheer damage output is terrifying and I don't know how I did it.  I even did a rematch with a smaller old design and it took out 3 ships of it's size before finally going down itself.

I have no idea how I did it but old me just owned new me.

From the depths
If an AA gun is ripping up your ship that would say to me that your armor isn't thick enough or angled enough.  A trick that worked for me is to layer from strongest to weakest; my biggest and most heavily armored ship was built out of multiple layers of stone and then central bits were shielded by metal armor layer.  The way armor stacking works, if the best armor is deepest then its bonus will get to apply multiple times before its finally stripped off.  Another trick that's good for small ships is to build the outer layer of alloy and the inner layers out of metal, then calibrate your buoyancy so its low in the water.  This will reduce your radar profile, which in a small ship will save you some fire in the opening stages of combat when your ship is directly facing the enemy and far away.

Unless your AA gun is HEAT, in which case that's not how I build my AA guns.  HEAT is kind of cheesy, last I checked as long as a compartment contains no sub constructions and has every tile occupied its effectively immune to the punch through effect of HEAT and HESH.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: April 30, 2019, 12:06:06 am »

Unless your AA gun is HEAT, in which case that's not how I build my AA guns.  HEAT is kind of cheesy, last I checked as long as a compartment contains no sub constructions and has every tile occupied its effectively immune to the punch through effect of HEAT and HESH.

While I don't get how you would make a filled in sub not sink, it makes sense that such sub is immune to HEAT and HESH. Especially HESH.
HEAT focused it's explosion through a narrow channel, allowing it to pierce armor. But since your sub is only armor, it just has a very thin hole in it.

HESH splatters on the surface of the armor before exploding, causing the other side of the armor to turn into shrapnel. Since the other side of the armor is other side of the hull and there is no sensitive machinery or crew inside, the sub just shakes a bit.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: April 30, 2019, 09:41:19 am »

The issue is that most of the stuff that goes inside a ship visually has large air pockets around it but the game considers the entire cube occupied.  If you look at for example an AI core it should be very vulnerable to fragments bouncing around inside the hull, but it isn't necessarily.

Also that should be "sub-constructions", like turrets and spinners, my bad.  What I was saying is that the game will always ignore every object for HEAT except the one that got hit.  So even if your turret is clipping inside your ship's hull the HEAT round can still spawn fragments that will immediately hit the turret.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: April 30, 2019, 02:42:33 pm »

Unfortunately I do not know the mechanics of FtD.
I merely watched a few videos.

What I do know is special canon ammo in RL.
HEAT should deal direct damage to a straight line of blocks (each block reducing it by an amount dependant on material), spawning shrapnel only if it hits a cavity before dissipating.

HESH should do little damage to blocks directly, instead scanning a 120° cone (with distance depending on power) and spawn shrapnel in every cavity it finds. The shrapnel is made of the near wall material and it's amount is reduced with increased elasticity of said material.

Of course, any block that is not solid should be considered a cavity.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: April 30, 2019, 02:49:26 pm »

That's the problem is that the beam passes through blocks without damaging them.  HEAT and HESH both deal impact damage and then produce fragments, but the "beam" doesn't do damage.  HESH creates fragments based on the inner material, so armor would create much more powerful fragments than wood, and I think it has some weird damage pattern on the exterior that favors spreading out damage along the surface rather than going deeper into the armor.  But they're both broadly similar.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 708