Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1273642 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9855 on: June 10, 2020, 05:58:09 am »

1. Guarantee a 7-card starting hand with a "Discard your entire hand for 5 damage per card."
2. Heal 3 damage per discarded card.
3. Deal 5 damage per discarded card.

Have 12 stacks of #2, 19 stacks of #3. (216 healing and 570 damage.) Oh, and only 120hp anyways.

...I maaaaaay have pulverized the final boss in two turns.
Spoiler: Game spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Title (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: June 11, 2020, 09:53:40 am »

Discovered, first accidentally, then confirmed intentionally, that you can grab an enemy by their wrist and force them to stab themselves in the face.

Face-stabbing is so OP that now even the enemies themselves are doing it!...to themselves. ...with my help.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: June 20, 2020, 03:38:28 pm »

Decided that I would do the latest Palace from start to finish in one in-game day instead of being sensible and backing out halfway through when all my guys ran out of spirit points.

Anyhow, this dungeon asks you to get five things, all of which require a boss fight, not particularly difficult boss fights, except the last one, which involved one of my fighters going down multiple times because they are quite useless, prolonging the blood hard fight.

Anyhow, I manage to get though that with everybody barely hanging on so  I can SURPRISE BOSS FIGHT BITCH.

Long ass fight as well. I had to get everyone recovered in the first round of combat, which didn’t really matter a great deal because they all got hammered again anyway.

I kill the enemies and the game’s like lol it’s not over guy. I have to recover everyone again in terms of health and soul points because why the heck not. This fight is much easier though,

Then I muddle my way through that one and the game is still like dude, this is a JRPG there’s more. Minor recoveries this time, but the fight is still challenging enough that I need to keep recovering during battle.

Anyway, I still managed to get through the entire thing in the first day I was able to in-game, sans final boss fight because you need to come out the dungeon for that.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: June 21, 2020, 07:47:32 am »

Actually succeeded on a quest that Cassandra was certainly trying to prevent success on. I had less than 20 days to produce fear gas mortar shells(this mod), which requires, among other resources, 15 psychoid leaves. By comparison, a single snort of yayo uses 8 leaves, while flake and tea require 4. The reward for what I can only assume is Batman villain Scarecrow trying to outsource production was a pair of healer mech serums, which I have immediate need of. In particular, I have one teenage girl dying of a cascading brain deterioration due to a semi-botched resurrection.

My psychoid stocks had just been depleted making yayo, and the first thing that happens is a cold snap that effectively kills any crop production for days. Once the weather changes to my favor, I get the field sown and wait. During this, I research cryptosleep caskets and put the poor girl into one just in case I can't succeed(she's at 25%, death is 100%). Then, I get two tribal raids back-to-back while the bulk of my combat forces are off attacking an outpost quest. Note that Cassandra is supposed to give you some breathing room between raids, but this wasn't even a full day. The first attack is split into two halves; the first half attacks my main killbox entrance and gets eviscerated. The second breaches the walls on the opposite side where I built a mortar bunker, and also gets wiped by the defenders I put there.

The second raid decides to wait before attacking, and three of the six or seven of them get wrecked by mortar shells, prompting the rest to charge... right into the killbox entrance. What I didn't notice was a second group infiltrating through the breach on the opposite side. I had no idea they were there until I got a notice about a fire in my base. Even worse, two of them had occupied the mortar bunker where I had just pulled the operators off of just seconds before. Luckily, they were so busy burning my few corn crops(still hurting from the cold snap) that they didn't react to four guys with rifles forming a firing line.

In total I got four prisoners, one recruited for her exceptional combat skills. The rest were treated and released. One needed two operations to attach a peg leg since his right leg was blown off by gunfire - the first peg-leg attachment was botched badly resulting in near-destruction of the torso. The recruit is a transhumanist; she think's flesh is weak, and is ecstatic about having a wooden hand. Note that she came with it, I didn't give her one. I think I'll replace it with a power claw.

