Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275448 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9780 on: April 02, 2020, 05:59:42 am »

Can't believe i just got 5 stars (with the barbarian class) on the noxious marsh scenario, it destroyed so many of my attempts, so much luck in shop (and tons of gold from lucky chests that add in the end score bonus) it seemed like something impossible to redo for usually unlucky me :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't want to imagine what that this scenario must be in hard mode

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: April 02, 2020, 11:50:16 am »

Can't believe i just got 5 stars (with the barbarian class) on the noxious marsh scenario, it destroyed so many of my attempts, so much luck in shop (and tons of gold from lucky chests that add in the end score bonus) it seemed like something impossible to redo for usually unlucky me :D

I don't want to imagine what that this scenario must be in hard mode

I just beat it twice, back to back, taking only streak bonuses. 4 stars each time (still not sure this fits better here than loss, but...). Just breaks my heart to miss that last star. Coincidentally, also with Barbarian.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:29:35 pm by Iduno »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: April 02, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »

As prep for playing XCOM 2 for the first time, I beat XCOM:EU on Classic for the first time, and even got the achievement for beating the game without buying a squad size upgrade.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: April 02, 2020, 06:36:24 pm »

As prep for playing XCOM 2 for the first time, I beat XCOM:EU on Classic for the first time, and even got the achievement for beating the game without buying a squad size upgrade.

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: April 02, 2020, 07:14:10 pm »

My cousin and I were playing Call of Duty on the map Rust ( a relatively small map) in the Domination game mode.

There are three positions on the map that need to be taken; being in the perimeter of the position will start capturing it, unless a member of the other team is also present. You get 1 point every 5 seconds for every position you hold. First to 200 points wins.

Our team won the game 200 - 0.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: April 05, 2020, 09:58:40 am »

Got my first Monsoon win with the Engineer (first monsoon win at all) and managed to unlock the artifact of command, which lets you choose items instead of relying on RNG. This not only makes the game easier but it also makes it way more fun to experiment with broken stuff like stacking massive attack speed or damage or move speed or infinite jumps or whatever you can think of :D

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: April 05, 2020, 11:58:22 am »

Spent most of the game thinking I was pretty much screwed. From the opposite side of the galaxy, the Torians had declared war after I refused to just hand over the entire Sol system at their demand. That's when I noticed they were flaunting Battleship and Dreadnought technology whilst I hadn't even researched Corvettes yet. That is how far behind I was. Luckily, since they were on the opposite side of the galaxy, neither of us could reach the other.

Then, something happened. I don't know exactly what. Maybe it's the other empires all deciding to send their freighters to me, giving me some decent cashflow to actually get things done. Maybe it's the fact that I picked that trait at game start that gives +25% luck, which suddenly decided to give me about a dozen free Ranger-class ships(fun combination of a Battleship and Survey Ship) over the course of several turns, meaning that I want from zero military to 3rd total just from those ships. I don't really know.

But rather quickly, I went from last in tech to way and far to the most technologically advanced empire, causing everyone else to decide to not screw with me. The only exception was a random event(prevented spying on the other empire) caused a war between me and the Drengin Empire, which ended after I nearly conquered one of their better planets while they made several failed attempts to take one of my worse ones. Even better, when they asked for peace, I demanded that planet and got it.

After that, all I did was sit back and watch the rest of the galaxy tear itself apart in pointless warfare while I went and researched Final Frontier to win the game.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: April 05, 2020, 10:43:39 pm »

Finally finished Unreal Gold, which is yet another game that had been sitting on my backlog for ages.

Damn that game was dark. Not in theme. Actually dark. Full of dark areas where I couldn't see shit and they expected me to do big combat encounters in those. It was kind of infuriating. And if I so much as dared to take any significant amount of damage in said encounters I might as well reload because it's real damn easy for enemies to just murder you thanks to their high damage output. Didn't help that most of the Skaarj enemies look exactly the same.

