Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1272971 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9840 on: May 12, 2020, 02:00:11 pm »

Working on a relatively small(62m length) zeppelin-style airship design. So far, everything is going fine. It flies, and even has forward/backwards movement and turning controllable by both player and AI(not installed yet).

Did a combat test to see how much damage it could take before losing altitude. I spawn in a Flashheart, a missile plane normally part of the player_faction but I set it to DWG. Its missiles appear to penetrate the (alloy) outer shell of the balloon without visible damage and taking out a few of the allow plates that separate the individual helium cells. This is entirely inconsequential damage. Another missile salvo blows off part of the landing gear, but that's still inconsequential(I haven't put in controls for dropping altitude to land). Then the Flashheart crashes into the side of the airship, destroying its own engines and AI core, resulting in a kill. My own airship is still completely unarmed, and was flying backwards due to inadvertently setting the spin blocks the propellers are mounted on to spin in the wrong direction.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:

Just a few small issues before I can consider it done. First is that for some reason some of the (steam) engine components explode upon spawning in, and I don't know why. I would assume that the cranks break from overload but I can run the ship at full power and not come close to their limit. Another is the side gun turrets, which each is two 30mm assault guns on stacked turrets(one turret for azimuth, one side-mounted turret each of elevation), ignoring firing constraints to spin around and shoot directly into the ship.

The has surprising survivability. High altitude + ring shield + sloped hull means that it's actually pretty hard to penetrate even the balloon.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:15:29 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: May 13, 2020, 01:44:19 pm »

Finished my heavily modded VH/N Arkhan campaign in Mortal Empires. Was a pretty relaxing romp even if the autoresolve hates Tomb Kings almost as much as Skaven.

Total War: Warhammer II
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: May 13, 2020, 04:28:54 pm »

Ahhh, total war autoresolve . . . where the ai can be outnumbered by a factor of five and still siege down your town.

You know, when you play out that same battle manually you can win with when its you who are outnumber by a factor of almost five.

P:

for my own 'own':

I just reached 1700 in my EUIV campaign.  Tidore, an island in the Phillipines, wherein I colonied the hell out of the world.  Castile never got the PU with Aragon, but they still managed to colonize Eastern America, mexico, peru, lat plata, and columbia.

I took california, carribias, Hudson bay, Cascadia, Australia, and (oddly enough) Missouri. Brittain had Louisiana, France had Brazil, an Portugal stole tiny chunks of both carribias and lat plata.  Silly Portugal.

This was my third time through this particular country, so I had a good idea of what I wanted.  I rushed to get improved colonies, took over the phillipines with vassals, made austrailia, pushed the mandate from china and into manchu, took indonesia, conquered auyuthian molluca, bitchslapped uppity japan, found the new world, made 120 ducats a month in trade, and merc-hired my way into a gigantic new world 3 way between brittain/castile and co/me.

We did okay, we actually won.  The big problem I had was  alack of agency and my inability to micro everything.  I had to watch the homefront, mop up the errant islands that castile had colonized, staff the bottlenecks of la plata and africa, keep an eye on my privateers who were also watching for enemy transports inbound, watch a 3 way war over the entire north and central americas, keep the war goals safe, and mind the enemy movements over said area.  including 3k strong stacks skulking around conquered territory.

My professionalism was absolute zero, by choice, and I took no infantry buffing idea groups.  I could hire god to make me clay men, but I couldnt just use god.  My units were garbage by comparison.  I exaggerate:  I was on parity with my tech, but they def had stronger infantry.

Im calling it a win - since all thats left is tedium.  Ive proven I can beat 7 strong countries, so.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 04:42:11 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Chobeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: May 19, 2020, 04:55:36 am »

Playing Deep Rock Galactic, just bought a few days ago. I'm at the end of a mission, running back to the escape pod and time is running out. I got stuck with some monsters and took me a while to get rid of them. I notice that I'm ABOVE the escape pod so I do what any good Dwarf would do: I start digging. The problem is: I was above a very tall cave and I'm suddenly falling down, about to crash on the cave below and not make it to the escape pod. Another guy in my squad might have noticed what was happening and threw a zipline with his zipline gun right below me and I manage it to grab it mid air and land safely and complete the mission succesfully. Now I get it why the reviews are so fucking high on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: May 20, 2020, 03:49:11 pm »

Threw my sword at a guy, and missed. Force-pulled it back, stabbing him through the back. I used his forward momentum from the impact to connect a punch to his face. Judging from the timing of his death scream, it sounded like it was the punch that killed him.

On another kill, I activated Slow-mo and shield-bashed an archer, knocking him up against a wall. I raised my sword and stabbed him in the stomach as he fell down.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: May 21, 2020, 03:55:07 pm »

I got the “Harms Way” achievement in Dishonored, in which you have to cause 5 unintentional suicides.

The received wisdom appears to be to possess partygoers at Lady Boyle’s Last Party, but I didn’t have the possession ability at that point in the game - and fuck playing through the first 4 or so missions again just to get it for that point -  so I did it like every other ‘chievo by doing it in the last mission.

