Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275326 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9405 on: May 20, 2019, 08:52:03 pm »

Took a few tries, but I finally beat down Deathstroke.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: May 21, 2019, 12:31:13 am »

Was fighting one of the super-fast lizards.  Managed to interrupt one of its attacks by impaling it on rawhide and swinging it around, then when the animation finished and Nero slammed it into the ground I

Spoiler: mild spoilers (click to show/hide)

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:17 am »

I was flying around in a small helicopter like thing when I decided to take out an outpost, when I arrived I decide to forgo stealth and bomb it from the helicopter with a grenade launcher, this is when I discovered that the AI can't look up so they all run around looking for me while I bomb them from above and when I finished my bombing run and killed the outpost I was awarded with bonus XP for being undetected, because nothing says stealth like a guy in a helicopter shooting you with a grenade launcher.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: May 22, 2019, 05:19:15 pm »

Just won my first game of Really Bad Chess!
Also in some weird, bootleg mobile Counter Strike I was playing before that, I managed to somehow get gud at its previously impossible-seeming gameplay and ran about slaughtering the identical clones on the other team with a shotgun.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: May 24, 2019, 12:06:01 am »

Also in some weird, bootleg mobile Counter Strike I was playing before that, I managed to somehow get gud at its previously impossible-seeming gameplay and ran about slaughtering the identical clones on the other team with a shotgun.

Is it Standoff by any chance? My cousin's little brother plays that a lot.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: May 24, 2019, 05:31:06 am »

Received a notification that a rival colony was about to achieve a milestone: Research Breakthrough, before I was. I had a Breakthrough(powerful techs that only become available through random events) queued up, but even with spending $1 billion in outsourcing I probably wasn't going to make it. I still put the tech at the front of the queue.

Then a random event gives me a choice of 25 polymer(a decent amount) or 2500 research. The Breakthrough I researching was already about 25% done, and cost 2000 research total. Of course, I took the research bonus. Finished the Breakthrough, and the remainder from the event plus the bonus from the milestone finished the tech I was originally researching and gave me decent progress towards the next.

Also, said Breakthrough was Landscaping Nanites, a pretty nifty tech that makes all terrain-altering construction(flatten, ramps) faster and be done automatically without using construction drones.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: May 24, 2019, 09:10:01 am »

Is it Standoff by any chance? My cousin's little brother plays that a lot.
It is! Odd little game. To be honest I'd probably stick with it if there was character customization...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: May 24, 2019, 01:53:14 pm »

Skyrim thread's pretty dead and this is as much Own as WTF, so here goes.

As a leadup to the final Dark Brotherhood quest, I have to assassinate the son of a guard captain as he goes on an inspection tour of Skyrim, then plant evidence that incriminates him in a fake plot.  Seems kinda iffy, but the goal is mostly to make the guard captain depressed so fine.

But if I murder him within a city the frame job will work better, somehow?  O...k...  I don't get it, but they offer me a macguffin good for one fortune reading.  Mysterious, I'll bite.

I steal his itinerary but follow him out of camp anyway, figuring I'll just pick some flowers on the way to whatever city he's headed to.  How long could it possibly take.

"Soon", I'm discarding some fairly valuable equipment to make room for more mountain-flowers when the target wanders straight into a large bandit camp.  Like, it's one of those forts build partially *over* the road, presumably for guardsmen but permanently occupied by bandits instead.  Kinda stupid, but funny enough that I'm willing to lose my bonus.  ...Ah, he's got that situational immortality like allies, where only the player can deliver the final blow.  fiiiine, I kill the bandits.  He tells me I'm creepy and to leave him alone.  (I also tried dealing the deathblow myself - the bandits reported my assault to the local authorities, heh.  I want the bonus though.)

I'm out of patience at this point and fast travel around a bit to mop up other quests.  Eventually I'm in Riften and realize he's approaching, so I wait for an hour which teleports him into the bar with me.  Quite a bit further than I expected from walking with him, but all the better.  I sneak into the pantry of the crowded bar, poke my head out, and fire a deadly poisoned arrow into his head before ducking back!  Hehe, the perfect crime!

...Frick that's less than a fifth of his health.  Curse my inoptimal leveling!  No matter, I... keep doing that.  The patrons wander around with various degrees of concern (this is Riften) but one of them accidentally wanders straight into me without raising any alarm.  Again, Riften XD  However he seems to regenerate rapidly if I let him calm down while at critical health.  Hrm.

Oh no, 20 bounty, I guess someone saw me!  He doesn't, though.  In fact he seems preoccupied assaulting... Sapphire, one of my Thieves Guildmates!  Ah, TES faction mechanics.  I think they're both essential, but just in case I snipe him another couple times as they fight.  Eventually dealing the deathblow.  Hail Sithis!

I stroll out of the bar, only to be accosted by a guard.  It's cool, I'm with the thieves guild - here's 20gp for that assault charge.  All good.

Skyrim 5: The Elder Scrolls (Normal Edition but with that one mod that fixes all the glaring script issues they don't bother to patch, and the other mod that makes the UI at all appropriate for a mouse&keyboard)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: May 25, 2019, 04:18:05 pm »

Actually beat Emerald Weapon... and wasted all 60,000 AP because everyone was using Ziedrich armors(highest defense in the game, halves all elements, but no materia slots) and their ultimate(and zero-growth) weapons. I also kinda abused the W-Item glitch to duplicate Megalixers, except it turned out I didn't need to at all.

