Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1260417 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9585 on: October 12, 2019, 03:50:19 pm »

5e got rid of the concept of "touch attacks" AFAIK, so heavy armor works just as well as dexterity against incorporeal attacks.  A "melee spell attack" apparently, in the banshee's case.

I don't know much about the campaign either, but I think it's Ravenloft, a place which toys with "heroes" - divine spellcasters especially.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: October 12, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »

5e got rid of the concept of "touch attacks" AFAIK, so heavy armor works just as well as dexterity against incorporeal attacks.  A "melee spell attack" apparently, in the banshee's case.

I don't know much about the campaign either, but I think it's Ravenloft, a place which toys with "heroes" - divine spellcasters especially.

Wouldn't an incorporeal attack ignore non-magical armor, still? I don't know about 5e but that would make sense. I could see a magical attack taking armor into account, since if you get hit in the chest with a magic missile or whatnot the impact would be logically lessened by armor.

I want to learn about 5e, you see.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: October 12, 2019, 05:17:30 pm »

Not to interrupt the discussion, but here's an own.

I've managed to finish yet another game in my backlog, thus making october the backlog-cleaning month. In this case it was Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight (yes, that is the full title). A very nice touch is that the final boss will actually try to run away in panic once he is two hits from death.

Onwards to the expansion.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: October 12, 2019, 06:23:07 pm »

Ah, the live action cutscenes. That takes me back.

The expac has a freeze gun.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: October 12, 2019, 06:26:08 pm »

Y'know what the expack doesn't have? Live action cutscenes. I am sad right now.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: October 12, 2019, 06:35:40 pm »

Y'know what the expack doesn't have? Live action cutscenes. I am sad right now.

No. Same :(

It was the end of an era for those cutscenes. But if you compare Jedi Knight to it's contemporaries like, say, Resident Evil, it was leagues ahead in quality. To be fair the RE1 intro was legendary for being comically terrible.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: October 12, 2019, 09:08:15 pm »

That was rather the point. It is continued, mostly by Barry, in the game as well, specifically the “master of unlocking” and “you were almost a Jill sandwich!” lines.

It was an utter travesty that those lines were either changed or completely removed in the REmake.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: October 12, 2019, 11:03:32 pm »

100% completed Banjo-Tooie and beat the final boss with full health.

Of course, that was because I was using the honeyback cheat from Cheato, which made the game almost insultingly easy, but after working my butt off to get that cheat I couldn't really bring myself to care anymore.  Anything that removed tedium from this game was worth it.  It also made the cheat for getting 25 pages kind of stupid in comparison, since all that did was enable the ability to listen to the game's music.

Plus, the real difficulty with the game was finding all of the hidden stuff, and it only made enemies [mostly] irrelevant without making it any easier to find stuff.  On that note, I never did figure out what my reward was for getting 90 jiggies.  Jamjars told me it was something on the main menu, but nothing obvious jumped out at me.

I'm glad I played the game, but I'm also glad I'm done with it...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: October 13, 2019, 02:03:19 am »

100% completed Banjo-Tooie and beat the final boss with full health.

Of course, that was because I was using the honeyback cheat from Cheato, which made the game almost insultingly easy, but after working my butt off to get that cheat I couldn't really bring myself to care anymore.  Anything that removed tedium from this game was worth it.  It also made the cheat for getting 25 pages kind of stupid in comparison, since all that did was enable the ability to listen to the game's music.

Plus, the real difficulty with the game was finding all of the hidden stuff, and it only made enemies [mostly] irrelevant without making it any easier to find stuff.  On that note, I never did figure out what my reward was for getting 90 jiggies.  Jamjars told me it was something on the main menu, but nothing obvious jumped out at me.

I'm glad I played the game, but I'm also glad I'm done with it...

Quote from: GameFAQ forum
You unlocked the character parade. Exit the game, and on the file select screen go to the yellow box (which allows you to view replays of certain cutscenes) and scroll to the bottom.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: October 13, 2019, 11:33:17 am »

Today in Teneb finishes yet another game: Dusk. It was pretty good, and I really liked the final boss.

Truly this is the backlog month.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: October 13, 2019, 03:13:47 pm »

I didn't get brutally murdered in Death House on Curse of Strahd 5e as a Lawful Good Scourge Aasimar Paladin.
You got non-brutally murdered?
I don't have the context for why this is an Own.

The whole campaign is basically made of moral dilemmas and my DM is pretty strict about Paladins resolving moral dilemmas.

Death House doesn't have many moral dilemmas in it (and we actually skipped 90% of it accidentally) but it does have lots of shades that can do permanent 2d6+3 hp damage. I got hit once and was dropped to 7hp, thankfully non permanent because saved.

I was also the only person to deal damage to anything. After I got hit, the rest of the caster-heavy and extremely fragile party decided discretion was the better part of valor.

Speaking of, they're mostly evil or neutral so I'm lucky I didn't get Eldritch Blasted at the beginning.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: October 14, 2019, 05:42:14 pm »

Finally completed a run as the Thief, and the Thief's Big Quest.

As has tended to happen when I'm playing other stealth games, the game became less about sneakybeaky tactics and much more about shooting folk.

Threatened the Mayor for his hat (which was a 54% chance AND I had multiple ranged weapons, a guns skill of 3/4, and a resurrection status effect gained from Resurrection Shampoo in the slums), and proceeded to make a speech on how pants pockets should be a lot floppier.

I should play more of this weird, wonderful game, even if I've spent most of my time destroying its randomly-generated towns rather than interacting with them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: October 16, 2019, 05:41:09 am »

Built a submarine that can actually dive. The problem with my last attempt many months ago was I encased the entire ship in rubber blocks - rubber has the lowest detection rating of all blocks, at least back when the editor showed detection stats. The problem is that rubber is also buoyant enough to prevent diving. This time I only encased the top half in rubber, since submarine is really only going to be spotted from above anyway.

It works. Not only does it float on the surface, but I've got it set to dive when an enemy is present. That required figuring out the new PID interface. I successfully carried out a manual torpedo attack on a Marauder. I had to do it partially surfaced, since I was pressed for time and all I used was a camera for detection(which don't seem to work underwater).

Definitely needs some more work, but it's my most complicated working build yet.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: October 18, 2019, 09:34:28 am »

Nice!  I’ve never been able to figure subs out (they use... hydrofoils...for something?  IDK).

Torpedo sonar can acquire targets on its own.  If you want the AI to shoot your only options are passive sonar, active sonar, or an above-water spotter equipped with that device that shares targeting data.  IIRC nothing else works submerged.

My preferred missile design right now is a medium missile with a single fuel tank and fin, long as you want with at least 2 ejectors.  You have to line it up almost directly but it hits like a truck (especially submerged with explosive warheads).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: October 18, 2019, 07:18:14 pm »

Completed Dead Man's Switch.

So, uh... Now what?

Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 708