Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1271534 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9645 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:59 pm »

i did it because i thought i was balls to the wall donkey insane but-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

disco elysium. if you are patient with reading, its a goddamn great game.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: November 28, 2019, 09:16:04 am »

Beat down the AI before it could pull any dickery*

Played as ME Ulm on a small map. Used their better-equipped troops to push past independents and seize territory as quickly as possible. The other side, playing as Norsemen(or its equivalent in this game), tried to do the same. When the inevitable contact occurred, they just couldn't get past the pikes. Quick maneuvers against poorly-defended territories followed by a general wide invasion gave more than half the territory on the single continent. A few large invasions on their end were pushed back hard by the men in Blacksteel armor, causing enemy casualties in numbers several times the size of my total army. Once *I* eventually awoke, I started adding summoned ogres to the army, since I had an abundance of Earth gems(due to being Ulm, whose capital has +5/turn generation).

The only setbacks were their attempts to assassinate my commanders. They first killed off my most experienced commander, but he was quickly replaced by a heroine who was already heading to the front; she took over his original army. A few times they tried to assassinate me directly... except I'm a goddamned demi-lich and they only managed to wound me with a disease. Which might be a bug since demi-liches, as undead, should be immune to disease. The same assassin got a few of my researchers, and I never did root the bastard out. Another assassin tried a hit on a Black Knight, and ran right into his lance.

Eventually laid siege to their capital, broke in, and killed everyone including their god, Gere the Son of Fenror.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: November 29, 2019, 07:20:12 pm »

I was supposed to snatch an item from a chest in a compound, but I was playing a doctor run (pacifist) and my bag of tricks wasn't coming up with a whole lot of goodness.

There were two guards wandering around inside, and the layout was extremely unhelpful for trying to avoid detection thanks to some long hallways packed to the brim with off-rhythm traps. I was out of wall-passers, and I knew I'd only be able to use the doorbell trick to take out one of the guards... The other would turn hostile if I tried to pull it on him, provided they even attempted to make it through the hallway o' death to answer the door.

There was an air vent though, so I had the option of sticking something into circulation... However, I was basically only carrying health, poison and speed syringes, none of which would get me a one-stop pass into the building, and the poison would even potentially kill the poor bastards and count them as murders, thereby ruining my pacifist run.

But then I saw another chem I was dragging around... A giantizer pill. Pretty much the best combat buff in the game, but since I wasn't going to be fighting much of anyone, its primary usage was kinda wasted on me. I dropped it into the air vent.

The guys inside got caught in the smoke spray, grew massive, and started trying to evacuate the building in standard fire drill procedure... Except, being as big as they were, they were annihilating all the walls and bumping into every trap. One fellow managed to get himself squished into a meat smear after stepping on the generator and making it blow up, while the other got burned a couple times before managing to get out of the building... At which point he calmly walked around the perimeter of the building to the designated gathering spot, nonchalantly breaking down the entire northern outside wall of the compound.

When the dust and smoke finally settled, I had a perfect entrance into the chest room, the lasers guarding it had gotten stepped on and smashed, one of the guards had turned into a fine red paste and the other was lightly fried and had returned to his normal patrol route, which was now no longer on my path to the item and therefore inconsequential.

I slipped in, got the stuff, and left on my merry way; the guard being none the wiser as to what had transpired. And the casualty wasn't counted as being caused by me, since all I did was give him a friendly buff... It was his own fault for getting caught in as many burners and smashers and explosions as he did.

Quite pleased with how using an extremely potent offensive buff on an enemy ended up giving me a perfect heist.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: November 30, 2019, 07:36:50 am »

In my wanderings I came across one of the refugee centers and I decided to clear out the back room of zombies before I even went inside, and I was greeted by the sight of at least thirty to forty zombies breaking out of the building, I decided to soften them up by throwing my three grenades into the crowd, then use my two 40mm frag rounds to kill the stragglers, but that only drew the rest of the horde out and I ended up fighting most of those with a sword while they crawl over a dead car, and that went on for a bit before my health started getting low so I started shooting them with a shotgun and pistols, and eventfully I got inside the building and cleared it out, then I had to go around and destroy the corpses to keep them from getting back up.