Finally the psychoid was grown enough to harvest - I ordered an early harvest around 70-75% because I had only about 10 days left to fulfill the order. I nearly shot the one guy with 4 Plants skill because he botched several harvests in a row and I don't know why he was on plant-cutting duty. In all I harvested almost 2000 leaves when I needed about 400. Then I was able to manufacture about 7-8 fear shells a day. Once the order is produced, I send it with a single colonist and horse, get there after about a 6-hour trip. I hand over the fear gas shells with about 5 days left. The courier returns with the healer mech serums, and I pull the brain-damaged girl out of cryo and have her immediately inject one. She's going to make it.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: June 21, 2020, 09:17:56 am »

Nah, if you had used hydroponics then Cassandra would have just sent a solar flare your way halfway through growing and killed the entire crop.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: June 23, 2020, 07:49:51 pm »

So there's a for-sale Master of Magic expansion/rebalance called Caster of Magic, and I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.  After a quick curbstomp on easy as an optimized Nature Summoner to make sure this wasn't Long War style of "balance" (it's not, the difficulties are pretty faithful!) I customized a wizard as Lolth, spider-queen of the Drow.  And I intentionally made her... quirky, in a war the manual very much warned about:

One book of each type (including Life!), plus a Chaos and Death
Omniscient (gives a unique resource multiplier for each separate realm of magic you have, like pop growth/production/mana)
Cult Leader (extra power and obedience from religious structures)
Guardian (Sounds nice, but think xenophobia.  Cities of the starting race get defensive and economic bonuses)
Myrran, starting in the (under)dark world as, naturally, Drow Dark Elves

Seems like an obvious build to maximize Omniscient, so what's the problem?  Well, the manual makes it clear that the endgame is balanced around the more advanced spells, spells you can't get from 1-2 spellbooks.  What I had was an economically explosive early-game powerhouse, with the incredible flexibility of access to every magic school.  But only the lowest tiers of those schools.

Fortunately, dark elf units come with various arcane powers of their own!  It accidentally felt very appropriate for playing a deity rather than a wizard, relying on my racial units much more than I ever did in the base game.  My armies mostly consisted of swarms of warlocks (or apprentices at first) screend by invisible nightblade assassins.  I supported them with practically limitless amounts of low-powered blessings and summoned beasts - including, yes, giant spiders :P  Also illusory warriors.

Life magic let me heal the worthy, Death let me paralyze foes and zombify them.  Nature gave me spiders and awareness of everything within my borders.  Sorcery gave me illusions to distract and eventually turn my foes against each other.  Chaos gave me... uh...  OH yeah I could set my units on fire to protect them from melee.  Enemies can't grab you if you're on fire :P

Things were still getting tricky by the end, though.  The Life-Sorcerer started lifting his cities into the clouds and defending them with lightning-tossing titans.  The Life-Druid met my warlocks with human magicians, cheaper and buffed with holy magic.  The Necromancer... was quite happy to trade me some lovely mid-range spells 8)

Holding the entire underworld and half the surface, I would have won by attrition eventually.  Or equipping some proper "heroes" with artifact gear.  But shadow demons fly, have powerful ranged attacks, and are very tricky to truly kill.  They're not even undead, so were able to benefit from my life magic!  The wizards of life surrendered once I had their capitals under siege.  I like to think I let them keep their little magical utopias (:  World conquest seems a little meaningless for an actual deity, I just needed to make sure these mortals didn't get any ideas.

As for the Necromancer - my shadow demons paid him a visit.  He *really* should have seen that coming, allying with a CE deity.  Also, undead are icky ;;;;)

Edit:  Drow Warlocks are pretty amazing because they get a spell Doom Bolt which does considerable guaranteed damage once per battle.  So a full stack of them can theoretically kill one to several of practically any foe!  The only problem is that they are absurdly squishy, and defenders  move first.  Hence my next plan, specializing in Blue magic (sorcery).  Invisible warlocks who fly...  Almost seems unfair, but every magic specialization gets apocalyptic game-concluding spells towards the end.  If one has enough books.  The manual did warn against what I did :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:56:08 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: June 24, 2020, 06:41:19 pm »

Happy to have my first victory vs the AI in the Total Annihilation Zero most excellent mod, it was on the simple, small and balanced 2P - Torkan Passage map (it's a map from the mod own map pack) and it was a non stop war with robots and ground/air vehicles exploding all the time from all the missiles and shots flying around :D

Very satisfying after the AI destroyed me in a couple of previous skirmishes with that amazing mod.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: June 25, 2020, 03:57:05 am »

Pokémon Firered:

Rival battle before Victory Road. My Lv50 Charizard is out and he sends in Lv53 Blastoise. I switch out to Lv44 Special Wall Vaporeon, who absorbs the incoming Water Gun with Water Absorb ability. Vapereon bites Blastoise repeatedly until the overgrown turtle is close to half health. Blastoise bites in return and sets up Rain Dance. Once rain is in, I switch out to Lv43 Raichu, who after receiving a Bite blasts Blastoise into kingdom come with a 100% accuracy Thunder.