Well, that's done at least.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: April 08, 2020, 02:01:36 pm »

I've been replaying KOTOR. I now have enough money, that when I see an opportunity to play pazaak or racing, I just walk away. Minigames are bullshit, especially Bioware minigames (and I say that, having played FF7), but these were so bad they had to redo them for the sequel (because they're Bioware, and are physically incapable of making the decision to just get rid of bad minigames).

Just seeing the minigames there and not interacting with them is so freeing. Partly because I played them some during this run (after beating the Yavin Station salesperson 10 games out of 100, I was done forever with pazaak; I beat racing on 2 out of 3 planets, hit things on my first 3 tries on Manaan, and said fuck it).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: April 08, 2020, 03:18:31 pm »

I've been replaying KOTOR. I now have enough money, that when I see an opportunity to play pazaak or racing, I just walk away. Minigames are bullshit, especially Bioware minigames (and I say that, having played FF7), but these were so bad they had to redo them for the sequel (because they're Bioware, and are physically incapable of making the decision to just get rid of bad minigames).

Just seeing the minigames there and not interacting with them is so freeing. Partly because I played them some during this run (after beating the Yavin Station salesperson 10 games out of 100, I was done forever with pazaak; I beat racing on 2 out of 3 planets, hit things on my first 3 tries on Manaan, and said fuck it).
KotOR 2 is by Obsidian, though in their defence they had like 14 months total to make the game.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: April 08, 2020, 04:49:42 pm »

KotOR 2 is by Obsidian, though in their defence they had like 14 months total to make the game.

It's also a superior game in most ways. I'm not sure why they took out the options menu for auto-pause, decided that you can start as a Jedi but can't have a lightsaber until 1/3-1/2 way through the game, and the characters are...not always great. Also, there is an ending to KOTOR 2, which is probably where they ran short on time. The rest seems to be improvements, though. Okay, they're about equal quality, but aren't comparable in any one area.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: April 09, 2020, 05:11:55 pm »

Finally, finally finished TW: Shogun 2 as the Chosokabe (normal/normal). That's not only another game off of my backlog, but it's one that has been there since it freakin' released.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: April 09, 2020, 06:08:51 pm »

Finally, finally finished TW: Shogun 2 as the Chosokabe (normal/normal). That's not only another game off of my backlog, but it's one that has been there since it freakin' released.

It’s a difficult one to enjoy because everyone kinda inexplicably declares war on you after you get big enough, including your vassals, which was enough to make me nope out of it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: April 09, 2020, 06:22:26 pm »

It’s a difficult one to enjoy because everyone kinda inexplicably declares war on you after you get big enough, including your vassals, which was enough to make me nope out of it.
Yeah. I knew the Realm Divide was coming, so I positioned my armies to blitz the victory condition. I don't like the Realm Divide too much, though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: April 10, 2020, 09:08:27 pm »

Building up a ringworld. To do this, I'm using a large number of Planet Generators, which create a random planet anywhere around any particular star. I am also terraforming these planets to get whichever Tier-1 resources I need and whatever random Tier-2 resources I get(the T2 resource generation is the only thing I can't control). Of course, I am putting these in the system I built the ringworld. To feed these worlds, as well as the ringworld, I'm using hydroponic satellites, megafarms, hydrogenators(planet structure that gives water), and comets(activatable artifacts that permanently give a planet water). And the star itself is artificial, created in the middle of nowhere.

To reiterate, I created a star, created a ringworld around that star, and am creating several planets around the ringworld to feed resources into it, all of which are self-contained around that star. And I could in theory keep doing that again, since one planet I control(and have built up to the highest level) has a special resource that infinitely creates random artifacts around it every few minutes - this includes all those planet creation kits and the like. My energy generation is strong enough to pay for it all with ease. The only real limiter is the massive amount of ore needed for the ringworld - 25k, when the average asteroid has about 6k-8k.

On the other side of things, I found a planet with the Vast Plains resource(which isn't really a resource), strapped a planet thruster and some artillery on it and sent it around the galaxy to kill stuff.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 708