When everything was said and done I only had four HP left on my torso and over one hundred dead zombies, the amount of loot I got from doing all of that wasn't worth it neither was the reward I got from the merchant, but at least I lived through all of it.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: December 02, 2019, 05:00:27 pm »

After a military coup took over in Nicaragua in 1936*, I took to funding an illegal insurrection* and an extended foreign policy of opposing their government. Kept that on for about a year, until March 1, 1937, when we had a mutual casus belli of over 70%, then I declared war. About two weeks later, 9 battalions* of US Marines landed at Bluefields, because I had completely failed to notice a sea port not that far from their capital of Managua on the opposite side of the isthmus.

Half of them(the other half was securing another port far away from anything recognized as civilization) crossed half the width of the country before meeting any kind of resistance. Despite being completely without supplies because I don't know how the mechanics work, and apparently armed only with flamethrowers* against soldiers with presumably WWI-era rifles, the enemy was rapidly destroyed.

Turned out that was their entire army, the rest of the country fell swiftly, and turned into a US colony. The war lasted a month and a half. Total losses: 48 US, 3254 Nicaragua. Pretty sure I'm USA-ing correctly.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: December 02, 2019, 09:22:30 pm »

Unlocked the Scion in Gods of the Fallen Land. I'll avoid spoiler 'cause even I'm not entirely sure what the hell just happened, but holy shit that is how you do a boss fight. Not encountered many victory conditions that satisfy. This game does not fuck around.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: December 03, 2019, 06:58:55 pm »

Absolutely cheesed the fight against

using a combination of Defender's Crest, Glowing Womb, Weaversong, and Grubsong, and staying in the top corner of the room by holding the charge for a super dash on the wall without actually launching. Defender's Crest keeps you safe from anything that you can hit you, Defender's Crest+Glowing Womb gives you suicide bombers with a bit of DoT, Weaversong+Grubsong gives you an inexhaustible supply of soul to keep spawning the suicide bombers.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: December 03, 2019, 09:38:57 pm »

I don't remember the name of it, but for that fight I used the charm that gave you a constant cloud of poison. It killed the boss' spawns without too much trouble allowing me to concentrate on the main bug. Your tactic seems a lot more complicated.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: December 03, 2019, 09:57:28 pm »

I don't remember the name of it, but for that fight I used the charm that gave you a constant cloud of poison. It killed the boss' spawns without too much trouble allowing me to concentrate on the main bug. Your tactic seems a lot more complicated.

Constant cloud would be the Defender's Crest charm, yeah. It's not that complicated just sitting near the ceiling for several minutes whilst your little baby spiders and suicide bombers fight the boss for you.

It tried just using the Crest, but I had trouble keeping focus on my position relative to the boss. It also didn't reform fast enough when dodging, so some of the spawns hit me through it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: December 10, 2019, 01:05:50 pm »

Outnumbered and outgunned in a dead-end alley, I discovered the true way of the pixelated warrior.   
That's right, stomp on their heads. Who needs a ridiculous arsenal of 16-bit weaponry when with a bit of practice (and a steady diet of pizza, fermented milk and soda pop for added "heft") you can just chain butt-slams across a whole crowd of enemies? Considering the world's top-down perspective they really can't do shit to an airborne target anyway, no matter how heavily-armed they may be - or at least it seems that way. Maybe my flying ass just caught them by surprise.   

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: December 11, 2019, 09:56:03 am »

Beat Leon in Pokemon Shield on my first try without needing to dynamax.  Normally I wouldn't consider that much of an achievement, but my friend that's into competitive Pokemon battles lost to him on the first try.  Of course, I mostly won because I was relying on 3 massively overleveled pokemon, including a level 84 rapidash, a level 82 corviknight and a level 77 raichu.

Leon did manage to knock out the raichu, so I ended up using a max revive in the fight, but if I had dynamaxed when he did it wouldn't have been needed.  It was amusing to just one punch thunder punch his gigantic charizard into the dust though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: December 12, 2019, 06:00:47 pm »

Playing Void Destroyer 2 as Spess Pyret

Going through plot missions, I eventually got a free starting base, which means IMMENSE price cuts for ship building (for faction ships that base can build). Unfortunately, this particular faction lacks ships larger than light frigates. What they do have is loads and loads of Dakka, enough Dakka to blank out the sun.

But before I could consider any of that, I needed to assess my finances. Considering I had exactly 1 corvette flagship, a half dozen capture frigates, and a smattering strike craft with exactly 3.4 million to my name; and a basic destroyer costs well over 100 million; something clearly had to be done.

