Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1271728 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9630 on: November 07, 2019, 09:18:41 am »

Wait does this mean our characters can escape the cycle of life and death?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Whale_(game)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: November 10, 2019, 02:07:50 am »

I was irrationally happy to make a mind controlled sectoid stand in fire until it died.

Psionics in X-COM classic are just completely broken.  I went from getting trashed by ethereals to roflstomping them without even getting shot at by just mind controlling one, mind controlling its buddy that it just spotted, and repeating the process until I ran out of aliens to spot.  Then I either had them shoot each other, drop their guns or sit on their own grenades.

I think the ability to drop their equipment is new to Open X-COM, or at least required an exploit in the original game.  Didn't you have to open a soldier's inventory and scroll through the soldier list to get to mind controlled aliens in the original game?

Either way, I think at the end of this game month, I'll try the Cydonia mission.  I can almost fill an Avenger with troops with 70+ psi strength, which at this point I'm expecting will be insane overkill.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: November 10, 2019, 11:59:12 am »

I think the ability to drop their equipment is new to Open X-COM, or at least required an exploit in the original game.  Didn't you have to open a soldier's inventory and scroll through the soldier list to get to mind controlled aliens in the original game?

That's what I remember.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9633 on: November 11, 2019, 01:21:05 am »

I can almost fill an Avenger with troops with 70+ psi strength, which at this point I'm expecting will be insane overkill.

I was correct.  I beat the final mission with the only losses being 2 plasma hovertanks, which were lost to cyberdiscs on the surface of Mars.  I managed to clear out all of the sectoids with a couple of soldiers acting as scouts, then the rest in the Avenger mind controlling them and shooting their buddies or sitting on grenades.  Mind controlling a few cyberdiscs was fun too.

The underground base part of the mission was hilarious.  On the second turn I spotted a chyrssalid, which I mind controlled, and ran it around and into the first door I found.  Ethereal inside.  Mind control and it's mine.  I shoot another ethereal it spotted, then send it up an elevator shaft.  Boom, alien brain.  With the vision into the room, I mind controlled another ethereal and heavy plasmaed the alien brain.  Won the mission on the third turn with no losses.

Psionics are ridiculous.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: November 11, 2019, 04:24:04 am »

Psionics are ridiculous.
Yup, and I'd say they're also one of the weaker parts of the original game specifically because of how ridiculous they are...

Apocalypse turned things around a bit by making psi stuff both more and less ridiculous. You're limited in scope and power of the psi powers you can use, even with specialized hybrid human-sectoid agents equipped with buggy equipment that was technically removed from the game before release, while the aliens get obscene psi defenses and special assholes that can do as much berserking and mind controlling as they want...

...unless you're using android agents, which are completely 100% immune to psionics of all kinds. And brainsuckers.

I believe Xenonauts made the system a little more sensible, but I never really got to the point of widespread psionics on either side of the battle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: November 11, 2019, 01:02:42 pm »

Xenonauts, well:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: November 12, 2019, 09:50:43 am »

I played some more Slay the Spire ascension mode (which is less ridiculous fun than daily runs that aren't the one that puts infinite random cards on the bottom of your deck).

I went from ascension 5 to 7 on the Ironclad, which I haven't played much of since the Defect came out. The monk character (which is still in beta?) got me interested in the primary damage-dealing character (haha, lies! I won with barricade/body slam decks with +strength and reaper both times) again.

Reaper is wild with multiple enemies and strength increases. I was going from full health to half health back to full in several fights. Donu and Square-o put up a decent enough fight, usually taking down 80% of my shields with a single hit (and they both hit twice), but once Donu went down, they had no chance.

It's a fun game, but the relics and cards both vary wildly in usefulness, and combos can get insane if you're lucky enough to pick them up. The "nice" thing about ascensions is you're dead against the first boss/one of the elites if you don't get something useful by then, assuming you also fought any elites to pick up relics.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: November 12, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »

I finally got the... best... ending?  The most difficult one in normal mode, anyway.  I still love that I originally stumbled across a much nicer ending which was apparently semi-secret, and assumed I'd been at the end of the game.

Anyway, the "final boss" sure is a lot easier with charge shots.  I only started using them in practice mode to get my times down, weeks ago, then finally went back and tried them in the actual game.  They punch through seemingly impenetrable defenses, almost like the tutorial tried to teach me.  oops.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: November 13, 2019, 04:15:54 pm »

I defeated the half-demon Alkothi and even got an achievement for it!

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9639 on: November 17, 2019, 07:45:20 am »

Generally, my Federation Cruiser runs aren't that good, and usually I lose by sector 3 or 4.

This time, at Sector 5, I had little hull left and no real weapons beyond the piddly cruiser beam. Stores I encountered also mocked me with lack of weapons or weapons that were crap or needed way too much reactor power.

So I decided to just buy Cloaking system and use it to give cruiser beam time to load.

Turns out this investment plan was the best I had in a while. Cruiser beam + cloak combo carried me even through 3 or 4 shield enemy ships, and by Sector 7 I also had Flak mk1 and Halberd beam.

Flagship, I thought, would be mad hard to beat, and I thought I will die.

Nope! My ship lost 3 hull in first phase, and got barely scratched in 2nd and 3rd phases. The fact that the Flagship has so many rooms probably helped a lot for Cruiser Beam to deal damage through the shields.

SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: November 20, 2019, 02:41:18 pm »

Gloomhaven, so as few spoilers as I can manage while telling a story. We misread/understood the setup the first 2 times, so we lost. Third time we did well.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: November 20, 2019, 04:10:04 pm »

Managed to clear Durathread factory, catch a Red Dawn Coordinator and a few Red Dawn soldiers, all without losing a single agent.
It turns out, that coordinators are just as flamable as their underlings.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: November 20, 2019, 06:14:04 pm »

Finished Book of Demons just now, and without dying either!

It's a nice enough game, even if it only gets difficult (and boy, does it spike when that happens) in the last third of it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: November 20, 2019, 07:44:46 pm »

Finally got enough of a set to actually be able to use the full set bonus and blast my way through things on Torment 10.

I also believe I have another item that will double that set bonus, and I have other sets such that I can use the partial set bonus to either bolster the full set bonus from the other one, or increase my defense so I don’t get gibbed every time I come across a particularly unpleasant group of enemies.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: November 24, 2019, 01:54:28 pm »

I would normally be pretty damn angry that my scouts somehow failed to see the giant snake creature that the enemy literally worships as a god as I probably would not have attacked if I knew it was there.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 708