Had a few bad attempts. Worst was queuing up Yuffie to use a Megalixer, but she never actually took her action even though a quick check before game over showed that the Megalixer was in fact taken out of stock.

Plan was to dump a lot of Power Sources into Barret, equip Missing Score an load up on a bunch of Master-leveled materia, and go in with Angermax for massive damage. Except "massive damage" was only doing around 1500 per hit(18 hits) that I probably would have better just using Catastrophe(10 hits, but a modifier triple that of Angermax). More credit goes to Cloud pulling off a few good Omnislashes, as well as a Lucky 7's.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: May 28, 2019, 05:24:55 pm »

There was an enemy camping at the top of a tower firing a ballista at our guys. So, naturally, I hack up a couple of enemies, fight my way to the tower and start climbing the ladder.

Now, this was not the usual tower-camping scum I was used to. This was VETERAN tower-camping scum, with good situational awareness. He knew I was coming up the ladder and readied his axe to whack me on the head when I tried to climb up. So I sat there. We had a lengthy exchange of emotes that ended with him telling me I should "take up farming," at which point I laughed heartily and dropped back down the ladder.

I returned, 25 seconds later, after fighting a couple more enemies. He heard my approach, but a little too late. I was parrying his overhead and was up there with him, at which point he was at a huge disadvantage. My messer was a scary weapon, to be sure, but what was really scary was my positioning, which was much, much better than his.

I parried a couple of strikes, backed him up a little, and kicked, once. He went flying off the tower and instantly died from the fall. The "This isn't Sparta" achievement popped up in the corner of my screen.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: May 29, 2019, 06:27:05 pm »

Beat a 5x crisis, although it was the Contingency and I'm pretty sure I'd call the Contingency the easiest crisis in the game right now.  Unlike the Unbidden and Prethoryn Scourge, the Contingency doesn't really get stronger with time, aside the new fleets that spawn relatively slowly compared to the others, so you can take your time to mount attacks and snipe the machine worlds.

5x Contingency has fleets in the 350K range, but by the end game I had 5 fleets of 28 battleships that added up to about 1.5 million fleet power.  I lost ships with each fight, but by focusing hard on shields to resist the Contingency's exclusive energy weapon loadouts, I usually only lost 2-3 per fight at most.  Very sustainable compared to losing that many per fleet against the Unbidden when they get new fleets several times as fast.

I'm only disappointed that I didn't get to see how the Contingency fleets would compare to my border bastions.  I was lucky and found a ruined Strategic Coordination Center, and after building a second one I could fit up to 52 defense platforms on each station.  With dark matter tech and ~30 levels of repeatables, the stations were about 350K apiece on their own.

Stellaris.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: May 29, 2019, 09:38:46 pm »

Played two rounds with my bro, both times we died at rallypoint delta after looping... on monsoon.  We make a good team it would seem.

First time I was mercenary, I got 9 tougher times (seemed to completely negate about half of incoming attacks, with the squeaky toy sound of course) 5 fuel cells and a forbidden fruit (so 6 slow charging instant half health heals).  I lasted so, so much longer than I had any right to because my damage was shit.  My poor brother had to watch like 15 minutes of me slowly slicing up magma worms.  In the end we were annihilated by a boss wave of ignited greater wisps.

Second time I was huntress and got two transcendences and two transfusions.  For over 1800 health on the squish evasive character.  In the end I died in a similar way to the previous run: shot in the back by a glacial greater wisp boss.  I actually had a good chance of winning that time, teleporter progress was at 99% and most enemies were dead, boss at half health.  I was literally just talking about how I should take my time and it would be easy and then an offscreen shot direct hit me in the back for 1300 damage.  Looked funny as hell.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: May 30, 2019, 02:47:30 pm »

After about 10 hours of endless frustration, I lucked my way into near perfect RNG and finished off the last class I needed for a complete set of no death bonus runs at max difficulty. Also managing to take out the final boss in a single turn, setting a new personal record. It was a particularly glorious win as the RNG gave the boss otherwise OP bonuses: Deal 10% of all damage dealt at the start of your turn (self-compounding, too), gain 50% damage dealt as health, and an increasingly powerful poison effect on me.

It involved a ridiculous combo of phys damage on mana gain, fire damage when you deal phys damage, all mana cards play twice, mana cards that draw mana cards, and a deck composed of 80% mana cards. Boom.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: May 30, 2019, 05:10:00 pm »

Found my old notes back so i finally could manage an orbit without breaking anything again in my xr2 in Orbiter

During the ascension
A nice fireball, well it's actually much more safer than it looks, the temperature is still in acceptable level despite the panic i could hear from the copilot  screams.

And finally after a prograde burn to make the orbit circle, it's all right now, stable orbit achieved, happy dance, we have not turned to ashes !

Wanted to see my copilot own happiness at surviving the whole ordeal
she didn't seemed that happy.

Quick, do something to lighten the mood, that's what responsible space pilots must do

Well, she didn't find it funny :/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:15:11 pm by Robsoie »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: May 31, 2019, 10:54:54 am »

I destroyed the NOD base in mission 13 with almost no casualties.

In real time, it took only about 3 hours, not 10, but the game was sped up to max most of the time.
I used the strategy "Divide and conquer" and always built a part of sandbag wall enclosing an area next to my existing wall, then sold the piece of the wall separating the enclosure from me.

It worked much better than in AoE II, because in this game, the enemies do not attack your walls and there are infinite resources if you wait for them to propagate.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 708