As a spais pierit, I didn't really have any trading options, as most of my fortune was made shaking down random traders and they apparently take offense to that. What spays poirets do have however, is a narcotics market (just add water). So I captured a bunch of traders and went on to become a stellar smack smuggler. While my initial fortune was spent on getting a group of mining ships to feed my base ore (and provide a small profit).

Now apparently while I was getting my domestic dank dealership set up, my base had defaulted to building a defense fleet of whatever it could; mostly fighters and gunships; and they had quickly filled up base storage. And when I finally wanted to build larger ships, I had to empty out the base's hangars.

I couldn't just keep them in the fleet since upkeep costs, and scrapping them down would be a waste of money. So I did what any zpais pairyt would do and paired up with my capture fleet to go attack something. I ended up attacking a rival speyz peyerot base.

So on one side me: 1 corvette flagship, 6 capture frigates, 16 drone corvettes, and fighter/gunship swarm.
On the other side: 5 destroyers, 14 frigates, 66 corvetes, and fighter/gunship support.

Drone corvettes go first and immediately drop their chainsaw drones, followed by strike craft, followed by me. Drone corvettes fall back due to no weapons and capture frigates... do capture frigate stuff.

Enemy strike craft chases the drones and immediately gets chewed up by Fswarm, and then get stonewalled by corvettes. This particular pirate clan's corvettes either come in 6-fighter drone support or undodgeable laser beams so the Fswarm starts taking major losses. On the other hand, the Fswarm has dakka, chaingun with chaingun turret, dual chainguns, triple chainguns with plasma throwers, quad chainguns with big chaingun.

There are actually so many projectiles in the air that the game drops to the teens in frames, even in tactical mode which hides projectiles. After a couple of minutes of this we finally get through the corvettes, but then hit another issue in that bullet based weapons vs armor. Armor is a flat drop in damage, so chainguns with high bullet count with low damage gets countered hard.

Thankfully, the chainsaw drones who were largely untouched by the fighters and corvettes reach the frigates and immediately start tearing them up. There are actually so many chainsaw drones that they ran out of places to stick to. Together with the remaining plasma throwers the frigates are cut to pieces.

That left the five destroyers, chainguns do next to nothing against them due to lolarmor. So I tell the capture frigates to launch their boarding shuttles. I get enough of them in there to capture two destroyers, who turn on their former colleagues. One is destroyed, but the second just barely survives the destruction of the remaining destroyers.

Basically the entirety of the Fswarm is lost, but the rest is untouched. I make it out with one yoinked destroyer, thus actually gaining a net profit ship-cost wise, and a new base.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 06:19:36 pm by Blaze »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: December 12, 2019, 07:08:23 pm »

It's the spoish poireet life for you matey.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: December 13, 2019, 12:24:13 pm »

Just finished off the final mission in New Game+ for Prototype 2, earning me the last of the achievements. I'm just thankful the game actually worked that way, so the achievement for beating the game on "Hard" still procs even if you are, in fact, technically playing on Insane.

This accomplishment of course meant having to go through the FUCKING AWFUL final boss fight, which is half QTEs and half blatant, inconsistent cheating. Also, as with the rest of the game, you're only fighting the boss as much as you're fighting your own controls, with the occasional frustrated expletive hurled at the camera whenever it decides to forget what it was doing and wander off.

Will I actually be able to accept these achievements as a sign of having done something noteworthy? ...nah, probably not. It's not exactly a difficult game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: December 15, 2019, 05:46:34 pm »

Due mainly to poor design(as I built it myself), I was able to break into a remote armory without difficulty - apparently the guards will just open security doors for you if you ask nicely. Grabbing some guns, I went on a killing spree that triggered a small riot elsewhere. I almost escaped solo, but was finally brought down just outside the main gate. I gained 699 rep points from the battle. Used one to skip the 600hr solitary confinement.

Used some of the rest to recruit a squad, upgrade them, then waltzed back into the same armory as before - apparently the guards will open the a security door to an armory for the same guy who used the same armory to murder dozens of their peers just moments before if you ask nicely. Somewhat dismayed that my goons wouldn't just loot guns, I still went on the attack. During the ensuing battle, I managed to escape out the visitor's entrance(not before killing a parole officer and lawyer), and even got at least 5 of the guys I recruited out to freedom as well. The rest were brought down by the riot cops who otherwise walked right past us into the visitor's entrance.

Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 708