Evidently when you use Bend Time 2 to stop time when someone has their gun pointing at you, they will fire it, at which point you can possess them and walk them in front of their bullet, end the possession and end Bend Time 2 to see them shoot themselves from across the room.

Highly entertaining.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: May 21, 2020, 08:46:06 pm »

I got the “Harms Way” achievement in Dishonored, in which you have to cause 5 unintentional suicides.

The received wisdom appears to be to possess partygoers at Lady Boyle’s Last Party, but I didn’t have the possession ability at that point in the game - and fuck playing through the first 4 or so missions again just to get it for that point -  so I did it like every other ‘chievo by doing it in the last mission.

Evidently when you use Bend Time 2 to stop time when someone has their gun pointing at you, they will fire it, at which point you can possess them and walk them in front of their bullet, end the possession and end Bend Time 2 to see them shoot themselves from across the room.

Highly entertaining.

That's some Heat Signature-level BS there. Excellent work.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: May 21, 2020, 11:29:02 pm »

Highly entertaining.

That's some Heat Signature-level BS there. Excellent work.

pulls out Swapper

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: May 23, 2020, 12:56:26 pm »

Building a Shipyard(and its prerequisites, the Dock and Drydock), and using a fishing trolley to build nets on a shallows with kelp can provide a city with absurd amounts of food. That one tile alone is enough to feed about 45,000 people, and it's not even fully upgraded yet. By comparison, putting that much investment into land-based farmland would require more land, time, and workers and probably feed 10,000-15,000 people. Pop growth is partly based on how much excessive food is produced, and now I'm starting have too many workers that I can't improve the landscape fast enough to employ. Kelp is overpowered.

Also discovered a stupid trick. Lakes tiles can have fish resources on them(bonus to food), but lakes cannot build fishing trolleys(nor a Drydock/Shipyard). However, casting Raise Terrain on a lake tile, then Lower Terrain on the resulting land turns it into shallows, allowing the seaside improvements to be used. While lakes don't provide anywhere near the amount of food shallows do, they're still more useful this way. Fishing trolleys can move onto and improve lake tiles.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: May 27, 2020, 03:31:42 am »

Mathel the Squirtle, Elmerthien the Treecko and Magnetar the Magnemite went to the sky to awaken Rayquaza and stop a falling star.
They found a Link Box and also befriended a Lunatone named Mona.

When they reached Rayquaza, Mathel used the Link box on Magnetar, linking all his moves in the order Thunder Wave-> Tackle-> Sonic Boom-> Thunderbolt.
Between Mona's Hypnosis and Magnetar's Thunder Wave, Rayquaza only got one attack out, and it missed. It was beaten up in 5 turns and decided to just stop the falling star.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: May 28, 2020, 05:59:35 am »

Thousands of cycles. Hundreds of dopey little lives. Who knows how much dirt was eaten*. All in preparation for this base, achieving my first rocket launch at cycle 245**.

I started on an asteroid that I'm affectionatelyregretfully calling The Icebox: A base terrain of Rime, with the features of Glaciers, Frozen Core, and Geodes. It's cold. 333 cycles in, my residential block (including the bathrooms) are a balmy 22F. You can hear clinking noises every time they shower...

The center of my base is a much more reasonable (and, frankly, normal) 130F... mostly because I'm piping water in from 3 cool steam vents and 1 water geyser, running 10 natural gas generators, 2 electrolyzers, and 12 backup coal generators. From the hottest center of my base, it goes from 130F to 31F in 29 tiles. Trying to aim for passive diffusion sure isn't working.

*Some quick napkin math suggests 3100 tons.
**2.2% of players have this achievement.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: May 31, 2020, 11:11:26 pm »

Speccing my archer MC with some brawler/fist skill finally paid off. Last fight of an arena attempt, me and my dopey ass pickups in mostly iron armor and crap versus a team decked out in entirely mythril kit, kinda' rough to begin with, but we doin' alright, hanging in there, starting to make gains -- one of the asshole enemies promptly breaks like half my team's weapons and proceeds to try to beat my captain to death with a mythril flail.

But it's okay. Cat person ship captain promptly spends the next three turns after their bow got broken just beating. The. Shit. Out of weapon breaking flail man with their bare catman paws. End of second turn they even triggered their counter push, knocking dead man flailing even further away from the remaining fighters, apparently just so catcaptain could finish them off personally. Which they do.

So we win, after my archer catcaptain beat a man to (near) death bare handed.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: June 07, 2020, 09:31:17 am »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: June 07, 2020, 11:05:50 am »

Defeated an ADVENT battleship with 8 Human rookies in Power Armor and 4 Hybrid rookies in stormtrooper armor, losing only one soldier (human). Everyone had a turbolaser rifle, some people had plasma grenades.

At the end people were panicking from lack of sanity, but they obeyed me enough to shoot the last sectoid.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: June 09, 2020, 04:00:42 pm »

Ha ha ! It wasn't easy but finally got to the very end and took down that damned Cepheus

After learning to why that thing and its repeated high level summons seemed to never get hurt fast enough to die before my character

game : Ziggurat

edit : oh and that game has a random boss that could easily be the pinup of the month !
NSFW obviously :
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:24:42 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 708