Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1273061 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9510 on: September 03, 2019, 07:06:43 pm »

Things got interesting for a bit. A random event about ice meteors(aren't those just comets?) flying by my MDS lasers happened, and while I was setting up for that, I get early warning of toxic rains. Then the ice meteors arrive and I get a choice between 0.25% atmospheric terraforming/per MDS+meteor storm or 0.3%/per MDS+a bigger meteor storm or do nothing. I pick 0.3%(and wish I knew about the choice earlier). The meteor storm is centered around my main water production area... which I forgot to cover in anti-meteor lasers. I quickly fix that, but then an expedition I sent finds a rover with a black box, which in turn was a Nigerian Prince scam that the colony scientists fell for, costing me 20% of my already limited funding.

On the other hand, the only damage the meteors caused was a single water extractor and some pipe, the toxic rains did nothing but shut down the foresters for a day, and I've started the tourism industry. Terraforming is coming along decently, except forestation, but that's always a pain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: September 07, 2019, 07:34:31 pm »

I killed Absalom in survival mode with a combat knife. I barely fucking made it, if I hadn't managed to disarm him he'd have probably killed me. I had VATS defense on for most of the fight and he still took me down to a quarter of my health.

You bet your ass I took all his combat armour.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: September 07, 2019, 11:17:36 pm »

bought a new mining ship with an slightly different setup to try and tank the local ganker in the system, ended outsmarting another player who tried to gank me in a frigate; i guess the setup is working but this wasnt the size of ship was planning to go against.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: September 08, 2019, 10:27:02 am »

In X-com Piratez, I took out my first base successfully, and brought almost all of the hostages back alive (making me stupid amounts of money). The prize was the Academy Provost, who got double-teamed by my bugeyes. I also got my first gauss weapons that way, so I'm on my way to unlocking end-game tech.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9514 on: September 08, 2019, 04:31:21 pm »

Spoiler: MARS IS GREEN (click to show/hide)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: September 10, 2019, 10:31:27 am »

I finally beat Planescape: Torment. I feel like I experienced most things that could be experienced without exploring every single nook and cranny, and more importantly, I remained blissfully unspoiled all the way through. Every surprise was genuine, every secret was really a secret. That is an exceedingly rare accomplishment for me, given how often I skip over games in favor of reading TVTropes or watching a let's-play, only to experience them for myself years later.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:34:33 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: September 10, 2019, 11:10:35 am »

But you already terraformed Mars. Couldn't they just go outside and breathe the atmospheric oxygen that was there?

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: September 10, 2019, 11:22:30 am »

I finally beat Planescape: Torment. I feel like I experienced most things that could be experienced without exploring every single nook and cranny, and more importantly, I remained blissfully unspoiled all the way through. Every surprise was genuine, every secret was really a secret. That is an exceedingly rare accomplishment for me, given how often I skip over games in favor of reading TVTropes or watching a let's-play, only to experience them for myself years later.

I hear the evil playthrough is a bit brutal. It's not cartoony evil, it's really leaning in to being a manipulative douche bag. The special weapon that changes based on your alignment is best at lawful good, but it's only one weapon.

And for my own...er...own: I stopped a landed very large ship in X-com (piratez) from building a base. Reticulan (hybrids who were abandoned and now live in post-apoc Earth) plasma and sledgehammers can take down almost anything. I didn't even kill the guildmaster. Looks like my Shadowbat can also take down one of their landed medium ships.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:27:39 am by Iduno »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: September 10, 2019, 11:56:58 am »

But you already terraformed Mars. Couldn't they just go outside and breathe the atmospheric oxygen that was there?
But who wants to breathe when you can exercise?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9519 on: September 10, 2019, 04:50:00 pm »

Do note that there's a constant loss of atmosphere due(presumably) to solar wind. Earth is(mostly) protected due to it's magnetic field, while Mars does not have one. Here, you have to build magnetic shield generators(or launch some into orbit) to prevent this. Turning these off, as well as the carbonate processors which increase atmospheric density, will result in the atmosphere being stripped away. Breathable air on Mars requires a 95% atmospheric rating(the point which it's not breathable is a little lower), and the air becomes unbreathable in about 5-6 sols from 100%. In fact, atmosphere is the only terraforming rating that can go down.