I think I've found my Rival Champion strat.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: June 26, 2020, 12:53:59 pm »

I usually just start with thunder. pew pew.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: June 26, 2020, 08:56:17 pm »

Don't actually know if own is quite the right word, but. Just walked into a fight with like a dozen centaur archers, and won the fight by letting them shoot me in the face until they ran out of ammo. Winning strategy: Load up your giant scorpions with void orbs and let things hit them until your enemy gets tired.

Poor centaurs, though. They unloaded like, probably 150+ arrows into one of my battle scorpion units and almost. Almost, but not quite. Managed to kill one of its figures. Almost killed one, out of two. From one of my two scorpion units. Nearly managed a 1/4th reduction in giant scorpion what was trying to eat their face.

Didn't actually manage it, though. Zero scorpion figures dead, all centaur faces eaten. Whoop whoop.

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: June 30, 2020, 10:49:34 am »

Behold the peaceful hobbits halflings.  A simple folk, their love of food makes them excellent farmers but poor warriors.  They cannot build barracks or armories so even their unique unit, stone-tossing slingers, starts as green recruits.  Sure they tend to pack a few extra people into each unit, but supernatural beasts like manticores and elementals are simply immune to such mundane weapons as... pebbles.

Sure they passively produce some bonus research per pop, but such an pacifistic race is surely no more than a novelty to be conquered and exploited.

So... Life magic spells:
Heroism makes any unit Elite regardless of their experience
Holy Armor has double effect on units with weak defense
Holy Weapon makes those pebbles count as magic
Invulnerability because why not, stack those buffs
All the above is multiplied by the sheer number of bodies on the field, which Halflings have
These spells are easily paid for by their Rollout-esque economy that puts even the insectoid faction to shame, and the insectoids don't even get the advanced temples and mage guilds that grant the halfling's wizard discretionary Power resource.

Not enough, we need to go full Morganite!  Economic behavior!
Sanctify:   Makes a unit forego its wage and produce Power for as long as it lives!  We're the goodies!  They still eat, but hey look at that, we're growing more food than we can ever use! 

*cough* Anyway, I knew I was doing pretty well when I happened to contact another mono-white wizard and was unable to trade spells... because my halflings had passively researched a half dozen "techs" past her. 
Meanwhile the mono-black necromancer lord had the gall to settle an orc colony on my shore.  I let it grow just long enough to capture it and start pumping out Orcish engineers to build a road network.  Rush-building every turn because I'm swimming in economic power.
We don't talk about Rivendell.  See, only halflings get the bonuses of my Guardian perk, and the city was in an inoptimal location for my urban development...

Sorry, there's just something fun about playing "good" factions as total monsters :D  Life magic and halflings...  It's why you don't want to hang out in the Positive Energy Plane for too long in DND 3.5.

She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: July 03, 2020, 09:11:44 pm »

Got the "Silent But Deadly" achievement... in a tank. The achievement requires stealth-killing 7 enemies from behind without them being alerted to your presence.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: July 11, 2020, 09:30:36 pm »

Be Yarkand.
Pump your goldmine up and collect money.
China wont ally you because the recent changes to the map made them further away.
Escape the chagatai chokehold when Proto-Russia dows their ally they have no business being allied with.
Timmi eats a rebel sandwich, and you eat trans.
China lets you eat Tibet, but gets pissy when they eat oirat and border you.
Give land to tibet to separate you.
China eats rebs as you plot on India.
You eat china and then turn around to eat their successor state.
om nom nom more money please.

Was a harder camplaign than before the 1.3 update, due to having to wait to escape vassaldom and china wanting your stuff and india being more united before i could get to it.
Shaping up to still be an uphill battle, despite my monies.  This is my first early mid-game mingsplosion that I can exploit.  Am excite.

EUIV
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 09:32:08 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: July 17, 2020, 11:09:04 pm »

I think I won?

I mean, I got my family (myself, wife, son, uncle, mother-in-law, and niece) to safety in Obristan the night before I was presumably going to be disappeared.

*KACHUNK*

Ending 18 of 20.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: July 17, 2020, 11:10:42 pm »

How fortunate for you and yours.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 708