As a side note, I'm actually surprised that making the Martian air breathable only requires atmospheric density and 50% temperature. Since the primary way of increasing atmospheric density comes from carbonate processors, the bulk of the atmosphere should be carbon dioxide. Oxygen in the air would come from vegetation breathing CO2 and exhaling O2, as it does on Earth, yet you do not need any vegetation terraforming to breathe. Maybe everyone is like Jenkins and taught themselves to breathe carbon dioxide.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: September 11, 2019, 09:19:07 am »

I completed a terror mission at night with only 10 soldiers against 5 cyberdiscs and a smattering of sectoids, and not only did I not lose anyone I even managed to save enough civilians to get a positive score.  It took a while but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of XCOM Classic.

Having researched and made personal armor and laser weapons for everyone also definitely helps...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9521 on: September 11, 2019, 02:00:16 pm »

I completed a terror mission at night with only 10 soldiers against 5 cyberdiscs and a smattering of sectoids, and not only did I not lose anyone I even managed to save enough civilians to get a positive score.  It took a while but I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of XCOM Classic.

Having researched and made personal armor and laser weapons for everyone also definitely helps...

Yeah, sounds like you've got the research you need to proceed. I mostly played TFTD (and poorly), but I remember flying armor was great in the original.

In X-com Piratez, I took out my first base successfully, and brought almost all of the hostages back alive (making me stupid amounts of money). The prize was the Academy Provost, who got double-teamed by my bugeyes. I also got my first gauss weapons that way, so I'm on my way to unlocking end-game tech.

Update on that: I got the very large ship, missed the medium ship, left the site of a large ship with the Shadowbat when I noticed I didn't have the right weapons in it, and got 2-3 large ships with the Fortuna. I brought back enough hostages to catch up on guild tech and have slaves left over (and steal power armor parts from the bodyguards).

The landed ships have a lot of people. The last ship I hit had 18 outside, including 2 bodyguards in power armor. One Bodyguard took a reticulan plasma crit to the back, killing him. A marsec operator got mind controlled through bugeye teamwork, chucked a hellerium grenade into a crowd of 4 (1 died, 2 wounded and eventually healed, 1 injured but standing), then got deleted with a gauss reaction shot by one of his teammates. I got two knocked out, and 4-5 were prevented from shooting effectively by gals getting into melee. I took 1 wounded gal that round (ended up with half of them in medical by the end of the mission), but 2 more guards were shot by their friends and got patched back up. Down to 9 opponents from 18 on the first round. The other bodyguard was a live capture, but only surrendered after everyone else was down. Most of the other ships were indoor fighting, so I could use doors to my advantage.

I love the mechanic that you can make a reaction check to prevent someone next to you from shooting the correct direction. Although it takes energy, and chainmail means I'm running low on that (and atom beers) by the end of a mission.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: September 12, 2019, 01:59:44 am »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834782
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834793
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834826

Got pretty dang drunk bettween, between mission 2 and mission 3.  Managed to pull it off anyway though, despite everyone being shielded and buying no equipment.

Top fifth percentile, can't complain: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834861

Heat Signature
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: September 12, 2019, 08:14:51 am »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834782
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834793
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834826

Got pretty dang drunk bettween, between mission 2 and mission 3.  Managed to pull it off anyway though, despite everyone being shielded and buying no equipment.

Top fifth percentile, can't complain: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860834861

Heat Signature

I made second place (?) once. Because I died before most people finished. For a game that feels like it's easy, it's pretty tough to actually do well. Congrats.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9524 on: September 12, 2019, 12:37:22 pm »

Subverting the teleporter on target-flees missions almost feels like cheating sometimes, but as long as Defenders exist I'm okay with such tactics.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 708